Gransnet forums

Chat

The Queen’s Platinum Anniversary.

(43 Posts)
annsixty Thu 12-Nov-20 14:55:50

This is being planned for with a 4 day weekend in June in 2022.

Am I the only one thinking this is premature and actually insensitive?
It is quite possible it will not happen and how many 100’s of 1000’s of pounds will be spent in the meantime.

Alegrias2 Fri 13-Nov-20 09:37:34

given the Queen’s age, also she could have abdicated before that, or do they know she’s planning to stay till her Diamond Jubilee?

If you think the Queen will ever abdicate, I don't know where you have been for the last 60 years. Do you think they made this announcement without the Queen knowing about it?

The Queen Mother lived to be 102, so my money's on the Queen being around for a wee while yet.

eazybee Fri 13-Nov-20 09:28:33

I think it is insensitive to assume the Queen will still be on the throne.

Well, tactless or what?
Let us hope she doesn't read Gransnet.

sodapop Fri 13-Nov-20 08:26:49

I agree with Jane10 nothing wrong in celebrating but the announcement was premature and insensitive.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 13-Nov-20 08:01:49

I am finding the RF to becoming more and more a total irrelevance.

Newquay Fri 13-Nov-20 07:47:12

As long as the RF pay for it all that’s fine!
It will be a good excuse to have a street party-we have had a few here and they’re so enjoyable.

Pittcity Fri 13-Nov-20 07:28:51

It'll be my youngest's 21st birthday that weekend ?

NanKate Fri 13-Nov-20 07:19:56

A rather premature announcement, however I am already looking forward to it. If I am still here, God willing, I will put up the bunting, get some nice celebratory food in and toast her Majesty ?????

vegansrock Fri 13-Nov-20 04:55:58

Haven’t we got the Brexit festival in 2021 to look forward to as well? Things rather quiet in that front. How many £££s were thrown at that?

Lucca Fri 13-Nov-20 00:11:27

Quite happy for ardent fans of the royal family to celebrate this if and when it happens, but I don’t see how it is “a glimmer of hope “ or something to “cheer us up.”
Tell me I’ll be able to see my son from Australia again and I will cheer up
Tell me there will be efficiently administered vaccine and I’ll be hopeful.
Sorry but at this point I couldn’t care less about either a coronation or this platinum thing.

Kalu Fri 13-Nov-20 00:03:07

Possibly that famous double act Cally....Boris&Dom.

BlueSky Fri 13-Nov-20 00:02:59

Calli to cheer us up perhaps? confused

Callistemon Thu 12-Nov-20 23:58:49

Jane10

I think it's perfectly reasonable to celebrate 70 years on the the throne but I do think that this isn't the time to announce it.

The timing isn't great, is it.
Who thought it was a good idea to announce it now?

Callistemon Thu 12-Nov-20 23:57:29

I do think it’s a bit over-optimistic
I think it is far too early to announce this , even if some preliminary planning takes place.

We wondered if we'd still get two days Bank holiday come what may?
If we're still around.

Other countries do have a Bank Holiday on the monarch's official birthday, it's odd that we don't.

BlueSky Thu 12-Nov-20 23:49:33

I think it’s premature to talk about an event taking place in 2022, given the Queen’s age, also she could have abdicated before that, or do they know she’s planning to stay till her Diamond Jubilee? I know they need to plan well ahead but even so no need to mention the long bank holiday just yet!

Jane10 Thu 12-Nov-20 17:50:41

I think it's perfectly reasonable to celebrate 70 years on the the throne but I do think that this isn't the time to announce it.

Pantglas2 Thu 12-Nov-20 17:35:54

I read/heard the Whit Monday Bank Holiday will be moved to the Thursday 3rd June to make it a long weekend. Bit like what happened this year.

grumppa Thu 12-Nov-20 17:29:53

My heart sank when I saw the reference to “cutting-edge technology” forming part of the celebrations. Given the government’s weakness for hyperbole, I predict disaster on the lines of track and trace. EIIR, you have my sympathy.

Anniebach Thu 12-Nov-20 17:18:12

Thank you GrannyGravy , I was puzzled.

annsixty Thu 12-Nov-20 17:14:25

I certainly was not suggesting in my OP that we shouldn’t celebrate if the Queen achieves this milestone, so please don’t misinterpret my post.
I think it is far too early to announce this , even if some preliminary planning takes place.

I think it is insensitive to assume the Queen will still be on the throne and also to be contemplating spending vast sums of someone’s money considering the state the country is in.

If big business wants to sponsor the whole thing, all well and good.

Parsley3 Thu 12-Nov-20 17:05:47

I am sure that anyone who still has a job will be delighted to have a bank holiday. It is too soon to be planning this and it’s a sorry state of affairs if this is being seen as a glimmer of hope.

PamelaJ1 Thu 12-Nov-20 17:03:51

Well it suits me. My niece is getting married on the 4th.
Do I need to book accommodation now? Is that even possible?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Nov-20 17:01:59

Anniebach the extra day will be a Friday added onto the late May Bank Holiday weekend as I understand.

Anniebach Thu 12-Nov-20 16:57:10

How is it a 4 day weekend ? There is to be an extra bank holiday, I assume this will a Monday, no one has to watch any
tv if there are programmes about it or read about it.

So how has it become a 4 day weekend?

JenniferEccles Thu 12-Nov-20 16:54:33

It’s a fantastic landmark so in my opinion it’s perfectly fitting to mark it in some way.

Obviously given the Queen’s age it may not happen but it does no harm at all to announce the plans this far in advance.

A great number of people will want to make a point of being around for it, including of course lots from other countries.

Wonderful!

Grandma70s Thu 12-Nov-20 16:34:12

It didn’t occur to me that it was insensitive. I don’t think it is.

I do think it’s a bit over-optimistic. Who knows if she’ll live that long? I suppose the organisers have a problem in that these things take a long time to arrange, so they would have to get going soon. What they would do if she - or, come to think of it, Prince Philip - dies before the date? Massive insurance policy?