Gransnet forums

Chat

You never hear of a bossy boy

(92 Posts)
Lucca Mon 23-Nov-20 18:52:01

My DGD does like to be in charge, she really enjoys “teaching” friends or her brother (or her granny!) how to do things.
Sometimes she overdoes it and we’ve had a tendency to say “don’t be so bossy”. However we were talking about this and realised “bossy” is only applied to girls . Do you agree ?

Galaxy Tue 24-Nov-20 15:30:42

I have had excellent female bosses, statements about our own work experiences rarely tell us anything, they simply paint a small picture of our world and possibly highlight our own subconscious prejudices and beliefs.

hugshelp Tue 24-Nov-20 15:32:13

Doodledog

I wondered how long it would take to hear how awful women bosses are grin.

I have heard this said more than once, and always by women who don't like being managed by other women but happily defer to a man. They perceive women managers as 'bossy' and 'interfering', when they see men doing the same things as 'authoritative' or 'efficient'. Just as has been said on this thread about children - funny that.

I've seen that on occasion. Add in the fact that in many professions only the women who were the MOST outspoken, efficient, and able, as judged by their male peers were able to progress it's not surprising that some women in management positions may be perceived a bossy.

Daisend1 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:49:26

LauraNorder
Agree, men control. Well they try.grin

Lucca Tue 24-Nov-20 16:07:10

Nannan2

No ive had bossy boys in the family also.

Yes but the point I am making is that boys are rarely called “bossy” even if they are !

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 24-Nov-20 16:16:33

'Fraid my DD1 as a toddler we called her bossyboots. Nothing's changed now as a 40 something! She'll tell me what to do when to do it ,etc. Her 4 year old daughter is becoming an equal bossyboots!!

eazybee Tue 24-Nov-20 16:22:24

I agree with your comments about Priti Patel, *Blue Ruby*; I thought the senior civil servants emanated spite and resentment, and no actual incident of swearing at a colleague was quoted. Certainly she shouldn't swear at staff, and needed reprimanding, but not a sacking offence. I understood that part of her brief was to make the civil service more efficient, and it was acknowledged that certain members were being obstructive.

CBBL Tue 24-Nov-20 17:24:38

There are double standards in many instances still - and I agree that this needs to change. I do recall the former Speaker of the House being considered "Bossy" and even that he was regarded by some as a Bully - so some men at least, have that label levelled at them. My "pet hate" is the way many people criticise women for the clothes they wear! It's true that women have more fashion choices than men, but so few people comment on a man's choice of clothing!

Summerlove Tue 24-Nov-20 21:57:41

Terri, I’m glad I had it wrong then.

But you should read again how it came off.

As far as being a strong minded opinionated, I’ll take that as a complement, thank you.

Summerlove Tue 24-Nov-20 21:57:50

*compliment

LauraNorder Tue 24-Nov-20 22:33:24

Daisend1

LauraNorder
Agree, men control. Well they try.grin

Sorry, you’ve got the written no end of the stick.
I was listing perceptions. It is not my opinion that men control.
I’m sure there are controllers in all genders but certainly not all of one gender.

LauraNorder Tue 24-Nov-20 22:34:12

The wrong end of the stick, bloody predictive text

Joyfulnanna Tue 24-Nov-20 22:42:51

I like female bosses and I'd rather have one boss me about any day.. ?

Iam64 Wed 25-Nov-20 08:46:20

Phew - I've had many managers over the years, some good, some mediocre and some awful. I was promoted, rather than my two male colleagues who were interviewed at the same. I walked into our team room to hear one of them saying "you only get promotion here if your'e a lesbian or a breast feeding mother". Our director was female and gay, I had relatively recently returned from maternity leave. The other candidates were men.
I wonder whether we expect more of women in management. Rather like we seem to expect more of our mothers

Lilyflower Wed 25-Nov-20 09:21:26

Yes, this version of misogyny pervades our culture.

I organise every aspect of the lives of my DH and, often my DS too, because they like drifting through life without having to think.

The DH never complains when it is in his interest and saves him effort but, if he's asked to do something he doesn't want to do, he calls me 'bossy' and has what actually amounts to a toddler tantrum.

I watched this happen with my mother and father and learned that her dependance on him came from having no control over the money.

So I am 'bossy' about the finances too. I have taught my brilliant, organised and organising daughter to be financially independent too.

If women were not 'bossy', the world would fall apart in two minutes.

So hooray for all the 'bossy' little girls!

Joyfulnanna Wed 25-Nov-20 12:28:44

Hooray lily.. Wholeheartedly agree.. Where there's bossy there's life, interest and vitality.. You can't please all the time, esp the men!!

Forestflame Wed 25-Nov-20 12:40:33

When it comes to Managers, I have had a number of female ones. Some were excellent and others were s**t, just as I had some male managers who were excellent and some who were s**t. It's the attitude and management skills that makes the difference, not the gender.