Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday (Christmas Eve)

(112 Posts)
12Michael Thu 24-Dec-20 06:15:31

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but and looking a cold day out there this morning , here in Brackley .
With restrictions facing me in the last week of 2020 , it will be an interesting ending to as well.
Anyway , as to the good morning , I have changed it slightly over next few days , by putting the actually day of the week first ,and then in brackets the respective day as you see.
I will have quiet day today ,and maybe get a Chinese takeaway curry later .
Take Care ,
Mick

NanKate Thu 24-Dec-20 07:38:15

Good morning Mick and All.

A cold, hopefully bright day here in South Bucks.

Love all the attached pictures especially the one of Mary and Joseph, thank you Ashcombe.

Our eldest DGS FaceTimed us yesterday to say he was sad we couldn’t be with him at Christmas but that he was over the moon to find his Christmas wish had been answered - 2 kittens for him and his bro. We were laughing and crying in equal measures.

Welcome Lucretzia you have come to the right thread for friendship.

Tomorrow I have invited a lone neighbour to come round for a glass or fizz or a hot drink. We will be sitting on the green in front of our house in 2 socially distanced chairs, in the freezing cold, wrapped up in our warmest clothes. We will certainly remember this Tier 4 Covid Christmas for a long time to come.

ginny Thu 24-Dec-20 07:39:17

Posted too soon.
Weather permitting we have a ‘neighbours on the drive’ mini event at 3 pm.

Hope you all find a ?today.

Lins1066 Thu 24-Dec-20 07:45:19

Good morning Mick and all. Cold and dry here on the S Welsh coast. Mr Lins has taken the puppy for a walk but he brought me a cup of tea first, he's well trained.
Welcome Lucretzia.
Our local butcher delivered a turkey crown and pigs in blankets yesterday, looking forward to that. An easy day today, only the veg to clean and a walk later.
Thinking of all those in pain and feeling low. Keep safe everyone.

Grammaretto Thu 24-Dec-20 07:45:23

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. It seems warm here I left the heating on overnight by mistake

I'm having a Christmas cake disaster. The almond paste hasn't hardened and the almonds didn't grind properly. Should I scrape it all off and leave it un-iced? I'm supposed to be taking it to DD's tomorrow.

On a happier note: DS, who came back to help care for his dying father (and me) has been reunited with his family in NZ after 14 days quarantine.
I feel for those lorry drivers in Kent too.
Hello Lucretzia and Kim
Love the decoration grandMattie
Glad you are almost recovered Urmston
I hope you are on the mend pantglas

Happy Christmas everyone wherever you are.

NanKate Thu 24-Dec-20 07:47:14

What a laugh you gave me Beauregard. I have to tell you our modest end of terrace house, with a fab view over the Thames Valley, is not up for sale. In the winter without leaves on the trees with my long distance glasses on, you can see the Thames floating by. As Kirsty and Phil would say ‘Location Location’. ??

Marydoll Thu 24-Dec-20 07:55:20

Good Morning Christmas Eve Mick and Goodmorningers, old and new from a very frosty Glasgow.
I'm just awaiting DS, who has gone to pick up my turkey for me from the butchers. This is the first time in forty three years, I have neither taken my late mother nor gone myself. Changed times indeed. sad

I'm like a half shut knife, having been up half the night, feeling a wee bit unwell. However, the bonus is, I'm now au fait with all the latest technology gifts, having watched an IT programme at 3am! I told you I was a geek!
One of the suggested gifts was a basic Make a home TV studio pack, so watch this space, I may be setting up my own GN channel in the near future! grin

I had a lovely day yesterday. DD came and as I was very tired, I roped her into doing housework not her forte and making the stuffing for the turkey. It was my grandmother's recipe and I wanted to pass it on.
I was trying not to laugh when she tried to ask subtly for my tablet recipe (just in case) and assurance that I ddin't give it to my future DIL because my she would most certainly make it better than DD. grin

My oldest friend appeared with a gift, then DD opened the door later and another gift was on the doorstep from an ex colleague. Just as the Tesco delivery arrived, (worry over), my sister in law arrived with a beautiful bouquet of flowers. A lovely day of surprises.

DD and DH dealt with the Tesco order, but the driver had just left when I discovered someone's turkey breast in our order. This would mean that some poor customer would be deprived of their Christmas dinner. ?
I immediately phoned customer services to alert them and said that I knew that normally they won't take back fresh food that has been mistakenly deliveried, but this was someone's Christmas dinner.
I ended up having a three way conversation with the call centre agent on the landline and the driver on my mobile. After explaining I had been shielding, so no chance of having Covid and that the turkey had been put immediately in the fridge, the driver gratefully came back for it.
It wasn't until later, I discovered the biscuits for the Malteser cheesecake base were missing! Disaster!!! ? C'est la vie!

We havee always gone to Midnight Mass, which I'm very much involved in, so we will watch an online service at 6pm. My nephew in London has requested a video call at 4pm. I have tried to pre-empt his predicted request to ask his mum for Christmas dinner. I will sadly explain why she can't be in our home. I'm not looking forward to it at all.
Wishing you all have a pleasant, stressless day. My apologies for yet another lengthy novella! wink grin.

harrigran Thu 24-Dec-20 07:57:49

Good morning from the NE where it is snowing and we have a good covering. I can't remember the last time it snowed at Christmas.
I did some cooking and then finished my novel while DH lay down for the afternoon.
No shopping today, we bought bread, milk and fresh vegatables yesterday, next delivery 30 th December.
Wishing you all a peaceful day.

Taichinan Thu 24-Dec-20 07:59:29

Happy Christmas Eve Mick and all. There's a glimmer of light in the sky over the Angus coast and it looks as if it might be going to be fair. But it is definitely Brrrrrr!
Thank you for the pictures Ash, Grandmattie and Kitty, and so glad you're feeling better Urms. It's like a cloud being lifted, isn't it.
And welcome to Lucretia. Lovely to have you with us.
I have a really busy day ahead and now, after a very disturbed night's sleep, I shall have to try to fit in a nap in the afternoon - I don't want to fall asleep as soon as DS1 arrives this evening! After the necessary enforced clamp down, it's been an uphill struggle to try to create a Christmas-at-home in three days. I did manage to keep my hair appointment though. Priorities!
Enjoy a peaceful, cosy and happy Christmas Eve everyone. Just one more sleep! ??????

Maggiemaybe Thu 24-Dec-20 08:03:42

Good morning to you lovely people. I'm not a poster on this thread but thought I'd make Christmas Eve the day I do! Same here, Lucretzia. tchsmile

Good morning and happy Christmas Eve to all of you.

I was expecting a quiet one, what with no hosting to do tomorrow and all. But it turns out I have a telephone physio appointment in 30 minutes, two family walks, a treasure hunt still to prepare and to zoom to the DGS at teatime, then I’m the quizmaster for our family quiz tonight. In and amongst I’ve cranberry sauce, bread sauce, trifle and some little Christmas parcel cakes to make or finish off for tomorrow. I think I’d better get up now. tchsmile

Best wishes to you all, whatever your plans for the day.

Dwmxwg Thu 24-Dec-20 08:06:54

Good morning Mick and all GMs. Welcome newbies to this lovely thread.
Had a busy day yesterday which ended with A Muppet Christmas Carol watch with DD and DGSs
Today will have a quick visit to mum and dad for more present exchange and to wish them a socially distant happy Christmas. A long walk is planned to wear out dog, and DGSs. Some housework and another present exchange with xH and xMIL (who usually come to us for Christmas dinner)
DH has the butcher order collection and dig some veg from allotment jobs.
We shall be glad to sit down for our Zoom family Christmas quiz this evening.
Hope everyone enjoys Christmas Eve and can make the best of what it is.

Grandmabatty Thu 24-Dec-20 08:08:45

Good morning All from a frosty Polmont. Lots of busy people this morning and lovely seasonal photos. I'm off out shortly to buy cream etc and sourdough bread. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

Alygran Thu 24-Dec-20 08:09:53

Good morning from the High Peak. I have relocated to DD2’s for a few days.
Drove through rain and spray yesterday. The roads were very busy heading north but not too bad in my direction.
It’s a very clear start to the day with frost tonight. We are going to DD1’s road this evening for carols then jingle bells at 6.30.
Until then I will be pottering as DD2 is working upstairs.
Hope everyone has a peaceful day. Stay safe

NannyJan53 Thu 24-Dec-20 08:18:04

Good Morning from a Black Country with a clear bright blue sky.

It poured down yesterday as I was walking back from town, so I was soaked to the skin.

MrJan made the Christmas ham, and I made 18 mincepies. Today I will make the stuffing for the Turkey and whizz round the house with vacuum cleaner and a duster! Just having Mum over for dinner tomorrow as we usually do. Then we usually go to DD's with my brother and his wife, sadly this won't be happening this year.

Welcome to our two newbies flowers

Seems like Boris is about to make an announcement on what a clever chap. So await with interest.

Wishing you all a good and safe day

Taichinan Thu 24-Dec-20 08:18:13

Annsixty ?

Pittcity Thu 24-Dec-20 08:19:44

Good morning from a bright and breezy Colchester. Chilly compared to yesterday.
Christmas preparations today consist of laundry and setting the robot Hoover going.
Our festive meal is all easy cook and we'll probably be having a Chinese takeaway away tonight like Mick

Daddima Thu 24-Dec-20 08:20:28

Good morning all from the foot of the frosty fells. I have nothing to do, and all day to do it. Daughter-in-law collected the turkey crown, and delivered a lovely fish supper. My only slight concern is what I’m going to wear tomorrow, as my face has been getting stuffed regularly for the last month or so. Monday begins the healthy eating. Mick remember the orders, and look after yourself. I poached some chicken yesterday for my visiting granddugs, so there are three thighs in the fridge which will be going into Mayflower Chinese Curry Sauce . Just like takeaway.
Well, enjoy a peaceful day,all.

Pittcity Thu 24-Dec-20 08:20:45

As it's Thursday we'll be joining our family online to do Jay's quiz as usual.

Marydoll Thu 24-Dec-20 08:25:33

Daddima, I had a delivery of Mayflower yesterday. It is indeed just like a takeaway!

Stilllearning Thu 24-Dec-20 08:26:36

Morning from S Lanarkshire on this strange Christmas Eve. It is my darling son’s birthday. He died when he was four so it’s a day when being swamped with busyness was a Godsend but this year a new challenge.
I’ll be fine when I get going, so off to shower and remember how much I have to be grateful for, which is a lot.
Kindest wishes to everyone today.

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Dec-20 08:27:44

Good morning all from a chilly S Hants, what a windy night! I woke up three times. Welcome Lucretia and fingers crossed Urmstongran that’s the back of it. No need to go out today, Tesco delivered all bar mince pies yesterday, DH nipped down the village and got some. Unfortunately ordering the parsnips online by weight means 12 large were delivered! Oops, after ringing round I’ve sorted out passing some on to friends, an unusual Christmas Eve gift. Normally today, about 3pm I’d shout ‘incoming’ to DH as the children and DG’s turn up to take residence, not this year. We will see them for a couple of hours tomorrow, DH has prepared the chiminea ready, he’ll probably have a practice today. Veg prep later and a half duck with pancakes for dinner, I will ask Alexa for carols too, reminds me of my childhood.
Have a peaceful day all, stay safe ?

Marydoll Thu 24-Dec-20 08:29:57

Stillearning, a sad and difficult day for you. ?

cornergran Thu 24-Dec-20 08:30:42

Morning Mick, morning All from a clear, cold corner of Somerset. Meeting two grandchildren and their Dad for a walk at lunch time, decided yesterday with increased local infection caution tomorrow would be the sensible route so it’s Christmas for two. We’re determined to keep cheerful. Turkey and beef de-frosting, veg in the fridge to be prepared listening to Carols from Kings. Video calls planned for tomorrow.

Our Christmas jigsaw is still on the go, there is a table under there somewhere complete with my favourite cloth I am determined to see it again today. tchgrin,

Pleased you’re feeling better urms, take it easy when you can marydoll. Pleased to see you kim and lucretzia. Have a peaceful day everyone, stay safe. Special thoughts for all with sadness or worries of any kind.

Beauregard Thu 24-Dec-20 08:31:20

Stilllearning flowers

cornergran Thu 24-Dec-20 08:34:30

A hug and some flowers stillearning. A difficult day for you.

mancgirl Thu 24-Dec-20 08:34:43

Good Christmas eve morning from a dry Manchester. Hello to the newbies ?. Prepping veg later today, ready for tomorrow. Family coming for lunch so the day will seem fairly normal in that respect, plus we are a bubble for child care reasons. Lots of presents, especially for our gs's aged nearly 5, nearly 3 and 6 months. We're lucky that we are a family of 3 and its their turn to be here this year. No crib service this afternoon, which has been a family tradition for more than 35 years! Hope everyone has the best Christmas possible. flowers for the those with worries, wobbles and sickness. Looking forward to hearing from Gilly?