Gransnet forums

Chat

Really light hearted (superficial and daft) even) thread

(196 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 16-Nov-20 08:56:21

On another post, someone suggested that it would be a good idea for posters to have avatars so that it would be easier to recognise each other.

In mind of that, I thought that perhaps we could describe ourselves a little, so that we can have a mental image?

You could start with a well known person who you have been told that you look a bit like; or a person who you would like to look like; or just give three adjectives.

So, to get the ball rolling, MrC thinks that I look like Boy George in his younger days (I know, aren't I the lucky one, blush)

I would love to look like Helena Bonham Carter, but I'd settle for Kirstie Alsop (they are sort of idealised versions of me).

I hope that we have some fun with this thread.
Do with it what you want!
Like I said, it's just a bit daftsmile

Moira29 Mon 16-Nov-20 10:16:30

My four year old grandson pointed to the TV and said to my daughter look it’s Nana. He was pointing to Angela Merkel! I have since changed my hairstyle.

moleswife Mon 16-Nov-20 10:16:57

Having just got photos for my new passport and, if that's what I really look like, I think I need an avatar mask to wear out in public!!

BlueSky Mon 16-Nov-20 10:20:01

I used to look (a bit) like Felicity Kendall in the Good Life. But she has aged better than me both in face and figure.☹️

Lollypolly Mon 16-Nov-20 10:20:06

Marydoll me too. Ann Robinson ?I used to go offshore to visit and train the guys and it was a standing joke .....you are the weakest link. All good fun and this brought some happy memories.

dorabelle100 Mon 16-Nov-20 10:20:59

it seems to me that girls look more like their fathers and boys more like their mums than the other way round - any thoughts on why ?

kittylester Mon 16-Nov-20 10:22:35

I did look like my dad but am looking more and more like my mum.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 16-Nov-20 10:25:30

I am an apple shape , with a big round body but very skinny legs so I suppose I look like a lollipop ?

Hetty58 Mon 16-Nov-20 10:26:41

Joanna Lumley (that's what people always say) quirky, fair with 'teeth'! It's not fair - as I'm seven years younger.

msgoonerjc Mon 16-Nov-20 10:28:51

Chubbier around the face. Glasses and headwrap definitely me

optimist Mon 16-Nov-20 10:30:35

People tell me that they do a "double take" when they see a woman on Dragons Den as she is the image of me (I dont know her name) and someone else said I look like Judy (not Richard!(.

AuntieDote Mon 16-Nov-20 10:30:44

Sorry to be a grump but there is too much emphasis on what a person looks like these days.

Pamaga Mon 16-Nov-20 10:31:40

I apparently look like my Dad's mother who died before I was born. In terms of celebrities I've been likened to Eleanor Bron, Alex Polizzi, Harriet Walter and Princess Alexandra. Don't see myself like Bron, Polizzi or Walter but I do see some resemblance to Alexandra.

Shropshirelass Mon 16-Nov-20 10:33:48

I lived in the states in my early twenties, shopping in Saks in Chicago, they thought I was Diana Rigg! Can’t see that myself! But not sure who I would like to be compared with apart from my Mom. I try to stick to her values, she is 98 and still cares about her appearance. That will do for me. I am just me.

Kikibobby Mon 16-Nov-20 10:34:21

A few people have told me I look like Helena Bonham Carter, not sure if this is a good thing or not...

Pudding123 Mon 16-Nov-20 10:34:51

One of my relatives who I had not seen for years came to my wedding 40 years ago said I was a Joan Collins look alike and about a year ago one of my friends said I always think you look like Joan Collins ...that's hair dye for you !

Violettham Mon 16-Nov-20 10:35:59

Lexisgranny. I think I would be very pleased with that.

FannyCornforth Mon 16-Nov-20 10:37:29

AuntieDote

Sorry to be a grump but there is too much emphasis on what a person looks like these days.

Shoo!

Marydoll Mon 16-Nov-20 10:37:58

Oh dear AuntieDotie, this is meant to be a lighthearted thread to try and balance the forum, in view of the recent spate of nastiness.

No-one is being asked to post pictures of themselves, the thread is about avatars, you can look like what you want in an avatar. No-one cares how you look.

Now I'm grumpy! sad

FannyCornforth Mon 16-Nov-20 10:38:17

Kikibobby

A few people have told me I look like Helena Bonham Carter, not sure if this is a good thing or not...

It's a blooming amazing thing!

Jacquetta Mon 16-Nov-20 10:39:27

Every morning I think when I look in the mirror I'm going to see Audrey Hepburn.
And what I get is my Mother ,with a touch of Thora Hird.

Quizzer Mon 16-Nov-20 10:39:52

When younger I was mistaken several times fir Pam Ayres the poet. One lady was so upset that I denied it that I gave her 'Pam's' autograph. Oops!

Calendargirl Mon 16-Nov-20 10:41:12

When I was younger, my niece thought I looked like Belinda Lang, the actress from the sit com 2.4 Children.

If only.

Craftycat Mon 16-Nov-20 10:45:00

I used to get told I looked like Anita Harris- I was not impressed as at the time I was in my teens & Bowie & The Stones were more my thing!
I always wished I looked like my Mum who was stunning but I took more after my Dad's side of the family. I do have her legs although nowhere near as long.

GrammarGrandma Mon 16-Nov-20 10:45:19

I've been told Judi Dench.

LauraNorder Mon 16-Nov-20 10:45:25

What my grandchildren did to me with a daft app, and how I really look, I wish