Gransnet forums

Chat

Night Owls of Gransnet

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 12:24:45

Hello All
I'm often awake in the small hours,
for a variety of reasons which I'm sure that many are familiar with.
So I'm starting this thread for anyone in the same position.
We can chat, share our 3am worries, whatever.
If you fancy popping on for whatever reason, here is the thread for all Night Owls moon
See you later x

FannyCornforth Wed 02-Dec-20 03:46:03

cornergran I've been hankering after a bungalow for years.
I'm making do with a stair lift (5 more get ups!)
Thank you, I join you for a cup smilebrew

Mollygo Wed 02-Dec-20 04:04:43

That must have been really scary Fanny. I hope it doesn’t give you nightmares. It’s ‘cup of tea’ time here -DH woke up, unusually for him and as I was reading, he thought a drink might help. Here’s hoping.

FannyCornforth Wed 02-Dec-20 04:12:08

Thank you Molly - it went from scary to confusion to very worrying to rather exasperated and confused again in fewer than ten minutes.

No nightmares yet, touch wood, I do suffer from them, but I have just had a rather odd dream about Jeremy Clarkson.
Celebrities seem to be making regular appearances in my dreams of late.

Valels Wed 02-Dec-20 04:17:39

It's good to know I'm not the only one awake at this ridiculous hour!
Would love a cuppa, but can't get up as DH is a light sleeper and slightest noise wakes him. Any minute now he'll be telling me off for tapping too loud on the screen of my Kindle!
Back to my boring book. Can anyone recommend a good series of detective novels please?

Mollygo Wed 02-Dec-20 04:20:11

?That’s certainly a weird dream, but now I’m singing “Jeremy Clarkson had a farm” in my head. I saw him on the news the other day. What other celebrities pay you a Dreamtime visit?

Kim19 Wed 02-Dec-20 04:21:08

Jeremy Clarkson is one honoured guy then, Fanny! (hi!)

Mollygo Wed 02-Dec-20 04:26:44

Valels I like Peter Robinson’s DCI Banks. I also like Linda Fairstein books and anything by Faye or Jonathan Kellerman but I can’t read them at bedtime.

Valels Wed 02-Dec-20 04:35:34

Thanks for the suggestions Mollygo (how do you add 'bold when using a kindle? I've never worked that out) . I've read most of the Alan Banks series as they're set locally and I like to try to work out where he is. I enjoyed Anne Cleeves Vera series for the same reason. Haven't tried the other authors, but will have a look as I could do with some daytime reading too!

Valels Wed 02-Dec-20 04:42:29

bold Think I've just worked out how to do it!

Marmight Wed 02-Dec-20 05:09:41

Morning! I woke at 3 which is better than still trying to get to sleep at 3 - I think ?. Strange things dreams. I used to bore the socks off my late DH each morning with my dream exploits.
These days, I dream lovely dreams but as soon as I’m awake, they disappear which is very annoying.
Valels have you read any of the Peter May or Patricia Gibney series? I have them on Kindle along with various Val McDermid books - (quite gruesome)
Now for tea and marmite toast and maybe back to sleep for a couple of hours

JackieBee1 Wed 02-Dec-20 06:50:28

What an unpleasant experience FC. Hope you're asleep as I type. x

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 02-Dec-20 06:56:17

Good morning all. Thought I'd just pop in and say hi.
My sleep pattern has been awful for years. I rarely have a problem falling asleep,although that has happened twice since March.
Like many my biggest issue is waking up any time between 2.30 am and 4am. I havent been working since the end of March and that seems gradually to have eased the problem a little so I usually wake up at around 4am. Often I will read. Sometimes I now fall asleep until around 8am. One thing I have noticed is that its during these last few hours that I have the most vivid dreams. Often they are just non sensical but sometimes they are quite alarming,enough that I often feel I'd rather get up! I must admit,other than feeling tired I do relish the early mornings. If I wake later I feel like I've lost a big chunk of the day!
Fanny your experience with your neighbour sounds absolutely terrifying, especially the initial shock of someone banging on the window.!
I've lived on my own for the past year which I'm fine with. I live in a small close where there is always a friendly face around or a helping hand if you need it. I feel very lucky.
Years ago I always fancied living in a house in the middle of nowhere. I'm not sure I'd like that now!
I do sympathise with your neighbours choking episode. Several years ago I was having a meal at home with my daughter,it was steak which I rarely have anyway. A piece went down the wrong way,after what seemed like a very long time I managed to cough it up. The incident lasted long enough for us both to be alarmed though.
I must admit I havent eaten steak since and I'm much more careful.
I dont know whether it's because I usually work in care but I'm finding I'm much more aware of the potential for falls etc. I'm not quite 60 but feel much less agile than a decade ago!

Redhead56 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:29:18

Valets these are on my kindle The library of the Worlds best Mystery and Detective stories by Julian Hawthorne. The Lock and Key Library Classic Mystery and Detective Stories in Modern English same author brilliant short stories.

Valels Wed 02-Dec-20 23:33:57

Marmight I've read the Peter May Lewis Trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed them. And a couple of Val McDermid, definitely gruesome, although the Kate Brannigan series isn't too bad. Will have a look at the Patricia Gibney series. Thank you.

Valels Wed 02-Dec-20 23:35:43

Redhead56 I haven't come across the books you mentioned, sounds intriguing so will have to look them up.

Mollygo Wed 02-Dec-20 23:49:03

Well it’s bedtime again. I put it off earlier in the hope I’d feel more tired and I do. Fingers crossed for a peaceful night for the night owls!

LauraNorder Thu 03-Dec-20 01:19:10

Well it seems you’re all in the land of nod while I’m faffing about on my phone. Putting my brain in a clear jar by the bed, watching all the little yellow strands gently unfurl in a colourless liquid has worked for a week now but not tonight.
Oh well, will try again, nighty night.

BBbevan Thu 03-Dec-20 02:04:46

Morning all. Raining outside and I can hear the sea today. Windy too. I am reading an old Inspector Banks on my kindle so shall go to that in a moment. Read until I feel sleepy again.

Mollygo Thu 03-Dec-20 02:37:43

Windy and rainy here too. I was beautifully asleep, having dozed off reading, then as I rolled over in my sleep, my Kindle fell on the floor and I’m awake again. Hopefully I’ll drop off again soon. It’s quite light here because the family across and 3 houses down from us has gone festive. They usually put them off at midnight.

Flora5 Thu 03-Dec-20 02:43:48

Can't sleep

Flora5 Thu 03-Dec-20 03:40:06

Still can't sleep ...oh tomorrow will be a disaster I shall be a zombie hmm

Woodmouse Thu 03-Dec-20 03:46:43

Good morning Night Owls! So annoying - deliberately came to bed at 12.30am, expecting to get a good night's sleep and woke up at 3.30!
I've got a busy day ahead of me. Off to Newcastle shopping!

Woodmouse Thu 03-Dec-20 03:57:22

Well, no point just coming on here to tell people that I'm awake so I'll tell you a little bit about what's going on in my world.
This summer we sold up in Suffolk and moved to north Northumberland - absolutely for no other reason than we fancied a change of scenery and liked this part of the country. We have no connections here whatsoever! We're in the process of buying a small apartment in Suffolk to use as a base when we do go back. I'm going shopping tomorrow to buy bits and pieces for the apartment. That's probably why I can't sleep - busy head.

Greenfinch Thu 03-Dec-20 04:06:52

Hello Night Owls. Am envious of those who can hear the rain,wind and sea as that usually gets me off to sleep.Except I don't live near the sea !Came to bed early and got a few hours in but then woke up again about 1.30 and can't seem to get off again. Hope you are having a better night Fanny after your dramatic experience.

FannyCornforth Thu 03-Dec-20 04:09:15

Good morning Night Owls
Just made chocolate ovaltine.
I've only quickly scanned the previously post, so I'll go back and read properly now.
I see you live in Northumberland Woodmouse, you lucky thing. It's the most gorgeous part of England.
Its my lottery win place, that or rural Scotland.
Back in a mo.moonbrew

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion