Gransnet forums

Chat

"You know you're turning into your mother when" -

(85 Posts)
ixion Tue 29-Dec-20 17:49:25

Sensible shoes are the preferred option!

Blossoming Tue 29-Dec-20 17:52:38

Every morning when I look in the mirror and see my mother looking back at me!

(I don’t really mind, she was the best mother ever).

Jane10 Tue 29-Dec-20 17:56:41

I'd know I was turning into my mother if I ever fancied a fag. Luckily, that's never happened.
However, every time I look in a mirror I see my Dad.

Witzend Tue 29-Dec-20 17:57:45

...you catch a fleeting glimpse of her as you pass a mirror in some shop - even though she’s been dead for 5 years!
Enough to give anyone a funny turn.

Liz46 Tue 29-Dec-20 17:57:47

My mother used to dilute Zoflora and put it into a spray bottle. Guess who now has spray bottle handy?

ixion Tue 29-Dec-20 17:59:10

You find yourself saying to DS (36) 'if you're that cold, put a vest on'!

MawBe Tue 29-Dec-20 18:00:23

You find yourself saying to your 40-something year old D, “I’m feeling cold today hadn’t you better put a cardi on” ! ???

GagaJo Tue 29-Dec-20 18:16:20

I sound like my bloody mother. I come out with the bloody irritating things she says. 'Why on earth are you watching that crap?'. 'It's like Blackpool Illuminations in here.'

annodomini Tue 29-Dec-20 18:25:19

If I started saying 'I'm worried about....' it would be a warning sign that my DM was surfacing, though it's nearly 38 years since she died.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Dec-20 18:32:34

Whenever I say ‘does it matter?’.

It was her mantra and often made me realise ‘no, not really I suppose’ and immediately felt a lot better.
I do miss her wise words and comforting presence.

There, I’ve welled up now.

glammanana Tue 29-Dec-20 18:35:21

I would know I had turned into my mum if I said "close that door you weren't born in a barn" or "turn the light off we are not plugged into the national grid".

Pantglas2 Tue 29-Dec-20 18:36:22

When I first uttered the words “Life’s not fair, get used to it!’ to a whining daughter.....

Jaxjacky Tue 29-Dec-20 18:40:54

When I referred to a stray hair on my chin as a whisker...(only to myself of course!)

kittylester Tue 29-Dec-20 18:49:57

When I look in the mirror - when I was younger I looked like my very glamorous aunt.

And, when people say ' dont you look like your mum.....though she was prettier!'

Though my brothers say it to torment me now!!

Lucca Tue 29-Dec-20 19:16:10

I am totally determined not to sound like my mother but sometimes I do. I’m sorry to say this but she was not a very nice lady. There I’ve said it.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 19:20:03

"Are you wearing a vest"?

And you keep coming out with sayings like "Every cloud has a silver lining", "A fool and his money are soon parted", "Save the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves", "One man's meat is another man's poison" etc etc etc

vampirequeen Tue 29-Dec-20 19:23:36

I was determined not to sound like my mam then one day I heard myself say the immortal old lady phrases, "She'll catch her death going out in those skimpy clothes", "What she needs is a nice coat over that dress" and worst of all "I just don't understand young people these days" sad sad sad

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 19:24:00

grin

Jane10 Tue 29-Dec-20 19:25:04

Vests were very important to Mums and now Grans understand their importance too!

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 29-Dec-20 19:36:11

I open my mouth and my Mother comes out.

Probably a famous saying.

Lolo81 Tue 29-Dec-20 19:53:11

“I don’t care who started it, I’m finishing it”
Used to drive my bickering brother and I insane - I did a double take when I heard my mums words escape my mouth to my own two children!!

grannypiper Tue 29-Dec-20 20:31:13

I often open my mouth and my Mother comes out, problem is my Daughter says the exactly the same thing !

sodapop Tue 29-Dec-20 21:02:37

Same here grannypiper . Fortunately my granddaughter is not interested in children otherwise it would be four generations.

Casdon Tue 29-Dec-20 21:15:06

My mum is 92, she’s a staunch feminist and has always been very outspoken. One thing she says is ‘he’s more mouth than trousers’ - found myself saying that the other day without even understanding what it means!

GreyKnitter Tue 29-Dec-20 21:25:13

I’ve just been talking to my brother online and we were remembering my mum always saying how kind and helpful the shopping delivery folks were. We were saying just that the other day now that due to Covid we also have online shopping - the deliveries ladies and men are always so friendly and helpful!!!! We both smile whenever we say it!