Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(82 Posts)
12Michael Mon 04-Jan-21 06:10:50

Good Morning Everyone,
Its still dark here in Brackley this morning, a usual day for me under the current circumstances.
Maybe a walk , but will stay safe in my flat and avoid any contact with others .
Take Care,
Mick

Grammaretto Mon 04-Jan-21 08:33:24

I lost the first part of my morning weather report! Just to say it is still crunchy ice underfoot here in the Scottish Borders but possibly a degree or so warmer.

NannyJan53 Mon 04-Jan-21 08:34:49

Good morning from a dull and cold Black Country. At least all the snow has gone now.

MrJan has to take his car to Nissan garage this morning, for a warranty job. Means I have to go out too to bring him home! Apart from that no real plans today.

Spent a few hours with Mum yesterday for her birthday. I made a lasagne for us to have lunch together. She had a morning full of phone calls and felt quite spoilt.

I have noticed it is not so dark now at 4pm NanKate, Spring is on the horizon! Good news for your friends.

Sorry to hear about your DH Gaga and I hope he recovers quickly. Good luck with your appointment today Ashcombe

Wishing you all a pleasant day

Nortsat Mon 04-Jan-21 08:37:03

Good morning Mick and the GM team from grey, cold east London ... though we are without snow.

Early trip to the bottle bank this morning, with a considerable number of bottles, for a household that had a quiet Christmas.
Grocery delivery today. It will be nice to get some fresh fruit. After our delivery last week, all the satsumas went mouldy within 2 days.

Back to normal eating this week ...

The Covid rates in London boroughs are x three times the national average, so although we are carefully shielding, I will need to be ultra careful on my walks.

Hope your DH is more comfortable today gaga. So sorry to hear about all the losses you and your DH have experienced dwm. Hope cherry had a peaceful night and Maryd had a restful one.

Happy New Year gillybob, if you’re reading.
Have a good day, all.

Greyduster Mon 04-Jan-21 08:37:48

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a cold grey South Yorkshire. Not sure if we are expecting snow today - all the forecasts say different things! We consigned Christmas to the loft yesterday and cleaned and tidied everything apart from the conservatory so that will be my job today, along with some ironing. Need to shop too, as cupboards are all bare except for rather a lot of biscuits! ‘Man cannot live by biscuits alone’ - though mine would if I let him! Have a good safe day folks.

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Jan-21 08:38:24

Good morning. Mick and all, it’s chilly but not frosty in S Hants. Gagagagran ?the antibiotics kick in quickly, grandMattie your sewing is proving almost too successful!
Very pleased to see the Oxford vaccination starting and more so that drive through will be possible.
I need a trip to the farm shop for veg, I normally go early in the morning, up a bit too late, if I go early there’s usually just me. Washing to do and strip the bed, I’ll be out for a walk later.
Have a peaceful day all.

Grandmabatty Mon 04-Jan-21 08:39:19

Good morning All. I have a skating rink outside my house! Black ice is covering the street. It's cold and cloudy too. Brr! Not a day for going out so I shall stay put. Nothing planned so I will potter about. I will make a pot of chicken soup and a curry. That'll do me for a couple of days. I have a little ironing to do as well. Stay safe all

Gelisajams Mon 04-Jan-21 08:42:09

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where the view of the iced cars and the fact that the snowfall from a couple of days ago is still on the ground, suggests it’s cold out there! DH is out running despite what must be a slippery surface. He said he’s not doing his usual route when I suggested slipping and ending up in A & E wasn’t a good idea at the moment.
I do feel for you Gagagran. DH had serious catheter problems after his surgery a couple of years ago. It seems so much worse at night.
Exercise shortly. It’s weights day today. Groan!
Then the Christmas stuff is coming down and being returned to my shed where it lives most of the year. The tree will be be collected by hospice volunteers next week. It amazes me what people think of doing to raise much needed funds.
Take care everyone and stay safe ?

Grandmafrench Mon 04-Jan-21 08:42:48

Good Morning everyone on a gloriously sunny and blue South of France Monday. Chilly though. “Well, it is January” doesn’t seem an excuse to my neighbours as they muffle up in hats and scarves (and masks). Egyptian Mummies 2021 style !

Sorry to hear about your night time emergency, Gaga. Hope the antibiotics start his recovery very soon. Sad about your family’s loss Dwmxwg. Think you’re wise to make the sacrifices - more sacrifices - but your health and that of your DH is too precious to risk.
Ladyleftfieldlover anything involving celebration cake sounds like a good idea to me.
I’ve had my 2nd cup of tea, am reading your posts while listening to John Meyer singing Something like Olivia ...this will hopefully encourage me to have a little ‘bop’ towards the shower - and a good mood/productive day. Some ironing to catch up with, dogs to bathe, a wood burner glass screen to thoroughly clean and, no, I’m not going to put away the tree and decs today; but apart from that, nothing planned until I physically rise from my bed and GET STARTED!

DH has just passed me his ‘phone, on which there’s a photo of ice forming on our pool! ? Yikes! Now we should move our Orange and lemon pots into the garage.

So, here I go. Have yourselves a good day if you can. Please focus on something that isn’t a worry (even for a little while) and concentrate on taking good care of yourselves today, all.

Hugs from across-the-Channel-and-down-a-lot, and from where I send you every good wish.
?‍♀️??

PollyDolly Mon 04-Jan-21 08:45:57

Good morning from a chilly Nottinghamshire. Nothing much planned for today apart from changing the bed linen - that's a usual Monday job tbh.
If the weather permits we might take a walk, otherwise it will be a knitting/crafting,reading afternoon after the laundry is all done.
Birthday wishes to all those celebrating today!
Thinking of all those struggling in any way........stay positive!
Have the best day possible everyone and stay safe!

baubles Mon 04-Jan-21 08:50:39

Good morning Mick, morning all from still frozen S Lanarkshire, we had a little more snow last night.

Hope your DH feels better soon Gaga we’ve had similar issues here in recent months. It’s not surprising that you’re all sewn out grandMattie but I’m sure you’ll work wonders once again.

I appear to have misplaced the folder containing all the instruction manuals including the one for the boiler which stopped working through the night. DH googled and fiddled and got it going again but it’s annoying me that I’ve put the folder somewhere and can’t lay my hand on it. I guess that’s my task for today.

Have a peaceful day everyone.

grandMattie Mon 04-Jan-21 08:52:09

Regarding sewing - it only takes me 2 hours to make a pair of trousers. 4 pieces to join. No, my whinge is that I have it up to here with making stuff:- 5 pairs of trousers, one black crushed velvet skirt and 15 pairs of knickers altered in less than a month... ???

Alygran Mon 04-Jan-21 08:53:02

Good morning from North Yorkshire where we still have the remnants of Saturday’s snow so it must be cold again today.
I have a parcel to post this morning and some food shopping to do so a short trip to town is on the cards.
Reading and chatting with DGS on FaceTime later. He is year 7 and has a Teacher Training Day so on line learning doesn’t start till tomorrow
Condolences dwm to you and your DH.
Birthday wishes to the birthday girls.
Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.

Anniebach Mon 04-Jan-21 08:54:03

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Kalu Mon 04-Jan-21 09:05:18

Good morning all from a milder Glasgow and yes, I too noticed it was a tad lighter for longer yesterday.

At this time of year I have always looked forward to tulips and daffodils for sale at the end of the month. Whenever they arrive this year, I will venture out to our local shops and buy an extra few bunches to place around the house.

DH gave me a sewing machine for Christmas. It’s years since I used one so I may call on you for some tips Marydoll. ?

Have a pleasant day all.

amselerin Mon 04-Jan-21 09:12:46

Good morning all from a damp and overcast Lueneburg. I am going to take the bus into town with my dog and have a little wander about. All shops, apart from essential shops, are closed. I just feel like a change of scenery. Later I shall play bridge on the internet. We are only allowed to mix with one other household. Let`s hope that all is back to normal soon. My last visit to my children in England was February 2020.
All take care and have a nice day.

Susan56 Mon 04-Jan-21 09:16:47

Good morning from Shropshire.No frost today but very chilly?

A quiet day planned??before childcare starts again tomorrow.Three days a week apart from school holidays as DD1 goes back to work after maternity leave this week.

Condolences to you and your family Dwm?

Hope Cherry has had a restful,night.

Thinking of you all with worries about loved ones and those with hospital appointments.

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Jan-21 09:20:49

Good morning Mick and all Gns from chilly and damp South Glos.

My neighbour (aged 88) had his first Pfizer vaccine on Saturday. He reported that they were very organised, he didn't feel a thing and has felt fine since. His 2nd jab is booked for March. He said the clinic was working 12 hour days to vaccinate everybody, even over the weekend.

Must dash. Overslept. Will pop in later to see how everybody's getting on. Thoughts are with all who are sad or struggling or poorly.

aggie Mon 04-Jan-21 09:23:43

Good Morning all, still , bright , and frosty here
I put a dish of crumbs out for the Robin , he was tucking in till the Blackbird chased him , but then the Blackbird was too scared to get too near the dish , he jumped to and fro , but decided to forego the treat and I hope the Robin comes back before I take the dish in , still not wanting to attract mice

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jan-21 09:33:54

Good morning all from a cold West Yorkshire. From the bedroom window I can’t tell whether it’s icy or just wet, so don’t know yet whether we’ll venture out. We managed a four mile walk yesterday, but it’s a bit boring having to tramp round pavements instead of all the muddy/icy but much more attractive paths we take in better weather.

We’ve the excitement of an Aldi delivery today - I wanted to stock up on their “Jo Malone” bath and body stuff, and had to add wine to meet the minimum order value (such a shame grin). Apart from that, a spot of cleaning, reading, jigsawing. I’m determined not to take Christmas down till Wednesday, but the tree is looking very sad and droopy now, poor thing.

We might watch an episode or two of The Serpent on IPlayer. I don’t think I want to wait till Sunday for the next instalment.

Have the best day you can, everyone.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Jan-21 09:35:15

Good morning Mick and all

It’s busy here today.

Gingster I had that problem with my iPad in the summer, you have Gadget Geeks in your neck of the woods, give them a ring (very good and sooo much cheaper than Apple). Gagagran hope your DH’a problem is sorted today. dwmxg sending my condolences thanks. Sar53 happy 3rd birthday to your DGD ?
Apologies to anyone I have forgotten.

DH will get the boxes out of the loft ready to pack away decorations tomorrow evening. I will potter today before childcare tomorrow, schools are closed so homeschooling a 5yr old whilst minding the 1yr old.....yippee!!!!

Keep safe, well and warm folks ?‍♀️

Blossoming Mon 04-Jan-21 09:43:58

Good morning all. Another cold and frosty day here. I need to do some laundry but no real plans otherwise.

BlueSapphire Mon 04-Jan-21 10:02:12

Hello and good morning everyone from a dull and damp Northampton. I have slept in again this morning and so posting this with my mug of tea and biscuits and will go back and read everything later. I find I am getting increasingly loath to leave my bed (very unlike me!), I suppose my thinking is the longer I stay in bed the shorter the day is. I am finding it much harder these days being on my own.

A nice surprise yesterday; DD and her husband came over with the dogs and we went for a very muddy walk. It was lovely to have company, but every man and his dog seemed to be out doing the same and it was very busy and difficult to keep distance when passing on a narrow track. So I came home more worried than before, which sort of negated the benefit of the walk. Phoned a couple of friends when I got home to cheer myself up, and spent a pleasant hour chatting, and hearing about their Christmases. Must wash my jeans today as they got very muddy.

Will start taking the decorations down today; the cats have already been 'helping' this morning by kindly knocking cards down from a shelf. The tree and other stuff will go out in the garage, as it will save DD coming over to put them in the loft

Then will make a chicken casserole for dinner with the leftovers from my mini-roast yesterday. Should be enough for a sandwich at lunchtime too.

Just about to go to bed last night when we had a powercut - lasted about 40 minutes. It was weird to look out and see the entire area in blackness. Luckily I had got new torches recently, so not too bad. Phoned a neighbour to check it wasn't just me.

Well must stir myself and get a few things done. Hope the day goes well for all.

Nannytopsy Mon 04-Jan-21 10:02:36

Well, this morning’s school run successfully completed, despite a very grumpy 4 year old. The dogs had, quite literally, eaten her homework! I hope she is happier by the end of school.
The cold sleety rain has given way to much brighter skies in our bit of Suffolk.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 10:22:52

Good morning everyone from a dry but chilly South Manchester. I’ve had a cuppa, put a wash load on and dived back into bed for an hour! Why not? We have no plans today so an even lazier one for this #lazygran.
?

Himself has just asked if I’d like coffee with some toast and marmalade? This is why I married the man dear reader ...

I’m expecting a call today or tomorrow from the GP surgery with the results of last Wednesday’s blood tests. I’m a little bit anxious.

Hope your husband feels better soon on his antibiotics Gaga. I bet most of us can still recall that years ago in the wee small hours, a telephone call to our doctor would result in the reassuring arrival of a car and a home visit by a doctor carrying his little black bag. How tunes have changed.

A sensible decision made by you dwm as it seems needs must for a few weeks. A big push with the vaccine roll out this week with 700 extra venues opening this week alone.

I hope your daughter is delighted with her birthday present today Scentia after an 80 mile round trip! I’m very curious now as to what you’ve bought for her.

Just tonight and tomorrow left to switch on the Christmas tree lights on the trees. The one on the balcony still looks beautiful of course being outside. I’ve reassured Himself that Wednesday morning is forecast dry whilst he dismantles the big beast. I hope the forecast doesn’t change as my name will be mud!

Hope Monday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing especially with the rise in cases and a vaccine so near. x

Jaan12 Mon 04-Jan-21 10:24:36

Good morning from Fife. Most of the snow and ice seems to have gone and it does not feel so cold. Expecting an online grocery order to arrive today. Have been told two frozen items I ordered are not available also some pet food.