Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(80 Posts)
12Michael Sat 09-Jan-21 06:12:14

Good Morning Everyone ,
Its dark , but looks dry and cold here in Brackley this morning , yesterday did see a slight snow covering which went a few hours later .
I only hope with the days opening up , that temperatures will lift ,and make it more enjoyable.
Today , hopefully later will get a Chinese Take Away.
Take Care ,
Mick

brook2704 Sat 09-Jan-21 08:20:50

Happy Birthday LauraNorder Hope you get your breakfast in bed! ????

Oldbutstilluseful Sat 09-Jan-21 08:21:33

Happy birthday LauraNorder. ??

Gagagran Sat 09-Jan-21 08:23:34

Many Happy Returns Laura - hope you have an enjoyable day. 29 again? winkflowers

Grandmabatty Sat 09-Jan-21 08:29:31

Good morning all. Brass monkey weather in Polmont. -8 degrees last night and it's risen to -3 at the moment so hopefully it'll get above freezing. I have to scrape the car for a trip to Aldi later. I think today will be a soup making one. Leek and potato. Apart from that, general housework to be done. Lauranorder happy birthday to you. Grandmattie such good news about Iris. I suppose I should get up now. I was awake a lot in the night and can't be bothered but needs must. Have a good day all.

Sar53 Sat 09-Jan-21 08:29:40

Good morning from a very foggy Essex by the sea and it looks like the cars in the carpark have a coating of frost on them too.
We may go out for a walk later, well wrapped up. Nothing much else planned although there is sure to be some sport on tv later for DH to watch.
I have some worrying family news I can't stop thinking about. It goes round and round and gets nowhere.
Thinking of Travelsafar and her family at this sad time.
Have the best Saturday you can and stay safe everyone xx

BlueSapphire Sat 09-Jan-21 08:33:31

Hello and good morning everyone from a very foggy Northampton, no frost today, but it feels cold, and have one hand clasped around a mug of hot tea.

No plans for today, except the usual cleaning of kitchen and bathrooms. Will hunker down in the warm, read the Saturday papers, attempt the cryptic crossword and read more of my book. Managed to get nearly halfway through it yesterday. Will see what's on tv, or watch some recordings. No rugby for my team Saints today as the match is off, due to Covid in the team. Might be another match on though.

Glad to read the good news above re Iris and hopefully Bluebell.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

LauraNorder Sat 09-Jan-21 08:34:19

Oh no, I’ve just read the sad news from Travelsafar I am so sorry flowers

Lins1066 Sat 09-Jan-21 08:35:57

Good morning Mick and all, it doesn't feel as cold here on the S Welsh coast.
Nothing planned today except a walk. Yesterday we could see snow on the tops of the Exmoor Hills opposite. Had take away fish and chips last night, think we will eat out of the freezer too tonight like Pantglas.
Happy Birthday LauraNorder enjoy your day.
Best wishes to all for a decent Saturday and hope that gilly is ok and will come back to us. Hope Cherry,Marydoll are ok.

Grandmafrench Sat 09-Jan-21 08:38:01

Good Morning everyone. It rained in the night, risk of snow showers here (how very dare they!? ?) but I can see a big blue band of sky approaching. A calm day with a Coq au Vin to shop for regarding lunch tomorrow.

Dear Laura - sitting in your warm bed, hair brushed and hopeful of room service and a celebratory breakfast? Hope you have a happy day, receive a card? A present? Some ‘phone calls? Just so you know that in spite of the dreadful dreary drama we’re all struggling with, you’ll see that you’re loved. Hugs to Anglesey from all over, but definitely from the French South! Happy Birthday, you ? ???‍♀️. x

Greyduster Sat 09-Jan-21 08:39:38

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. A gorgeous sunrise this morning heralded a clear but very cold South Yorkshire day ahead. May try and have a walk somewhere. Not much to do today, except more laundry and maybe I’ll get my rug making going again, it was shelved for Christmas. I’m also going to try and wash my hair. I’ve been spraying antibiotics into my ear and was ordered not to wash my hair in case I got water in it, so I bought some dry shampoo, which is horrible. If I don’t wash it soon I will go bonkers!
Happy Birthday, LauraNorder??! Have a good day everyone and stay safe!

baubles Sat 09-Jan-21 08:39:50

Good morning Mick, morning all from S Lanarkshire. It’s still a frozen wasteland around here, no sign of a thaw yet. Yesterday was just glorious, I managed to stir myself to walk into our wee town which was looking so pretty in the snow, little pooch enjoyed the change of scene too, normally we just tramp around the fields.

It’s lovely to hear that Iris is doing so well grandMattie. Happy Birthday LauraNorder, hope you have a good day.

Thinking of all of you with sadness and worries to bear, especially travelsafar today.

Marydoll Sat 09-Jan-21 08:40:45

Good morning all from a chilly Glasgow, where it's MINUS 8!!! ?❄⛸. I don't remember it being this cold for a very long time.
I woke up thinking of Travalasafar, how unbearable her pain must be. ?

I have just been into Tesco online today to update my order and everything I tried to get was unavailable. No oranges, bananas,leeks, light bulbs. ☹ Not a good omen.

Yesterday I got a bit more positive news.When I was in hospital, my tests flagged up a problem with my kidneys, caused they thought by my Tocilizumab injections, (the Covid busting drug, mentioned the other day by Boris). Surprisingly, they are functioning remarkably well, all things considered.
There was also slightly better news about my heart. A comparison of scans with previous ones, showed that the deterioration was not as bad as previously thought. Something positive to hold onto!! The bad news was that not much can really be done to improve things. ?

As well as sharing a room with a retired hospital consultant, my other room mate was a young Italian music student on her way home to Verona.
She collapsed at Glasgow Airport with a pulmonary embolism. The doctors told her that if had she got on the plane, she would have died. I could have wept for her.
She is stuck in hospital, far away from her family and doesn't know how and when she will get home.
Her father was supposed to be coming from Italy yesterday to be with her. However, he must quarantine for ten days, but they have nowhere to stay.?‍♀️ The hospital authorities have very kindly allowed her to stay in hospital until her father arrives.
Also she has been told that she cannot fly, how on earth will they get home?
The nurses have had to help her out with toiletries etc.
We asked her what she thought the best thing about Scotland was, she said it was the kindness of the people of Glasgow. In normal circumstances, I would have sent DH to get her some things but he couldn't even get anywhere near me!

I passed the time trying to improve my Italian by chatting to her. Of course, she noticed my rubbish Roman accent immediately!!!
For those of you who like Commissario Montalbano, she has actually been in his house in Sicily.??????
We also had a slightly bizarre conversation about Italian crime series. She was so surprised that I watched them and knew a few swear words, learned from them. Very useful when your daughter is being groped on the Rome Metro ?
It did bring it home to me, that unless a miracle happens, I will never see my beloved Rome again. ?

My brain is a bit scrambled just now, so please accept my apologies if I haven't replied to your PMs There were so many of them, that I got really muddled.
The phone kept ringing yesterday, at one point the landline and my mobile were ringing at the same time! ?

Wishing better times for those who are struggling just now and there are many of us on here, some who keep the pain quietly in their heart.
To the lurkers observers, please have a go at posting, you will be warmly welcomed.

To our Mick, thank for starting this thread, you are indeed a star!!!!

Hunker down and have the best day you can, pandemic permitting!

grandMattie Sat 09-Jan-21 08:42:00

Happy birthday, Laura!

Beauregard Sat 09-Jan-21 08:42:44

Good morning all from a not at all frosty part of Derbyshire, which is a surprise as we were forecast up to -6 overnight.

Glad Iris is doing so well.

What a surprise we had yesterday. At 10.20am DH got a call from the hospital offering him an appointment for the hernia repair surgery he needs.....on Tuesday!! Apparently there had been a cancellation. He needed to go straight there for 11am for his pre up assessment. Luckily we only live 15 mins away, so he rushed off and got there in time. He has to go back this morning for a covid test and then isolate until Tuesday.

There is a problem though. During the pre op assessment an airways examination showed he doesn't have very good access for the anaesthetic equipment to be inserted, so on the day he will be reassessed to see if the surgery can go ahead. It will be so disappointing if he can't have it done but we've just got to wait and see. At least he doesn't have long to worry about it all!

I think the shelves he's currently putting up will be done a bit quicker now!

Hope everyone has a good Saturday.

Beauregard Sat 09-Jan-21 08:45:01

Happy birthday LauraNorder flowers

Bellasnana Sat 09-Jan-21 08:47:39

For you LauraNorder. Enjoy your day.?

Pittcity Sat 09-Jan-21 08:56:33

Good morning from a freezing Colchester.
Hibernation mode in full swing here. The menfolk are still snoring.
Laundry, pottering and slobbing out today.
DS's favourite, Spag bol for tea as he's back to the Navy tomorrow sad

Anniebach Sat 09-Jan-21 08:57:20

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Jan-21 08:57:24

Good morning Mick and all

The fog is starting to clear here in S E Essex, and it is very cold!

Just as DH stepped into the shower, someone knocked on the door so I scrambled downstairs only to find the delivery men with new washing machine (I hope my attire and wild hair didn't frighten them) they are currently installing it. Today I will endeavour to catch up with 10 days of washing whilst sorting out food delivery which arrived at 8pm last night!

Happy Birthday LauraNorder ???

Good news regarding Iris ?

Really looking forward to hearing from gillybob ?

Take care and keep safe folks ?

Jaxjacky Sat 09-Jan-21 08:59:01

Good morning all from a cold, grey S Hants. Gagagran I must order my readyreads today too. Lauranorder a very Happy Birthday to you ? Good news from the Iris camp. Slightly disturbed sleep with a txt at 3am from PayPal telling me I have a tax rebate, honestly!
Not much planned, as per, DH will nip out to get the paper, my weekly treat and Tesco delivery pm. My thoughts are with Travelsofar.

Grammaretto Sat 09-Jan-21 08:59:50

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it is freezing and the snow hasn't melted. It's like Narnia.
I tried my yaktrax over my boots yesterday which meant I didn't slip. www.yaktrax.co.uk/
I met lots of people and dogs too.

How lovely grandMattie! Your description of Iris enjoying the pool made me smile.

I hope you got your Birthday breakfast in bed Lauranorder. Have a nice day!

Terribly sad about travelsofar. I hope she has someone looking after her.

Very relieved that Marydoll is safely home and has had a lesson in resting.
Thinking of all with worries and fears flowers

Sparklefizz Sat 09-Jan-21 09:04:24

Good morning Mick and all GNs from a cold and dank South Glos.

Happy birthday to LauraNorder. Hope you manage a lovely day despite everything.

I've got a Sainsbury's delivery this morning but they are out of stock of a couple of things I desperately wanted. Grrr.

My son is coming for a "care visit" at lunchtime. He won't come inside the house so it will be brief because of the cold weather, but it will be great to see him as I haven't seen another person for about 10 days.

We will be having a family Zoom tomorrow with my daughter and grandchildren, and maybe even my teacher granddaughter stranded in Qatar.

Thoughts to everyone who is struggling, sad or poorly.
Stay safe. x

Iam64 Sat 09-Jan-21 09:05:12

Good Morning from north Manchester. We still have snow on the hills and its very cold indeed but the skies are bright and it isn't raining, so happy days.
Good to see you're home and feeling ok Marydoll.
I've been in touch with another regular poster who has been very poorly with covid and is still in hospital.
I suspect she isn't alone in being hit by this awful virus.

Keep safe everyone

Pittcity Sat 09-Jan-21 09:08:43

Happy Birthday Lauranorder ??

Much love to all especially Travelsafar and Harrigran...get well soon.flowers

Alygran Sat 09-Jan-21 09:25:49

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s -4 but wall to wall sunshine, I can see the Hambleton hills to the east and the Pennines to the west under a completely blue sky. It’s all covered in snow!
Happy birthday Lauranorder. Hope you got your breakfast in bed.
Great news of Iris. Hydrotherapy is brilliant for getting people on the move.
Thoughts with Travelsofar and all GNs having tough times.
Not much on here today. I have some laundry to do. Will be FaceTiming DGS later and will catch up with the DDs.
Stay safe and have the best day you can.