Gransnet forums

Chat

are we running out of things to discuss........

(189 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 22-Dec-20 09:43:44

Someone asked is this 'what we are reduced too' referring to another person's post. I guess we are running out of things to discuss as none of us are going anywhere, all our social activities are no longer available so can't discuss the pros and cons of those, and we are relying on the news, family issues and the more mundane areas of life to put up posts. What do you think?? this is not a critisim just an observation. smile

Namsnanny Tue 22-Dec-20 13:04:15

The other day FannyCornforth commented that she had to draw attention to her thread 3 times before anyone posted.
I too have left threads which havent been taken up, I just thought people didn't like the topic.
Maybe we arnt being brave enough to investigate different sounding titles?
I know I miss quite a few threads, especially as I dont go o the political ones very often.
Perhaps I should take my own advice and branch out?

Namsnanny Tue 22-Dec-20 13:05:32

cornishpatsy

I think more people are conversing via private messaging or Whatsapp groups.

I've thought that too!

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Dec-20 14:51:23

Namsnanny

The other day FannyCornforth commented that she had to draw attention to her thread 3 times before anyone posted.
I too have left threads which havent been taken up, I just thought people didn't like the topic.
Maybe we arnt being brave enough to investigate different sounding titles?
I know I miss quite a few threads, especially as I dont go o the political ones very often.
Perhaps I should take my own advice and branch out?

It was my 'Christmas Recommendations' thread (nothing controversial - don't panic!)
Its first incarnation got zero replies.
I reworded it slightly and reposted it on another day and it got pages of responses.

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 15:43:44

Maggiemaybe

Did anyone else used to drink brandy and Cherry B, or was that just me and my BFF?

Brandy and Babycham!

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 15:48:23

I also drank sherry!! shock

I still drink sherry kittylester
But it must be well chilled very dry Tio Pepe!

My favourite drink is a cup of tea, strongish with milk, no sugar, if anyone is offering.
brew

Shinamae Tue 22-Dec-20 15:49:05

Cherry B and Pony!!.....(A little drink with a big kick!)

SuzannahM Tue 22-Dec-20 15:52:17

Nothing wrong with a bit of trivia... the thread about toffees really made me laugh.

I drank Bacardi and Lime for a few years. Until I realised it made me positively evil.

Ilovecheese Tue 22-Dec-20 15:54:58

I like the political threads best.
I hardly ever think about the past so don't do much nostalgia, although I know that lots of people enjoy it. Therefore I would never say that a thread is "boring" I just realise that it is not of much interest to me.

Maggiemaybe Tue 22-Dec-20 15:57:20

You’re right, Callistemon. Brandy and Babycham was one drink, cider and Cherry B another. Mixing them wasn’t a good idea.

Severnsider Tue 22-Dec-20 16:13:39

Remember Sherry Bars, Very popular in Bristol in the 1960s. Special glasses, you could have a glass or a schooner or a double schooner, and there were about 10 different varieties of sherry on offer.
Whatever became of all those sherry glasses?

LauraNorder Tue 22-Dec-20 16:22:24

Gosh you were very sophisticated in Bristol Silversider We only had Yates Wine Lodges in Liverpool.

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 16:34:32

To answer travels....yes, I think we are running out of ideas for discussion.Now, did I ever tell you about the time I cleaned out the teapot recently and almost dropped it?

AGAA4 Tue 22-Dec-20 16:39:28

I used to love the milk shake bars when I was a young teen. Which one to have strawberry, chocolate or vanilla. It was a rare treat so I had to choose well.

Ilovecheese Tue 22-Dec-20 16:41:34

lemongrove I would give you a thumbs up emoji if I knew how to do it.

Iam64 Tue 22-Dec-20 16:46:32

I drank halves of bitter or Guinness in folk clubs. Then I joined a pottery class and went for a drink with the tutor. He encouraged me to try a brandy and baybcham (or three). I'm not saying any more.....

Millie22 Tue 22-Dec-20 16:46:33

Dry martini and lemonade....love it.

Desdemona Tue 22-Dec-20 16:50:09

My mother drinks sherry. Lots of it. She is 91 and if anyone gives her a gift of anything other than sherry she is miffed.

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 16:50:19

?? I gave myself this one Ilovecheese ?

Ellianne Tue 22-Dec-20 16:53:06

Are we reduced to being a nation obsessed with alcohol? Discuss.
I think that is closer to the truth!

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 16:55:00

....and whilst we are ruminating on that thought Elliane shall we have a large Baileys?

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 16:56:09

Severnsider

Remember Sherry Bars, Very popular in Bristol in the 1960s. Special glasses, you could have a glass or a schooner or a double schooner, and there were about 10 different varieties of sherry on offer.
Whatever became of all those sherry glasses?

I went to Harvey's many years ago, Severnsider, for a tour and sherry tasting.
It was very interesting and just as well we went on a coach (and without OHs).

I remember those schooner glasses. In fact, I wish I had a set.

Ellianne Tue 22-Dec-20 16:56:43

Pastis for me. Now that is an acquired taste!

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 16:58:23

I was going to refrain from having an alcoholic drink this week until Christmas Day but we have a family Zoom meeting one evening, neighbours outside their front doors another evening.

Mince pies, nibbles and mulled wine not essential but ...

sodapop Tue 22-Dec-20 17:01:59

I was really ill after a night out on rum and blackcurrant - disgusting.

My family Whstsapp group is much quieter than usual as we have nothing much happening in our lives at the moment. It's the same on GN I think, how many dog walks and baking sessions can we discuss.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Dec-20 17:05:40

I used to drink Babychsm with a cherry or CherryB as a young teen but if a boy took me out it was Drambuie or Benedictine
I rarely drink nowadays apart from an odd fruit cider but strangely enough on the few occasions I do I could drink virtually a whole bottle of anything without feeling any different you d think I d get drunk as a skunk with me not being much of a drinker