Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday (Christmas Eve)

(111 Posts)
12Michael Thu 24-Dec-20 06:15:31

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but and looking a cold day out there this morning , here in Brackley .
With restrictions facing me in the last week of 2020 , it will be an interesting ending to as well.
Anyway , as to the good morning , I have changed it slightly over next few days , by putting the actually day of the week first ,and then in brackets the respective day as you see.
I will have quiet day today ,and maybe get a Chinese takeaway curry later .
Take Care ,
Mick

Ashcombe Thu 24-Dec-20 06:25:14

Good morning to you all from a peaceful but chillier (than of late) Torbay.

Here we are on that day of anticipation for children of all ages. I can still remember that excitement from 60 years ago!

A few last minute items are needed from local shops, including fruit and veg from a recently opened greengrocers, which has beautifully fresh produce. It’s easy to support a small business which sells good products. Yes, it costs a little more but it’s less hassle than driving to a busy supermarket and saves on fuel.

A photo of the first Christmas Eve when Mary and Joseph journeyed to Bethlehem. May peace and happiness be yours this holy night.

grandMattie Thu 24-Dec-20 06:26:16

Good morning from a cold windy E Kent.
Perhaps the poor lorry drivers will be able to escape from double incarceration today/soon.
I’m showing you my only concession to Christmas decs. No pale leaves as it was too wet to go int the garden yesterday.
Today, the last bits and pieces. Above all, I must stay cheerful - feeling low again.
We sent DD and family an Italian hamper. After chasing, it was due on 29th! Thankfully it arrived last night. A very excited DD called to thank us. I had said that the should open it ASAP to spread Christmas a bit.
Have a happy, fun day, even if little is done stay safe. X

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 06:28:32

Morning Michael! Haven't even hazarded a look out of the window yet. Much too cozy/lazy here. Sounds peaceful so that's a good start. I'm going to fill my day with last minute bits and pieces. Deliver cards to neighbours, little bits of wrapping for GC, start packing the car and then ease into the 'eve' gently with probably a bit of telly and undoubtedly much reminiscing. Hope you enjoy whatever you do. That's my plan.

Lucretzia Thu 24-Dec-20 06:35:46

Good morning to you lovely people.

I'm not a poster on this thread but thought I'd make Christmas Eve the day I do!

Have as good a Christmas as possible

Love and peace to all. X

Urmstongran Thu 24-Dec-20 06:36:43

Good morning Mick and all who follow from a dark but seemingly mild South Manchester. The train from Oxford Road into Liverpool Lime Street has just stopped at the station across the road. It was all lit up in the dark but very few passengers aboard and only one person alighted here at Urmston.

What a good idea Mick about putting the special days in brackets - it will help us all remember the significant days better!

I had the best day health wise yesterday in over a month and am hoping I’m turning a corner from what seems to have been a nasty viral infection. No earache nor one sided throat pain and just somehow better in myself. More cheerful. I’m hoping normal service has been resumed. That said, I’m aware we have t heard from GrandmaFrench for a few days and hope all is okay over there?

A gentle day. All shopping done no need to go into a supermarket now until around February haha! A walk in the park later then over to see my stepfather. He received delivery a bottle of malt from his 95y old brother last weekend and I’ve promised to have a wee dram with him this afternoon. I’d best sip it, I’ve not had a drink in five weeks since before I left Spain when I started to feel unwell.

Hope Christmas Eve is kind to us all whether we have plans or none. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

grandMattie Thu 24-Dec-20 06:38:06

PS if you’d like to see DD officiating and preaching tonight/tomorrow, PM me and I’ll give you details.

Bellasnana Thu 24-Dec-20 06:38:23

Good morning from Malta where the weather is good. Yesterday turned out to be so sunny that DD3 and I went for a coffee and actually felt too hot sitting in the sun.

Nothing on the cards today apart from the hairdresser. I’ve no cooking to do as I shall be going to DD3 tomorrow.

Wishing you all a good day.???

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Dec-20 06:40:02

Happy Christmas Eve everybody!
Wishing you all a relaxing, peaceful and 'uneventful' day
With lots of love from me in Derby x

Urmstongran Thu 24-Dec-20 06:43:47

Good morning to you Lucretzia. Lovely to have you join us! Newbies are always welcome here.

We do like to know where you’re posting from (you too Kim19) and what the weather is like. And most importantly, the value of your house.
?

kittylester Thu 24-Dec-20 06:44:28

Good morning all from a perishing cold North Leicestershire. The wind was blowing a hooley during the night.

Busy day here today. We are delivering to DD3 in near Market Harborough, having fish and chips in the park with DS1 and then delivering his food and lastly doing a doorstep delivery to DS2. I must also nip next door with 2 chocolate elves for the lovely little boys.

Then a big sit down!!

Have the best day possible everyone.

grandMattie Thu 24-Dec-20 06:56:56

Urms, you forgot to ask me how much Chateau Mattie cost? Well, FYI it’s about £2.5m, set in glorious Kent countryside. Bob Geldof is a near neighbour as is Barry MacGuigan. (I wish)?

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 06:59:09

I'm in the far north, U, and my house is undoubtedly worth millions!! Merry Christmas!

Susan56 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:04:13

Good morning from Shropshire.It feels much colder this morning so still in bed waiting for the heating to come on before I go down to make a cuppa.

Welcome Lucretzia??

We finally finished the Christmas jigsaw so the dining table is now free and I can get it ready for tomorrow.I have a lovely festive tablecloth we bought in Sorrento many years ago and napkins from Tenerife.I have always bought an ornament for the tree from wherever we have been on holiday so lots of good times to remember.

DGS is thankfully starting to feel better?

Hope that Grandmafrench is ok and that Cherry and Mary both had a restful night, also that Mr Doodle is continuing to improve.

Thinking of all our absent good morningers and wishing everyone the best day possible.

Kim19 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:11:25

Just had a peek out. My goodness, the cars are so white and it's not snow. Thank heavens for my CH. Definitely linger a while longer in bed now. Oh yessss.

Nortsat Thu 24-Dec-20 07:12:05

Good morning and happy Christmas Eve Mick and the GM team from east London where it is pitch dark.

The grocery delivery arrived safely, with everything we had ordered, except pigs in blankets. They had been substituted with chicken wings!! I hate chicken wings.

It’s so nice to read about everyone’s plans for present deliveries and meet ups. I especially loved Kittys ‘I must nip next door with 2 chocolate elves...’

Lots of kitchen bits for me today. The presents are all wrapped and safely delivered. There’s quite a significant pile under our tree too.
We’re having Confit Duck with red wine and cranberry sauce for supper this evening, with a bottle of something nice.
Christmas Day for two and some family zoom tomorrow.

Thinking of those with worries and poorly loved ones. Hope Maryd and Cherry had a good night. Hope Iris has a fun day today. Good morning gilly. Have a good day, all. ?

Sar53 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:22:05

Good morning from Essex by the sea where it is still dark, but my goodness it was windy during the night.
I had two lovely surprises yesterday, a box of flowers from DD2 and then about half an hour later a parcel of goodies from DD1. I had a few tears as I haven't seen either of them for months and I miss them and my granddaughters very much.
The gammon was cooked yesterday evening and now resides in the cool utility room along with myriad boxes of sweets and biscuits.
We are hoping to get out for a walk later this morning, so long as we don't get blown away.
Have a happy Christmas Eve everyone ??? xx

Beauregard Thu 24-Dec-20 07:23:31

Good morning all from a dry but cold Derbyshire.

Still lots to do today as we didn't get the cleaning and tidying done yesterday. Then I have a gammon to slow cook, presents to deliver and a too good to go bag to collect from a local bakers. Later we'll set the table and do some of the prep for tomorrow. Tonight's dinner will be what has become a Christmas Eve tradition for us over the years - cheesy leek and ham bake with jacket potatoes - not sure what started it, probably because it can be prepared in advance and cooked later.

Glad you're feeling so much better Urms just in time for Christmas.
Hopefully Grandmafrench will be along later. Perhaps she's been called upon to give some of her sound advice to Pres. Macron. Seems to have helped!
NanKate thank you for offering to sell me your house (in my strange dream last night!!). Unfortunately Urms I woke up before I found out it's value!!

Hope Christmas Eve is a good day for all.

brook2704 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:24:13

Good morning mick and all from Inverness where irs turned much colder and it’s a frosty icy start to the day. There’s a bit of snow in the forecast for today so will see if we get a white Christmas...
A very warm welcome to Kim and Lucretzia I hope you enjoy waking up to this lovely thread each morning.
So pleased you’re feeling much better today urmston
Today I might pop into town for a walk by the river as there’s lovely Christmas lights to enjoy. I could pop in somewhere for a last Christmas coffee before everything closes here, the same as many other places, for at least 3 weeks on Boxing Day. This evening we’re getting together with our neighbours on our doorsteps similar to what we did in the first lockdown on Thursday evenings. There’s a couple of neighbours playing musical instruments and we’ve all been given carol singing sheets to join in! Bring your own mulled wine and hot water bottles to keep warm - should be fun!
Hope everyone facing any worries and struggles has a kind gentle day today and finds something, however small to enjoy.
Take care all whatever the day brings ?

baubles Thu 24-Dec-20 07:26:05

Good morning Mick, morning all from S Lanarkshire where it’s dry but cold as far as I can tell.

I had a disaster yesterday with the ham I was cooking for DD. For some reason I didn’t notice that it wasn’t encased in netting, nor tied in any way as is usual. I was cooking it on the hob with the intention of glazing and finishing off in the oven however after I drained the water the ham just fell apart. Not only that but the fat and rind slid off the meat leaving me with several large chunks of very tasty boiled ham but it’s a million miles away from the impressive glazed centrepiece I usually cook. I’m now rushing out to the supermarket for a replacementangry

Hope everyone has a peaceful Christmas Eve.

Beechnut Thu 24-Dec-20 07:26:19

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. Thank goodness it looks like it is drying up.

Your Christmas table sounds lovely Susan.
I’m glad you’re feeling better Urm and your house value always raises a smile from me.

I think it’ll be a day of gathering things up ready for tomorrow and trying to keep relaxed.

Thinking of you all ?

Pantglas2 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:27:17

Morning Mick and all from a dry but dark north Wales where I’m enjoying the chamberpot ☕️ and listing things to do - culinary wise?‍?

Welcome to Lucretzia and Kim19 to the bestest thread, lovely to have newbies join in as some regulars are missing in action! I thought I’d missed Grandmafrench, Urmstongran- hope she hasn’t gone on a ‘trip’ - like me ?

As an aside, can I recommend Elemis SOS cream for cuts and grazes - I’m no longer the scabby dog ? and that Botox effect didn’t last!

Your Mediterranean festive table sounds lovely Susan56 - I do something similar when we Xmas at mi casa in Spain- send us a pic tomorrow before you scoff and quaff!

I’ll pop back later to read everyone’s doings......

annsixty Thu 24-Dec-20 07:32:56

Good morning all from Stockport.

A very strange Christmas Eve for many of us I think.
No rushing round with last minute preparations for me, two reasons, I am past rushing about for anything and secondly nothing to prepare for, as in days long ago.
I haven’t been in a shop for nearly a year, not seen my D and GC since January and life has taken on a whole new pattern.

I wish you all a contented day and a lovely evening.

Scentia Thu 24-Dec-20 07:36:11

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is still dark and feels cold.
Was awoken at 6.30 by the recycling truck, (oh dear my bin wasn’t out!) I got up and put it out and luckily as I am at the end of the estate they got it on the way out!
Yesterday we had a very wet picnic with DS, DDiL and DGS. My I was impressed with DS spread though, we sheltered in a bird hide for lunch! How did my children grow up so quickly, it was like being out with ‘grown ups’!!!!
A few jobs to do today, a quick visit to the care home front door to say hi to DFiL. A visit to the local shop to get some bread bit other than that I am watching TV all day.
Take care everyone and stay safe❤️ Have the best Christmas you can muster and smile as much as you can.xx

ginny Thu 24-Dec-20 07:36:40

Good Morning. After the deluge yesterday it looks better outside. DD2 s garden was flooded but luckily she has a good step up to the house so no water got in.

Normally on Christmas Eve the house would be full of all the family. We’d all be buzzing around preparing for tomorrow and then eating out this evening.

Today will be much scaled down with just the two of us. We will collect a smaller Turkey and ham from the farm shop. Afterwards a quick driveway visit to DD3 and DD2 to drop off a few goodies. Will see younger DGS but I expect he will be excited today .
DH and I will have a takeaway this evening from the restaurant we would normally visit.

We’ll make the best of it all .