Gransnet forums

Chat

Where do you keep your car keys

(37 Posts)
kittylester Fri 20-Nov-20 17:00:45

There has been a spare of thefts of, and from, cars in our village, mostly targeting keyless cars.

My car is keyless so I'm a bit worried!! We keep our keys in a tin in a drawer in a chest in the hall!! I hear differing views on whether this is as good as a Faraday Box.

Anyone know?

Where do you keep your car keys?

welbeck Fri 20-Nov-20 19:26:10

Buffybee

My garage and drive are at the back of my house, so I leave by the kitchen door. I keep my car fob in an empty packet of Uncle Bens rice in the kitchen cupboard.?

you'll need to change that packet, else it will be a give-away, as uncle has been dropped from the brand name.

welbeck Fri 20-Nov-20 19:28:17

i have no knowl or exp of keyless cars, but i read on MN that there is a real key hidden in the keyless fob.
in case the electrics fail presumably.
can anyone confirm this.
i can't imagine it. must look like a skeleton ?

Buffybee Fri 20-Nov-20 19:38:15

Thanks for the reminder about Uncle Bens name change welbeck.
I always change the packet with a new one, every time we have an empty one, otherwise it would become tatty. But we mustn't have eaten much rice recently, as it's still Uncle Ben.

J52 Fri 20-Nov-20 19:50:07

Yes I had a ‘real key’ in the fob. It looked a bit like a tooth pick.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 22:09:15

In a shopping basket. Our terrier is the house alarm, and very affective. No one will get in without the alarm going off.

lemongrove Fri 20-Nov-20 22:17:30

Pantglas2

Yes, LauraNorder, James (my chauffeur) tells me he is most diligent and keeps the keys about his person at all times.

I shall make it my business to ascertain the truth of this assertion later......?

He’s getting bladderd in The Argy .....I shall perform this service for you Pantglas......I like a man in uniform.

lemongrove Fri 20-Nov-20 22:20:25

Mine are in whatever handbag am using at the time .....this poses a problem when I go out as I have rows of handbags sitting on a shelf, and it takes mucho rummaging to find keys.

Kamiso Fri 20-Nov-20 22:32:13

My DD had both cars stolen. They had left the car keys on top of a built in meter cupboard in their hall. The police said that the gang that they suspected may well have attacked them with baseball bats if they hadn’t found the keys so easily.

Nadateturbe Fri 20-Nov-20 22:37:58

Ours are on a hook beside the front door. I prefer them to steal the cars and leave us alone.

NanKate Fri 20-Nov-20 22:40:13

My DH who is very security conscious brings all the keys upstairs at night and puts them in our bedroom.

Marmight Fri 20-Nov-20 22:43:18

I understand wrapping keyless fobs in aluminium foil has the same effect as a faraday pouch? I keep mine in a drawer well away from the front door and the spare in a safe place which I have to keep a note of as it’s so secret, I forget ?