Gransnet forums

Chat

Which tier after lockdown?

(107 Posts)
mamaa Thu 26-Nov-20 12:38:24

We were in tier 1, numbers still low in my area but going to tier 2 after lockdown. Not surprised as I think it’s quite sensible to try and ‘squash’ the virus further, in less affected areas before the Christmas easing.

I do think though that being a bear and hibernating until Spring is actually the answer- sleep lots, lose extra weight and wake up to the Spring and hopefully better days. flowers

annsixty Thu 26-Nov-20 12:58:41

Well we stay inTier3 in spite of reducing infection rates and a good overall number.
However we are lumped in with Greater Manchester in spite of being 1 mile from Cheshire.
You have to have a cut off point I realise, still upset though.
We have some lovely restaurants near, I fear some of them will never open again.

jusnoneed Thu 26-Nov-20 13:13:44

Tier 2. Cannot believe only 3 places in Tier 1 - we will all have to move to Scilly, Cornwall or IoW!
This will be the final nail for many pubs/clubs. It seems they are the only places being kept shut.

suziewoozie Thu 26-Nov-20 13:22:51

Was Tier 1 now tier 2. Glad I bought the patio heater

Kate1949 Thu 26-Nov-20 13:27:08

Tier 3 here in the West Mids.

Susan56 Thu 26-Nov-20 13:28:15

We were tier 1, now tier 2.We are on the Shropshire/Powys border.

MellowYellow Thu 26-Nov-20 13:34:52

I'm in Cornwall. Felt quite emotional when they announced we'll be in Tier 1. When I look at the numbers of visitors we've had plus the students I can only imagine the virus must be blowing away here!

Daisymae Thu 26-Nov-20 13:36:07

Tier 2. Not surprised although we are relatively low on infection rates there's area of the county that are very high. I guess that we will be here till the spring.

Smileless2012 Thu 26-Nov-20 13:46:15

Tier 2 and pleasantly surprised smile.

Missfoodlove Thu 26-Nov-20 13:47:56

3.... first time our city has been top of the league. ?

sharon103 Thu 26-Nov-20 14:00:09

As I thought, tier 2 in Northamptonshire.

Desdemona Thu 26-Nov-20 14:11:07

I am on the border of Bristol/South Gloucestershire, both of which are in tier 3 - can't say I'm surprised.

Maggymay Thu 26-Nov-20 14:12:41

We were in tier 1 now it is tier 3 .
We are one of only 3 areas in the south west in 3 ?

Greyduster Thu 26-Nov-20 14:12:51

Tier three still. Deeply disappointed because if what I have read is to be believed, our numbers were coming down, despite the fact that we have two universities. What was the point of the bloody lockdown??

EllanVannin Thu 26-Nov-20 14:14:54

Tier 2 in Wirral, dropped from tier 3 but it won't change anything for me because I won't be doing anything different than I did from March. Home Alone until next year so long as I can stay virus free.

LullyDully Thu 26-Nov-20 14:14:58

Looks like most of us are tier, 3 apart from the Isle of Wight, Isles of Scilly and Cornwall.

Mamardoit Thu 26-Nov-20 14:16:28

Not going down well it the East Midlands. People on local sites cannot believe everywhere rural (except Rutland) has been put into tier 3 and London is in tier 2. Leicester must be feeling they will never come out of lockdown.

Lucca Thu 26-Nov-20 14:22:42

Call me cynical but what difference will it make. Many many people will do exactly what they want !

Blossoming Thu 26-Nov-20 14:23:17

Tier 3

Ashcombe Thu 26-Nov-20 14:24:09

It’s interesting that London is Tier 2 with a higher rate per 100,000 than Greater Manchester which is in Tier 3. Equally, deciding tiers according to counties doesn’t take into account Tertiary authorities.
I live in Torbay, Devon which is in Tier 2, but Cornwall is on Tier 1, which will be interesting for folk who need to cross the Tamar for any reason.

B9exchange Thu 26-Nov-20 14:33:19

What annoys me is that they don't publish the criteria for being in each tier, so those with lower rates who are in a higher tier can feel justifiably annoyed because there has been no explanation why. It also means that even if you see the numbers in your area drop dramatically, you have no idea whether your tier level will change.

Those of you who want to avoid all contact until next summer at the earliest will have no problem which one you are in, but for pubs, restaurants, hotels and theatres, it makes planning impossible and will cause many heartbreaks and suicides as there is no forseeable way out.

Cabbie21 Thu 26-Nov-20 14:47:33

We are in Tier 3, no surprise there, though living in a rural area we have fewer cases.
My daughter runs a holiday cottage and cannot reopen, but why is that unsafe, when people can mix in shops, hairdressers etc?

MiniMoon Thu 26-Nov-20 14:59:33

We are in tier 3 too. Although the infection rate in Northumberland has been steadily decreasing in the last few weeks, we are being lumped in with the rest of the North East. We are only about 5 or 6 miles from Cumbria which is in tier 2.
My DiL is manager of a local pub which cannot reopen. Fortunately she has secured a part time job in a grocery shop, so has some income. DS's job isn't affected.

humptydumpty Thu 26-Nov-20 15:06:47

I heard an MP for Kent on the Today program expressing the view that the whole county shouldn't be in 3 because Swale has the highest rate in the country, but I do feel that boundaries have to be drawn somewhere and at least everyone knows where county boundaries are.

Sparklefizz Thu 26-Nov-20 15:11:50

Tier 3 here in the West Country - I am not surprised! Loads of people flouting the rules plus an illegal rave for 700 people a few weeks ago.