Gransnet forums

Chat

Does everyone have a cleaner except me?

(209 Posts)
Luckylegs Mon 14-Dec-20 14:37:43

My daughter is trying to get me to have a cleaner as she says my kitchen and bathrooms aren’t kept clean enough! I’m struggling at the moment as we are doing up and decorating the conservatory and dining room (all the same room) including sanding the wooden floor and painting it plus the hall prior to having new carpet. Consequently, every single room is stuffed to the gills with furniture, boxes, pictures, mirrors etc.

I’d love a cleaner (never ever had one) but I’m here most days and would be embarrassed to have someone cleaning whilst I’m doing something else or sitting on my iPad! It’s impossible just now as we’re in such a mess, we’re in tier 3 so presumably can’t have anyone in and I’d probably wait until after Christmas but I just wondered if most people have a cleaner?

PS I’m dealing with my daughter.

Shropshirelass Tue 15-Dec-20 21:40:14

No, I don’t but my husband gets stuck in and helps. I know I am lucky.

hollysteers Tue 15-Dec-20 22:14:14

Yes I have some help in the house. I like the word ‘help’ for that is all it is and I don’t expect miracles. I joke I’m allergic to housework and envy those who really enjoy cleaning.
I do my big shop while she cleans and it makes me tidy up before she comes which is a good thing.

kittylester Wed 16-Dec-20 14:40:23

I would like to call ours 'help' hollysteers but that would be exaggerating my part in all of it. grin

Sparkling Wed 16-Dec-20 14:45:48

I wouldn’t want one, I would be cleaning the house and hiding things before she got here.

Rosina Thu 17-Dec-20 11:44:18

If your housekeeping standards suit you - in the normal run of life, and not particularly now when you are in chaos - then it is not your DD's business. Perhaps when the work is done you could get a cleaning company in for a one off clean. I had a cleaner at one point - it was a disaster. My house got dirtier and dirtier because I was working full time, and where I had rushed about and done my best, I didn't do anything while we had dear Millie. I truly believe she had never dusted in the whole time we employed her , and must have switched the vacuum cleaner on upstairs and then relaxed on our bed with the newspaper.

Fennel Thu 17-Dec-20 17:14:27

I think 'home help' is a better name.
We had a major fallout today about our very good helper.
Somehow I can't get used to another woman in our house.
Nice as she is, and helpful as she is.
Maybe I need therapy, or blame it on the virus. Or old age.

M0nica Thu 17-Dec-20 20:05:32

Call them what ou will. I have never had one - which does not preclude me needing one at a later date.

kittylester Thu 17-Dec-20 20:35:20

I don't actually need one MOnica but I love having one.