Gransnet forums

Chat

To Tell Or Not To Tell

(72 Posts)
Pennylane4711 Sat 28-Nov-20 16:10:53

I work in the beauty industry. I should be retired but will not be able too for 4 years. Recently I have lost my confidence a little and have decided it’s time to have a little surgery abroad (face lift) I’ve done my research and am totally happy with my choice but I have a question that I would love to hear your thoughts, around who to tell and how much to tell. I have always been a very private person, I don’t want to lie to anyone but also I don’t want to discuss the ins and outs either. I’ve told my children and partner but I don’t know what to expect from friends and work colleagues. I will be out of action for two weeks which may go unnoticed depending on the lockdown situation. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Please no negativity about my decision.

Rosina Sun 29-Nov-20 10:51:27

Entirely your business - I would simply carry on, and if anyone comments that you look well/younger then smile and thank them! A colleague appeared at work after a holiday looking most refreshed - she had previously had a very lined face, and I commented that her holiday had done the world of good - she looked ten years younger. She beamed, but didn't say anything, and I later heard she had had a facelift 'on holiday'. Good for you!

Fizog Sun 29-Nov-20 10:57:53

I thought the point of plastic surgery was to appear miraculously younger....no point telling all and sundry.
Just accept the compliments in exchange for the pain!

Theoddbird Sun 29-Nov-20 10:58:06

Best you wait until covid is in the past. I would not say anything if I had something done.

Graygirl Sun 29-Nov-20 11:05:15

A friend of mine had such drooping eyelids caused vision problems. Taken care of on NHS because of this. When complemented on how good she looked just smiled coyly and whispered good sex life it was hilarious to watch peoples faceswink

DC64 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:06:43

If your partner and kids are fine with it, that’s all that matters ... it’s your face, your choice and if it makes you feel better about yourself and have the extra confidence you are needing then go for it - extra extra due diligence on the surgeon though.

Bazza Sun 29-Nov-20 11:06:53

Tell no one! Nobody looks at you the way you look at yourself. I speak from experience. I hope you’re pleased with the results and it gives you your confidence back. It’s really nothing to do with anyone else.

Kim19 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:07:16

No need to tell anyone you don't want to. Certainly don't deny it if you are asked directly (yes, I'm afraid some people are that rude and intrusive) but a gentle swerve into something like 'I'm flattered you think I look that good' will frustrate them no end. I hope it all goes well for you. You certainly seem to have done your homework. I could use the treatment but much too cowardly!! Good luck.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:07:52

It’s up to you wether you tell people, I think people will notice anyway it’s not as if you will look the same as you did, no ones business really!

henetha Sun 29-Nov-20 11:12:32

I agree with others who said that this is not the time to be having it done, but apart from that, go ahead and do whatever you like. And you don't have to tell anyone, it's your choice and your business.

Sarnia Sun 29-Nov-20 11:15:48

A friend of mine had extensive dental work done in Turkey. There were lots of doom and gloom merchants telling her horror stories of having work done abroad and this was long before Covid. She now has beautiful teeth and had no problems during or after the surgery. Do whatever you want to do. I would agree with other posts to wait until this nasty virus has gone. You won't have to tell people what you have had done, hopefully they will be able to see. Good luck.

Aepgirl Sun 29-Nov-20 11:18:47

I’d say nothing unless somebody asks! However I would urge you to think very carefully about going abroad for surgery (have you watched Botched on TV?). It may be cheaper, but there’s usually reason why.

Moggycuddler Sun 29-Nov-20 11:22:42

Another vote here for don't risk going abroad or having surgery that's not necessary until the covid situation is a lot better. Not worth risking death for looking a bit younger. But when you have it, don't tell anyone if you don't want to!

Sparklefizz Sun 29-Nov-20 11:23:54

If this is a genuine post, then I would say 2 words about plastic surgery abroad - Katie Price.

dogsmother Sun 29-Nov-20 11:30:04

Oh Penny fantastic!
Do not pay any attention to the nay sayers here, I would not be afraid to tell the truth to any one expressed an interest.
I’ve not had anything done, a family member had surgery after massive weight loss. Also a friend went to Turkey for major dental work all very successful. But hold your head high, why not.

petra Sun 29-Nov-20 11:31:26

Sarnia my friend had her teethe done in Turkey A-may- zing. Then her check up 3 months later was done in London.

Sparklefizz
That same friend has had 3 procedures done in Lithuania. Perfect ?

Grandma11 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:41:38

Whatever you decide to do, research and speak to others who have used the same Clinic and surgeon in that Country and who you are confident that they are not part of the establishments 'Sales Team'. I agree with the advice given earlier in this thread regarding waiting until the Pandemic is over and their is less of a risk of you acquiring Covid by traveling abroad.
My Niece used a Clinic is Turkey just prior to the Covid Crisis started to have her excess skin removed after undergoing weight loss surgery on the NHS. She visited the clinic in person and checked them out first before booking her consultation, and found that they had a few English trained surgeons on their books who had either returned to their homeland or had retired to Turkey and were working part time. Her surgery was sucessful, took four visits to complete, removed loose skin from her Arms, Apron, and Thighs, and was completed by Breast implants to lift and reshape. Her total weight loss after surgery was a massive 15st 9lb!

JCB1 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:45:31

Do what the celebrities do, just say you have good genes, eat healthily and have plenty of exercise.grin

Cuckooz Sun 29-Nov-20 11:49:17

You don’t need to tell anyone. Just enjoy the compliments. Good luck with your surgery ?

Joyfulnanna Sun 29-Nov-20 11:53:50

Yes enjoy the compliments.. Remembering you're doing this for yourself.. Its nobody else's business

jaylucy Sun 29-Nov-20 11:55:55

Why tell anyone beyond your closest family? Or would you prefer to wear a badge stating "I've had a lift can you notice the difference?"
As a private person, would you be blabbing about your sex life? That's private too!

4allweknow Sun 29-Nov-20 12:03:14

Surely you won't have to tell anyone, they will notice anyway or it's not been worth the bother. If anyone does ask why not tell? It would be difficult to get them to believe it was all due to a marvellous two weeks of facials, you'd be hounded for info on that.

Annaram1 Sun 29-Nov-20 12:15:10

You want a face lift? Why not, its common practice these days.
I have had botox and fillers in a well known clinic and look much younger because of these simple procedures.
However at the moment perhaps it is advisable to stay in this country for a while.

Daisend1 Sun 29-Nov-20 12:46:22

I had 'nose' cosmetic surgery several years ago and used my annual holiday plus a few days on the sick to have it done. This was carried out in the UK.Never told anyone other than my nearest and dearest. Obviously hmm a change was noticed by friends and work colleagues and told I 'looked different ' I left it at that. My business not theirs

Jess20 Sun 29-Nov-20 12:58:39

I think if I was that worried I'd make a massive change in my hairstyle at the same time to draw attention away from any facial work and accept any comments about a change in my looks as down to that ....... 'yes, not keen on the style/colour but I'm told it does make me look younger' type of response.

Stella14 Sun 29-Nov-20 13:23:48

It’s well known that people don’t recognise that a facelift has been done (unless it’s done repeatedly al la LA). You just look refreshed. Others think you look very well, but can’t put there finger on what’s different. I speak from experience when I say that is true. You don’t need to tell people.