Gransnet forums

Chat

What to say

(35 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 17-Dec-20 15:10:53

I stopped contacting one of my old friends a few years ago when she behaved very selfishly and let me down.
I have now heard her husband is terminally ill and my son says I should ring her. I tried last night but he answered the phone so I hung up.
Should I try again and what can I say after so long?

PollyDolly Sat 19-Dec-20 14:42:31

Kircubbin, I've sent a PM.

ExaltedWombat Sat 19-Dec-20 15:04:17

'Let you down'? She murdered your cat? Or one of those things when you'd invested a lot in a social occasion and she just didn't realise how IMPORTANT it was?

If no-one actually died, get over it.

Luckygirl Sat 19-Dec-20 15:08:31

You put the phone down!!!????

I am sure that there were lots of other things you could have said than "I heard you were dying?"

Maybe you could have said who you were and asked to talk to his wife.

When my OH was teetering towards the end of his life it was so good when friends did not pussyfoot around.

AJKW Sat 19-Dec-20 15:28:14

As I’ve got older I’ve learned to forgive and not hold grudges. Phone and make amends. We can all let people down and we are all capable of selfish behaviour, but she was good enough to be a friend once so she can’t be so bad.

Bluecat Sat 19-Dec-20 17:16:04

I have been estranged from my sister for years. When I was extremely ill, three years ago, my family asked if I wanted them to contact her. I said no - even if she responded, I didn't want her to visit me out of pity.

Your friend might feel the same. Getting in touch with someone just because they or a member of their family is dying doesn't really make them feel better.

lemsip Sat 19-Dec-20 17:43:57

I agree with Bluecat!

justwokeup Sat 19-Dec-20 18:17:07

Exactly what Bluecat said!

Tangerine Sat 19-Dec-20 20:41:41

I think it depends on how you feel she let you down.

Have you got past it? I think, if you would like to resume the friendship or at least express some sympathy, you could send a note to your ex-friend. What's the worst that can happen? She could ignore it.

She may respond positively and you could resume the friendship. As I said, it depends on why you fell out perhaps.

lizzypopbottle Sat 19-Dec-20 20:54:25

In all this time of not contacting her, has she tried to contact you? If not, since maintaining contact with friends is a joint responsibility, she obviously hasn't missed your friendship so maybe you should just accept that.