Gransnet forums

Chat

Helpful husband

(41 Posts)
Tizliz Fri 01-Jan-21 11:20:50

I have had a bad back lately and complained to OH that vacuuming really made it worse. He was watching me vacuum this morning and stopped me saying he knew what the problem was - not that we had too many dogs etc but I was lifting the vacuum up with a bent back. I nearly used it on him! That was an engineers answer not a concerned husband. Does anyone else have a partner like this?

Artaylar Fri 01-Jan-21 20:00:33

If the housework was left to DH this place would be minging.

Around every six months he gets a bit of a blasting from me about not helping me at all with housework stuff.

His response to the last blasting of around 5 months ago
- bought me a new mop (I kid you not)
- fixed the dishwasher - which we had never used since moving here 5 years ago - admitedly this had been a help
- said he would start cleaning the inside of the windows. saying he would be better at it than I was. Now, one thing he is very good at is ordering stuff on line. He bought all this stuff (maybe about 5 years of window cleaning paraphenalia, and .......yes, you guessed it, its all still in the delivery boxes it arrived in.

Oh well.......

GrandmaKT Fri 01-Jan-21 20:36:20

Ha Ha Tizliz. Your post made me recall an incident many years ago with my own DH.
I was struggling with 2 children under 5. One evening I said to him in a meaningful and exhausted way over dinner - "Do you know Anne has a cleaner, and now Sue is looking for one?". Quick as a flash, his reply came back - "Why don't you apply?"!!

Tizliz Fri 01-Jan-21 20:54:29

???

Hithere Fri 01-Jan-21 21:18:56

Why not stopping vacuuming and other chores that hurt your back, hoping you get better soon?

NotTooOld Fri 01-Jan-21 21:59:23

GrandmaKT - grin you made me laugh!

sodapop Fri 01-Jan-21 22:13:42

Made me laugh too GrandmaKT grin

GrandmaKT Fri 01-Jan-21 22:59:44

Yeah, I can laugh about it too - now! shock

SpringyChicken Fri 01-Jan-21 23:40:23

Fortunately, my mother's advice when I married was 'don't be too capable'. Just after we married, my husband said cleaning the toilet was my job. I stung him with the Marigolds and said don't ever think I'm not your equal. If he still thinks cleaning the toilet is beneath him, he's wise enough not to say it.

My friend's husband thought he shouldn't have to clean the bath after he'd used it. She said that was fine by her, she'd clean it just before taking her own bath and then leave it dirty for him.

Readerjb Sat 02-Jan-21 06:19:43

Stung him with the Marigolds????

SpringyChicken Sun 10-Jan-21 13:10:37

Yes, flicked him on the arm with a rubber glove! He could see I was really mad! I've calmed down now, it was in the 70s!

Tizliz Sun 10-Jan-21 18:27:29

Back has been bad again this weekend - only stretched for something on the top shelf. But he helped with changing the bedding and cooked lunch and dinner! Think he is getting the message

BlueSky Sun 10-Jan-21 18:41:35

LucyLocket you Made me laugh! Yes my DH is king of various household jobs, every time he comments or re-does what I’ve just done, it becomes his task! gringrin

ixion Sun 10-Jan-21 19:14:18

My DH once offered to put the weekly shop away for me.
Pack of facial cleansing wipes turned up in the chiller box of the fridge.
"Oh, I thought it was Mozzarella".

grannyactivist Sun 10-Jan-21 19:36:41

No complaints from me. My husband (aka The Wonderful Man) occasionally has to do more than his fair share of household chores and he does so willingly. I'm often unwell so he's used to just getting on with doing the shopping, cooking, laundry etc. He doesn't 'see' some jobs that need doing (sinks clean themselves obviously), but I'd be slightly put out if he could do without my input entirely. grin

Sara1954 Sun 10-Jan-21 21:05:00

My husband will cook a nice meal on the weekends, and does occasionally whip around with the vacuum, but he needs so much praise, I can’t remember the last time anyone complimented me on my cooking.
Also, when he vacuums, he says things like, well I don’t know when you last moved that sofa, or that hearth rug needed a good shake out!
How did I get so lucky, he’s just so perfect!!!