Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(83 Posts)
12Michael Sun 03-Jan-21 06:13:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and wet start here in Brackley this morning , another quiet day , but may do a small hop this morning .
Will try and sort some of my filing out as to last years paperwork ,and fresh file for this years documents of importance received in the post .
Take Care,
Mick

Grammaretto Sun 03-Jan-21 08:44:58

Good Morning from the Scottish Borders where it is minus 1 (but feels like minus 4) I put on my over trousers yesterday to go out but kept them on in the house!
Local social media said a woman had fallen and broken her pelvis on the icy pavement yesterday, and they blame the council for not gritting. I think we should take responsibility for going out anywhere, and take the vitamin D tablets.
I love the snowdrops Nannytopsy I wonder when ours will peep through the snow.
Take care everyone!

Jaxjacky Sun 03-Jan-21 08:52:22

Good morning Mick and all from a grey, damp S Hants. Tree and decorations came down yesterday, the tree will go out later in the week for recycling, I’m missing the pretty lights. I have no paperwork to file, unlike others, I’m annoyingly efficient on that front. Nothing planned today, out for a walk later, DH due back to work tomorrow and DD back to work at school.
Have a quiet day all.

Anniebach Sun 03-Jan-21 08:53:59

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Kalu Sun 03-Jan-21 08:54:41

It is a treasure Marydoll. Didn’t realise it was -6. That explains why I couldn’t open the bathroom window after my shower! Not being able to step out to the garden or go for a walk doesn’t help the cooped up feeling. A sunny morning to look forward to and then I notice the windows need washed. ?

Nortsat, we watched that film quite some time ago and enjoyed it too.

PollyDolly Sun 03-Jan-21 08:56:17

Good morning from a very grey Nottinghamshire! We had snow too yesterday but it didn't hang around very long due to a raise in temperature and some overnight rain.

I have nothing planned for today but no doubt I will find something to do once I start sorting out my sewing supplies, yesterday's project was a fabric roll to store my countless knitting needles in.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe!

Gingster Sun 03-Jan-21 09:01:57

Good morning from a nothing sort of day in Essex. No rain, snow or frost, no sun, wind or ice. Everything is just hanging there, waiting for .... something to happen!

Decs all down and put away by no.1 son. He’s like a whirlwind. Outside lights down before we knew he was even there. Into the house and loft open with us handing things up to him. All done and dusted within 20 mins. A quick cup of coffee and hed gone! He’d already done his own family shopping and his in-laws groceries. All before 10 am. Complete opposite to his dad, who takes his time with everything - no urgency there ?

Made a tasty turkey and mushroom lasagne last night and we will have the rest today. I can’t face another Roast just yet. We’ll have it will a salad and garlic bread.

Just started to rain so little pooch will have to wait a while for her walk.

Wishing you all a relaxed, peaceful, worryfree sabbath. ?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:04:41

Good morning Mick and all

Our youngest GS is one today, I cannot believe that this time last year I was running around getting my delivery room bag ready. It was such a privilege to be there at the start of his life, nobody could have predicted how his first year would be!!!

No big Birthday Party, just them coming to us for a Chinese takeaway and Birthday Cake (our bubble) He loves his food and eats anything.

Will bake banana bread this morning, nothing else to be done really washing machine man is not coming till Tuesday, so the basket is overflowing, decorations stay up until Twelfth Night.

Keep safe, well and warm folks ?‍♀️

NannyJan53 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:07:02

Good morning from a rainy Black Country, where it snowed quite heavily last night, but seems to be thawing now.

It is Mum's 91st birthday today, normally the family would get together for lunch with her, but sadly not today. She is quite sanguine about it, and says we will celebrate later in the year. I and MrJan are popping over with her present, and I have made a lasagne for lunch.

Wishing you all a good and safe day

Susan56 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:07:32

Good morning from the Shropshire/Powys border.Cold and damp start to the day.

We are going to take the decorations down today too.

Hope you had a restful night Cherry.x

Have a good day all.

Urmstongran Sun 03-Jan-21 09:11:43

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s dry and I can actually see the faint ridge of the Pennines in the west where the sunrise is showing swathes of mid blue sky and the wispy clouds are bathed in gold. However there’s a band of dark grey cloud to the south which looks heavy!

No plans for us apart from going us over to see my stepfather this afternoon for an hour or two. I will have a wee dram with him as we will be his ‘first footers’ but after today I’m doing dry January.

We get our car back on Friday evening! The Yorkshire lass and her partner will drive over - one in our car to return and t’other in their ‘new’ car (4y old). They rang yesterday and are very excited to be picking it up from the dealership next week. It will be nice to have ours back - although I suppose we can’t say we’ve really missed it as there’s nowhere to go and the shops are just downstairs in the square for us.

Younger daughter not sure whether the school she works at in Trafford nor the one the children attend will be open or not tomorrow and Tuesday. What a performance with this awful virus.

Hope Sunday is kind to us all. Lovely photo of the snowdrops Nannytopsy. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

aggie Sun 03-Jan-21 09:13:57

Good Morning all, bright and very frosty here
I put out crumbs for the Robin and he has made short work of them this morning
I can’t put up bird feeders , I love looking at them but they attract four footed wee things !

Gagagran Sun 03-Jan-21 09:16:42

Morning all! Bit late to the thread this morning after a lie in until 7am which is most unusual for me. Less cold here on the south coast, 2.4c, with complete cloud cover so very grey.

Before looking at GN I decided to tackle the laundry which seemed to have grown overnight. I cannot understand how 2 people can make so much washing! I asked DH if he's been bringing it in from the neighbours but on sorting it into loads I find that it is mainly towels and cycling gear. I should do a load every day really to save feeling overwhelmed. Sorry I can't offer to do yours for you GrannyGravy!

Another day of nothing on the agenda so far. I am finding it hard to remember what day it is as they all merge into the same pattern.

Lamb chops for lunch with new potatoes and carrots and peas.

Keep safe and warm everyone. sunshine

Pittcity Sun 03-Jan-21 09:19:38

Good morning from a bright but cold Colchester. Zero again and sleet/snow in the forecast for later.
Decorations are down and we are back to pre-move decluttering.
No plans except for roast lamb and a nice glass of red this evening.
Makes a difference to be able to splash out rather than budget in January. This is due to not going out during the Christmas period and the most of the rest of 2020!!

Georgesgran Sun 03-Jan-21 09:20:36

Good morning from Durham. It snowed yesterday but didn’t lie - today is wall to wall rain. Friend wants something bulky from Lidl and doesn’t think it will go in her car - she’ll call me and I’ll pick it up for her and drop it off at her door. That’s about the excitement for today other than a bit of admin later.
Stay safe. X

Grandmabatty Sun 03-Jan-21 09:24:15

Good morning All. Still icy and below zero in Polmont but we've been spared further snow. Its intermittent clouds at the moment. I will have a little walk outside I think. I have a fitbit clamped to my left wrist and I am determined to walk more this year. It's interesting to see how little deep sleep I get too. Yesterday I drove ds home to Stirling and then took all the decorations and the tree down and generally cleaned and tidied. I had leftover steak pie for dinner. There's a bit left but I'm not keen on having it reheated twice so I'll throw it out. I hate wasting food but I don't want any nasty stomach problems. So I shall roast a chicken instead. Today will be a quiet one. I have no plans and nowhere to go do I shall enjoy it. I might do some drawing and a bit of cross stitch.

Grandmabatty Sun 03-Jan-21 09:27:14

Aggie I have the same problem! I had bird feeders but they attracted mice into the kitchen last year so they had to go. I posted the earlier one too quickly. I hope everyone has a good day.

aggie Sun 03-Jan-21 09:39:46

Granmabatty if the wee critters would stay outside ! But I am not keen on mice in the house !

GrannyOwl5 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:43:17

Good morning everyone from a rather dark and chilly north Kent although I can see a patch of blue sky occasionally - nice to know it’s still there!

Took the tree and decs down yesterday; taking the outside ones down this morning and then the heave-ho to get the boxes back into the attic. Then a whisk through the rooms with duster and hoover which should take up the rest of the day.

Primary schools are going back tomorrow although the high school is closed for another two weeks. Some rather anxious phone calls between DD and her fellow mums - worries and anxieties not helped by irresponsible rumours and false news doing the rounds. I think the consensus was that the children should return, but a daily re-assessment to be taken on the local situation. Worrying times for everyone, but all we can do is be as supportive and reassuring as possible over the phone whilst keeping our own concerns about them in check when all you really want to do is tell all of them to stay safely at home for however long it takes.

Hope you all have as good a day as you can and that those with illnesses or worries have a better day. Stay safe and that means you Grandmafrench no going to illegal raves down there in Brittany! ??

CherryCezzy Sun 03-Jan-21 09:46:29

Good morning everyone. There's a blue sky in the Gower and it's 1°c. There hasn't been any snow here at all yet, not sure if there will be a single drop.
Talking of snow drops, lovely photo of the snowdrops Nannytopsy. We have one solitary snowdrop that comes up every year. We're reluctant to plant any more bulbs because it feels a betrayal of her effort every year ?

We too are taking our decorations down today. We normally keep them up until twelfth night but not this year, we decided last night we'd had enough of them. Beef casserole for dinner tonight.

Happy birthday to your 1 year old grandson GrannyGravy and your DM NannyJan, big celebrations can wait.

I did have a restful night, thank you Susan ☺️

Keep cosy, warm and safe today everyone ❤️

Urmstongran Sun 03-Jan-21 09:48:36

Happy 1st birthday babyGravy! ??

GrannySomerset Sun 03-Jan-21 09:58:21

I wonder if the reason so many of us have taken down the Christmas decorations early is because we want to hasten the arrival of spring? Just a thought, because there are so many mentions of it on this site.

Grey and dismal here today but dry at the moment. No plans apart from the inevitable laundry and roast lamb this evening.

harrigran Sun 03-Jan-21 10:04:46

Good morning from a very wet NE, torrential rain all night.
Friend rang yesterday and we had a long chat, her DD is a teacher so visits in the garden. They live within easy walking distance. Sadly my family don't live close enough to visit like this.
We have no decorations to take down, will just gather up cards and make a list to remind me for next card writing. There were a few surprises this year, four people sent us two cards.
Gammon to roast today, we have had very little meat this last couple of weeks.
Stay warm and dry today.

BlueSapphire Sun 03-Jan-21 10:11:07

Hello and good morning to everyone from a bright Northampton. I had a lie in until 9.15, so am still drinking tea.

Did a lot of not very much yesterday, read the papers, had a go at the crossword and watched rugby on tv.

Will be much the same today; will saute some bacon and left over new potatoes for brunch, and then settle down with the Sunday paper. Again, I feel as though I should get out for a walk, but it feels like a chore to walk alone. I hate it. Will be roasting a small chicken breast joint for dinner with roast potatoes and peas, maybe even a small Yorkshire pudding. I too have a pile of papers to file away, and also stuff to remove from the filing cabinet and shred, but will do that in the week.

Decorations and tree come down tomorrow.

Have a peaceful Sunday everyone.

farview Sun 03-Jan-21 10:14:30

Morning everyone...another one who has taken down the Christmas tree and all the decorations...have always left them until twelfth night in the past...but it's not been a normal Christmas has it..so I just wanted them gone!!!
Lots of snow still on the ground here in Bolton...did a canal walk in Adlington yesterday with my friend, canal was frozen and the towpath was horrendously icy and slippery...
...let's look forward to Spring now and of course the vaccines..
Take care and smile at something today..?

Gelisajams Sun 03-Jan-21 10:18:12

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where the frost and snow have started to melt. Will attend zoom church shortly, then it’s a phone call to Apple to help sort out our new Apple TV. If I log in I get DH’s ‘ stuff’ and not my iPad connection! I used to be on the ball with technology, but it’s left me behind now. Take care everyone and stay safe ?