Gransnet forums

Chat

Karma?

(111 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 12:49:23

Do you believe that "what goes around, comes around"?

Is it just the consequences of our actions that catch up with us, naturally, or is there a more organised system of ensuring people reap what they sow?

Or, is it a load of twaddle?

mrsgreenfingers56 Thu 19-Nov-20 10:00:35

I do wish it was true for such people as Peter Sutcliffe and Myra Hindley, OK they aren't here now but boy do I wish something gross had happened to those two.

mernice Thu 19-Nov-20 10:00:40

Hi, from a Buddhist point of view Karma is not a punishment and not decided on by any supernatural being. It is a question of cause and effect. Every action, thought and word registers on our subtle mind and creates an imprint which goes with us to other lives where the reaction (Karma) takes place. So we sometimes see immediate Karma, sometimes not in this life.
It seems to answer for me why some people have charmed lives, others such difficult times. Seems more plausible to me than it being random. NB It really isn’t a punishment.......cause and effect. We are in charge of our own lives. ??

DaisyL Thu 19-Nov-20 10:01:04

Not sure I believe in Karma, but but I do think that living well is the best revenge and as the wise old Buddha said 'Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die'. We can only live our own lives and if we are lucky enough to be happy we should appreciate that. I don't believe that bad people, even if they are rich and successful on the outside, can be truly happy - that comes from inner peace and people with terrible disabilities can be very happy and millionaires miserable.

Astral Thu 19-Nov-20 10:10:43

Karma is for the next life, so there is no way of knowing but reason to be hopeful

Dee1012 Thu 19-Nov-20 10:15:23

I'm conflicted over it...my Mum was a genuinely good person but suffered horribly during the last five years of her life. She was only in her 40s when she died.
Her sister however was awful, she was nasty, vindictive, immoral and caused havoc within the family.
For a long time (and I do feel guilty and sad about my feelings!), I couldn't understand why my Mum had experienced so much sadness, ill health etc and her sister just sailed through life and actually appeared to have a lot of "luck", I was actually quite angry about it for a long time too although I think a lot of that was more about the loss of my Mum.
Fast forward to now....my Aunt isn't in good health and her actions have left her pretty much alone in life.
She really has reaped what she sowed!

Phloembundle Thu 19-Nov-20 10:21:17

I absolutely 100% believe in karma because it happened to me, and resulted in me having to save someone's life in reparation for something bad I had done to them.

Athenia Thu 19-Nov-20 10:21:24

I often reflect on this aspect of our lives. What I have realised is that we do create our own emotional resonance by the choices we make about how to live. When I stop my car at a pedestrian crossing, the smile I sometimes receive is a lovely thank you. If I help a stranger with no thought of return, the feeling i have is so good! So this, in itself, is a law, that we create our own emotional well-being by how we relate to those around us, and to ourselves. It comes from being able to love ourselves first, and from that springs our desire to be a blessing to others. People who are destructive to others are usually hurting inside themselves. Humans naturally help and cooperate with each other, and that has been proven by experiments with very young chi;ldren, even if our materialistic society would like us to think otherwise. If we act and live in a way that is considerate to others, we ourselves reap the reward. Right living, with a clear conscience is its own reward. So that, to me, is the law of Karma in action.

Coconut Thu 19-Nov-20 10:23:33

I think many people would apply for the job as a Karma delivery driver ?. We live is such a beautiful world but it’s so marred by the evil it contains in so many people.

Sadgrandma Thu 19-Nov-20 10:25:52

Is coronavirus natures way of punishing humankind for the way we treat our world?

Flowitree Thu 19-Nov-20 10:26:31

Very good explanation here of what karma is and how to change it from
a Buddhist perspective httpp://buddhisminwestminster.org/changing-karma-by-dr-kawada-sgi-vice-president/

LauraNorder Thu 19-Nov-20 10:29:46

I don’t believe in karma as a reward or punishment, either individually or collectively.
I do believe in consequences both individually and collectively. Everything we do has consequences.
Yes the corona virus is a result of farming animals poorly and cruelly for our food.
My COPD is a result of me choosing to smoke in my earlier years.
However someone’s broken leg is a result of slipping on a banana skin discarded by another, the banana having been grown and imported by others and so on.

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Nov-20 10:49:27

Woodmouse

Yes, I do believe in Karma. You reap what you sow. Whilst it seems that some people escape punishment for their actions, I sincerely believe that eventually they will pay the price.

Yes... and if not in this life, then in the next.

Theoddbird Thu 19-Nov-20 10:52:24

Absolutely believe in it. Karma goes with us in our many lives as well as the life we are living in at present. Instant Karma can happen as well.

Bazza Thu 19-Nov-20 10:53:01

A very tiny example of karma. I was walking through our local car park, and saw a pile of rubbish on the ground that some vile person had just cleared out of their car, very close to a bin too. I picked it all up, hoping to find some identification, there was none, but there was a plain white envelope with £15 inside.

Athenia Thu 19-Nov-20 11:02:09

What a wonderful example, Bazza!

Elegran Thu 19-Nov-20 11:02:12

LauraNorder The rapid spread of the corona virus is largely due to the speed of travel and the way people whizz around the globe just for a week or two on an exotic beach. Perhaps it is also Karma for not considering the impact of mass tourism?

LauraNorder Thu 19-Nov-20 11:15:32

Elegran yes agree the spread is a consequence of our apparent need to travel around the globe just as climate change is a result or consequence of the need to travel or to use plastic or some people feeling they have to buy a plastic elf or pooping flamingo because it’s a thing

LauraNorder Thu 19-Nov-20 11:17:56

Bazza sometimes our actions result in something nice, I would call that £15 a piece of good luck.

Buffy Thu 19-Nov-20 11:22:35

My sister always maintains ‘what goes around comes around’ and I think that’s the only way to get happily through life.

petra Thu 19-Nov-20 11:22:39

Many years ago we worked with a lovely man who was going through a hard time financially. And then to crown it all, his car died.
We had a spare car that we didn't need. We said to him: take it until your ok. When he got back on his feet he said to us: Here are 3 premium bonds, I hope they are lucky for you.
They were. One came up with a sizeable win on it.
We have been let down, though with people we have lent money to.

Milest0ne Thu 19-Nov-20 11:22:50

My grandmother lived by the belief that it you give it away it comes back to you 3 times, even just a helping hand. On from that, she said "pass it on" Just a smile works wonders

Cambia Thu 19-Nov-20 11:39:38

Karma never loses your address!
I do believe in it but sometimes it seems a bit slow coming. It is a nice thing to live by thoughts very much the same as do as you would be done by.

Janburry Thu 19-Nov-20 12:37:29

Probably not but it doesn't stop me from believing in karma, especially as there's an ex out there who l really need it to be true for ?

BusterTank Thu 19-Nov-20 12:44:21

Yes I believe in karma and truly believe what's goes around comes around . Everything goes full circle in life .

rosecarmel Thu 19-Nov-20 12:51:17

Karma isn't intended to be "believed"- If it were, what is it that's being "believed" in?

It has nothing to do with what anyone "deserves", but seeing what's actually occurring at the moment and meeting that moment with compassionate action-

By definition, in ancient texts, it means action- But it's picked up baggage through the ages, especially after arriving in regions where "an eye for an eye" was believed and as a result lost it's original meaning in translation-