Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(60 Posts)
12Michael Tue 08-Dec-20 06:09:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its another cold and frosty plus foggy start to the day here in Brackley .
Hoping my day goes to plan , done the urine sample, have switched form having coffee to herbal tea , more refreshing .
Plan to visit Bicester as well.
Take Care ,
Mick

Urmstongran Tue 08-Dec-20 10:51:40

Good morning everyone from South Manchester. It was raining 2 hours ago but has stopped.

I’ve finally been able to post - my iPad ‘outages’ are getting worse! I can’t wait to be sprung this weekend and plan a bus trip (Yorkshire lass has our car to get to the hospital where she works since hers went kaput) to the dreaded Trafford Centre. It’s local to us - we could even walk there in under an hour if we wished! I only go in-and-out. I’m like most men, I’m not one for a mooch about and dislike shopping really. I go if I need something. Himself of course is delighted ha!

Whilst waiting for my iPad to come out of hibernation I watched the tv news. Seeing 90 year old Irish lady, Maggie, being the first to get the Covid vaccine in Coventry administered by a lovely nursing Sister from the Philippines made me quite emotional. It brings it home how much this global pandemic has affected so many of us - isolation, shielding for many, cancelled milestone celebrations, long+Covid to name just some effects.

I started reading a book on my Kindle yesterday. It’s an Agatha Christie ‘Poirot’. I’ve seen films of course but realised I’ve never actually read one of her books. Delightful! ‘The Murder of Roger Hargreaves’ which was written in 1926. Love the prose - talking to a butler - ‘Look here, Parker ...’.
?

This has ended up a super long post, sorry. It must be the anticipation of being allowed to join in (finally).

I can’t go without saying how much I hope Iris makes good progress grandMattie it must be such an anxious time for you all. I ❤️ that knowledgeable and kind grans on here support one another so much and have suggested practical avenues that could be tried. Good luck there. x

Pittcity you sound a bit low today. Aren’t you moving house in a few weeks? I dare say you’re in limbo and that is a difficult time even when things go relatively smoothly. Try to embrace the ‘not much happening’ on your calendar and make the most of some R&R while you can?

Glad to hear the acupuncture worked some magic for you Nannytopsy pain must be draining.

Right - I’ll shut up and let some lovely other get a word in edgeways! Hope Tuesday is good to us all. You’re always in my thoughts gillybob when I post each morning. I like to think you still read Mick’s thread. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Oh, PS ... our Covid warrior enjoyed her half day teaching yesterday - she said it made her quite emotional to be back.

Shutting up now.

Taichinan Tue 08-Dec-20 11:05:00

Good morning Mick and all from a rainy Angus coast today. grandMattie I am so, so sorry about poor little Iris, who must be so terrified by the pain and angry that no one can take it away. Her parents must have the same emotions and her sister, who is only a child too. Some serious medical intervention is called for - she surely hasn't been deposited home without backup? And you must feel so helpless yourself. I'm glad your DD found a chance to call you - it didn't exactly put your mind at rest, but it must have been a relief for your DD to offload a little Thoughts and prayers are all I can offer ?

I woke up very late this morning after losing a couple of hours'sleep in the early hours to this terrible itching. It's back to the pharmacist today, I think.
I spent a lovely couple of hours at the garden centre yesterday and did an amazing interpretation of 'Spend, spend, spend'! I did begin to feel a wee bitty Christmassy at last! I drove home the scenic route and stopped off at a little Danish Christmas shop which is in an old country school in the middle of nowhere. It has been going for at least the past 15 years, but sadly it looks as if this might be the last - I do hope not though. I bought the troll in his knitted robe and tall felt hat to look after my tartan reindeer in a clash of cultures. I have attached a photo of them beneath my tree-that-isn't-a-Christnas tree (it's a white maple - or it's leaves are maple-shaoed anyway). Love your window, Ash - that's so effective.
Anyway I haven't had the chance to read the posts - there are hundreds of you early birds ahead of me! I must nip out to the shops as the larder shelves are no longer groaning and I have completely run out of fresh veg and butcher meat, and then come back for a good read of everyone's derring do.
Have a good day everyone and try to find just one thing to laugh at ????

Grandmabatty Tue 08-Dec-20 11:19:23

Good morning All. I'm late today as I've been shopping. It's very wet in Polmont and there are bouts of heavy, chilly rain. I nipped to a local town as I wanted to get dd a voucher for her Christmas from the salon she frequents. Of course, I was there before it opened so I wandered about little. I managed to buy torbay sole from a lovely wee fish shop as I missed the fish man in my street. Then picked up the voucher and had a chat with the girls who all know my daughter ?. That's not a surprise as she supplies them with cupcakes too. Back home, a quick trip to aldi to buy food for dgs as I'm having him Wednesday and Thursday this week. Then I walked to the post office to post the last of the cards. I knew I had forgotten someone! And I picked up a radio times to sort out festive viewing. I'm only just sitting down with the first mince pie of the season and a cuppa. Phew. I've skimmed the posts and I'm sorry to see wee Iris is having a tough time. My heart goes out to her. Have a good day all.

Ashcombe Tue 08-Dec-20 11:53:57

Grandmabatty:
Hooray! hooray!
Sole from Torbay!
???

Urmstongran Tue 08-Dec-20 12:17:54

Love the little troll with your tartan reindeer Taichi and it’s great you support your local Danish independent.

Going forward I think many of us will start shopping more locally and supporting our own communities. Farm shops (luck you who have them nearby!), butchers, craft shops, independent book shops. The big boys in town can take a hit for their shareholders as far as I’m concerned! Yes I’ll still go to Sainsburys but buy less and top up buying from small concerns who desperately need our money.

annsixty Tue 08-Dec-20 12:24:30

Good afternoon on a wet and miserable day here in Stockport.
This is what I am coming back as “next time”
I hope Fern is soon doing this soon soop.

annsixty Tue 08-Dec-20 12:35:45

While I did want to greet you all, that post was meant for soops kitchen ?tchblush

Pittcity Tue 08-Dec-20 12:45:31

Thanks for worrying about me Urmston. I'm more bored than low.
Tier 2 and rubbish weather mean loads of time indoors. I am not used to spending so much time with DH ?
Yes we're in limbo with our house move and DS will soon be home from his Naval Base for Christmas. Then I'll have too much to do. xx

Urmstongran Tue 08-Dec-20 13:37:47

??