Gransnet forums

Chat

Does everyone have a cleaner except me?

(209 Posts)
Luckylegs Mon 14-Dec-20 14:37:43

My daughter is trying to get me to have a cleaner as she says my kitchen and bathrooms aren’t kept clean enough! I’m struggling at the moment as we are doing up and decorating the conservatory and dining room (all the same room) including sanding the wooden floor and painting it plus the hall prior to having new carpet. Consequently, every single room is stuffed to the gills with furniture, boxes, pictures, mirrors etc.

I’d love a cleaner (never ever had one) but I’m here most days and would be embarrassed to have someone cleaning whilst I’m doing something else or sitting on my iPad! It’s impossible just now as we’re in such a mess, we’re in tier 3 so presumably can’t have anyone in and I’d probably wait until after Christmas but I just wondered if most people have a cleaner?

PS I’m dealing with my daughter.

Luckylegs Mon 14-Dec-20 15:26:27

lemongrove I wouldn’t dare! She’s a very bossy headmistress and won’t listen to any back chat! She actually said I would tell her if I felt something wasnt right and it was for my own good!

Puzzler61 Mon 14-Dec-20 15:28:20

I don’t know If it would work for you and your DD luckylegs but if I was being admonished about the tidiness or whatever of my home by my DD, I would say to her that she was overstepping the mark by criticising and her manner was upsetting me and I would rather she stopped right now.
Would that work do you think?
I feel so sorry for you being upset. Please try not to let it upset you. ?

Puzzler61 Mon 14-Dec-20 15:30:18

Oh dear, x posts. Maybe my idea would fall on deaf ears with your daughter ?

sodapop Mon 14-Dec-20 15:34:47

Sounds like you and your daughter see things differently Lucklegs I think she just wants what is best for you but sees it entirely from her own view point. Maybe you need to sit down and talk about how you want your home to be. Could you compromise by having a one off big clean with an agency once you have finished all the work you are doing. A lot of your time is spent helping your daughter so some help with house work would be good.

BlueBelle Mon 14-Dec-20 15:35:19

I ve never had a cleaner, even when working with kids I would never have a cleaner I don’t like housework but I would feel a complete failure if I had someone do my work for me
Neither would I like to have a daughter rummaging through my kitchen (I m sure she’s lovely luckylegs) but my daughters or son would never ever do that they never did it when they lived at home and wouldn’t presume now My eldest does ask me if things are in date occasionally, for instance one day she had toothache and asked if I had any clove oil I said of course and got a little bottle out of my medicine drawer She took one look and said I think you d better throw that out (it was 16 years out of date ???) she went and bought herself one and me one too, I still think it would have been ok

BlueBelle Mon 14-Dec-20 15:38:32

You say go for it nankate but £12.50 is a meal to a lot of people I don’t mean that unkindly but not everyone can afford that out of their pension

annsixty Mon 14-Dec-20 15:40:32

I had a cleaner until the first lockdown.
She decided that she didn’t want to continue and I haven’t had one since.
My GD lives with me and she has been keeping things ticking over but we are getting a new one, we hope, after Christmas.
I really do appreciate it.

Harris27 Mon 14-Dec-20 15:42:18

Just a working class girl,so no couldn’t afford one if I’m home it gets cleaned!

AGAA4 Mon 14-Dec-20 15:45:38

I have always done my own cleaning but sometimes think it would be nice to have a cleaner but would feel very guilty about someone else clearing up after me.

EllanVannin Mon 14-Dec-20 15:46:54

I've got too many nik-naks to knock over----I'd be mortified grin.
My dad's family, there were 4 children, were brought up with a maid. Granddad was a police officer so could afford one in the 1900's. I used to love hearing about all the pranks they used to play on her.
Needless to say, mum used to wait on dad hand and foot, as did the wives of the 3 brothers, so it created laziness.

Smileless2012 Mon 14-Dec-20 15:53:13

I don't have a cleaner and if I did, would probably clean before s/he arrived and not that I'm fussy or anything, but I'm not sure the cleaning would be done as well as I do it myselftchblush.

cornishpatsy Mon 14-Dec-20 15:59:51

I used to have one but had to go out when she was cleaning as it felt awkward and she would keep chatting instead of cleaning.

I would not have one now as I live alone in a tiny house.

I think they are great to have as a monthly deep clean if you dont need them on a regular basis.

ginny Mon 14-Dec-20 16:04:11

It’s understandable that things are quite unto par at the moment wit all the work you are having done.
You say you do your daughters washing and ironing ?
I think I would be telling her that I wouldn’t be doing that any more,so that I had time to keep up
with my own housework .

Jaxjacky Mon 14-Dec-20 16:05:08

Luckykegs how rude! Especially as you do so much for her, I would suggest if your standards of cleanliness are not high enough for her, she or they, cook for themselves every night of the week and uses a laundry service for her ironing, I used to have a cleaner when I worked f/t, was a single Mum and travelled a fair bit, but not since. The idea of a deep clean occasionally is tempting though.

kircubbin2000 Mon 14-Dec-20 16:10:34

I don't have one now but for a while when babies were small I had one. She mainly liked to Hoover but house looked ok. Then a few years ago I had another who loved to bleach everything. I found a brand new towel in the bin as she has spilt bleach on it. It was fine after a wash although colour ruined. It's annoying clearing up before they come and checking what they have binned!
My dil offered to tidy my kitchen cupboards after I came out of hospital. He did it very neatly but forgot to clean the shelves he had rearranged. After he left I had to put everything back in place as he had put all the things I use regularly up on the top shelf out of reach!

kircubbin2000 Mon 14-Dec-20 16:11:46

Son in law. Auto correct.

janeainsworth Mon 14-Dec-20 16:15:20

Lady Muck here grin

My cleaner comes once a fortnight - she used to come once a week when I worked full-time.

I clean toilets and sinks & hoover the hall, bedroom and kitchen in between her visits, but that's it.

She's worth every penny.

SuzannahM Mon 14-Dec-20 16:29:53

Luckylegs - we're going through the same as you, moving things around from place to place so we can decorate. I concentrate on keeping the bathroom and kitchen clean, the rest gets a quick hoover and dust when I get around to it.

I've given my sitting room a good clean today before I put the decorations up - but moved all the normal ornaments to other rooms out of the way so although the sitting room looks nice for a change the other rooms are chock a block grin.

It will all get sorted eventually and anyone who doesn't like the mess can stay out of my house until the painting is finished and the rooms back to normal. That will be sometime 2023 I think.

Juliet27 Mon 14-Dec-20 16:30:28

NotSpaghetti

I flippin hate it too GagaJo except hanging out laundry which I love! smile

Me too NotSpaghetti but everyone seems to tumble dry everything here.

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 16:30:37

do her washing and ironing

There's your answer, Luckylegs

Stop doing her washing and ironing and you'll have plenty of time to clean your own bathrooms and kitchen.

That is not a joke, btw, why on earth are you doing the washing and ironing for them?
Does she pay you?

Callistemon Mon 14-Dec-20 16:33:42

Luckylegs

lemongrove I wouldn’t dare! She’s a very bossy headmistress and won’t listen to any back chat! She actually said I would tell her if I felt something wasnt right and it was for my own good!

You are her mother, not a pupil!

I've never had a cleaner and sometimes this house feels like the Forth Road Bridge.

silverlining48 Mon 14-Dec-20 16:33:45

I like the idea of a good monthly clean. Maybe one day, but its not easy finding someone you are comfortable with.

Cabbie21 Mon 14-Dec-20 16:45:46

I used to have a cleaner once a week when I was working but not since I retired. I have been very busy these last few days ( getting car sorted, writing Christmas cards, choir practice and recording a Carol service, volunteer work, all safe and legal) so the house is dirty. DH says don’t look at it but the dust is obvious and the dirty floors. He isn’t bothered.
When my mum was alive but very frail I urged her to have a cleaner as I had to help her out even though I was working full time and had my own cleaner, but she wouldn’t hear of it.

Maybe get someone in to blitz the place once the workmen have finished, Luckylegs?

Missfoodlove Mon 14-Dec-20 16:49:42

Sadly no more, COVID means I’m not earning so the cleaner had to go.

I had a cleaner some years ago who used to pronounce delicatessen “ delincontestant “ the children thought it was hilarious?.

midgey Mon 14-Dec-20 16:50:09

Luckylegs I would say your daughter had had a very bad day and needed to take it out on someone! At least it wasn’t her children!