Gransnet forums

Chat

Birthdays

(108 Posts)
B9exchange Sun 03-Jan-21 14:06:16

Humour him. He enjoys birthdays and wants to give you something from him. You must be able to come up with a short list of things you will use during the year? Everyone needs a nice smelling shower gel, how about flowers, a shrub for the garden, a trip out for afternoon tea post vaccinations?

Georgesgran Sun 03-Jan-21 13:50:33

Not a birthday person here either. Was mortified when DDs organized a surprise lunch with my girlfriends when I was 60! Got through it, but never again. My friend is obsessed with her birthday - went on a Nile cruise with her when she was 50 and Madeira for 60. DH’s S and BiL always went to Spain for their respective birthdays. She’s on her own now but still has to ‘push the boat out’. Luckily my DH is the same as me - so no hurt feelings here.

Daddima Sun 03-Jan-21 13:43:02

I’d say something like, “ You know, at our age, it’s getting more difficult to think of things, so why don’t we just settle for a nice card, and we can buy whatever we want for ourselves”.

Calendargirl Sun 03-Jan-21 13:33:51

Cannot understand grown adults getting so worked up about a birthday.

We are not 6 years old for goodness sake.

When I was still at work, couldn’t understand why others wanted their birthday as holiday, I was glad if no one knew it was my birthday and it passed off as a normal day.

Galaxy Sun 03-Jan-21 13:32:15

I think that sounds quite unpleasant flowers

Jaxjacky Sun 03-Jan-21 13:29:52

I wouldn’t get him anything. He makes nil effort for anyone else, has done in the past and will continue do do so if you pander to him.

Chewbacca Sun 03-Jan-21 13:20:46

Gift voucher for Amazon. Let him choose his own.

Razzy Sun 03-Jan-21 13:11:31

My DH and I both have birthdays in Jan. I’ve never been bothered by presents, just happy to have enough already. My DH is the opposite and a bit like a 5 year old at birthdays. He has never done anything for my birthday, quite the opposite. He gave me a book for Xmas that I didn’t want, and don’t have time to read. I thanked him of course, even though I asked for no present or a charity donation. I get that he wants to give a present. But he almost always buys what he wants. The book he got me is one he wants to read. He knows I’ve still got books from last year I’ve not read. He got our daughter something he wanted for Xmas. I’ve asked him yet again what he wants for his birthday, and he says he’ll let me know. This means he’ll tell me the day before and complain when I can’t get it in time. He then asked what I want and I told him again. He then threw all his toys out of the pram. I think it is partly because he wants to tell everyone else what he bought me - that’s fine, buy me whatever! A charity donation in my name would be lovely but he refuses.
Anyone else resolve an issue like this?