Gransnet forums

Chat

what time do you have your meals?

(129 Posts)
Franbern Tue 12-Jan-21 18:14:11

Okay, another thread to see if there is any interest. Anything which takes us away from The News at present!!!!

So, for those of you who are home, retired, when do you have your meals. Obviously, we are no longer governed by going to and getting home from work, and unlikely to have children around us.

Once I retired, I found that without the alarm clock my body-clock woke me around 8.00 am each morning. I get up and have my breakfast immediately, getting showered and dressed much later (between 9.00 and 10.00 am).

I then have a very early, light lunch, soon after midday.

Do have a hot drink (winter), cold one in summer, during the afternoon, but then have my main meal soon after 5 pm. I know this is very early, but I am a long-time ostomist and find that eating early helps me have less interruptions for loo visits during the night.

The only thing I have later is a Green Tea.

My children & g.children find my meal times quite difficult, as it does mean (when we are permitted) that it is difficult to arrange going to a restaurant. When we do, they always try to book the earliest possible sitting - usually around 6 pm. They are all very good about this, but I know find it mildly irritating, that I just will not eat later.

I was surprised today when I phoned someone at midday and they said they would phone me back as they were just having the lunch. Thought it was only me that ate that so early.

Just be interesting to know what other retired people do about mealtimes.

Norah Tue 12-Jan-21 19:57:38

6-7 and 1 and 7-8

Grannyben Tue 12-Jan-21 20:07:00

Another one here on the 16:8 diet so breakfast 10am, lunch about 1pm and main evening meal between 5 and 6pm.

tidyskatemum Tue 12-Jan-21 21:16:15

I only eat breakfast on Sunday when we have bacon butties. Lunch is around 1pm and dinner at 8 - though if DH is cooking it’s usually nearer 9, by which time I’m ready to chew my own feet off.

Mollygo Tue 12-Jan-21 21:28:55

We eat breakfast if I remember. We have lunch around 12-1pm then dinner is around 6pm. The only different day is Sunday. Bacon bagels around 11am then dinner as usual.
Whilst opening my ‘cheese advent calendar’ from my daughter we had cheese and crackers around 9pm but the habit didn’t last.

nadateturbe Tue 12-Jan-21 21:32:56

Breakfast between 8 and 9am. Lunch with Neighbours. Tea with Pointless or NI news.
Most of my friends have dinner (tea) earlier now. I rarely have supper.

Calendargirl Tue 12-Jan-21 21:36:43

6-7, 12noon, 4.30pm, 8pm cocoa.

Jaxjacky Tue 12-Jan-21 21:53:11

Breakfast late, between 10:30 and 12, weetabix and fruit, fresh or canned. If I’m hungry a small sandwich about 2. Dinner, most nights with veg, between 7-7:30. Pudding maybe 2-3 times a year, occasional plain digestive with a cuppa.

Grandmabatty Tue 12-Jan-21 21:56:40

I'm diabetic so I have to have regular meals. Breakfast is usually 7.30 - 8.30. Lunch 12.30 - 1.30 and dinner can be between 5.30 - 7.30. I have a cup of tea or two in the morning at 10.30 or 11 and tea about 3 in the afternoon. I don't eat after dinner so never have supper.

GagaJo Tue 12-Jan-21 21:58:04

I'm not a fan of breakfast, if alone. I can usually go until lunchtime with a couple of cups of tea. Lunch at 1ish, but I prefer dinner later. 8ish is best for me. If I eat dinner earlier, I am more inclined to eat snacks in the the evening.

FlexibleFriend Tue 12-Jan-21 22:07:31

Breakfast between 9 and 10, I don't usually eat lunch then evening meal around 6pm. If I do eat lunch then I normally don't eat an evening meal.

misty34 Tue 12-Jan-21 22:09:45

Up about 6am 3 cups of tea- no breakfast. Lunch around 12.30, usually soup or a sandwich plus a biscuit or piece of cake.
Have a bubble bath around 2pm and take to my bed with a book for a couple of hours [sometimes doze off for an hour].
Evening meal after a couple of glasses of wine around 11pm -shocking I know! Bed around 1a.m. This suits me .

Elusivebutterfly Tue 12-Jan-21 22:10:35

My waking up time varies but never early and I have tea then with breakfast later usually 9.30 to 10. I have a small lunch at 12 and dinner around 5-5.30. I always ate lunch early at work but dinner was later then as obviously cooking after work meant it had to be.

Alexa Tue 12-Jan-21 23:44:46

I just had a Cup a Soup at nearly midnight and am wondering if I might just have another of the same.

janeainsworth Wed 13-Jan-21 07:39:08

How different we all are. Here it is
6.30-7.30 cup of tea in bed
8.30 -9.00 breakfast
11.00 coffee
I - 1.30 lunch
4.00 cup of tea + small snack
7.00 -8.00 dinner
Cup of lemon/ginger tea in bed

If I’m on my own for any reason these times tend to go to pot but generally I feel better if meal times are more or less adhered to.

nanna8 Wed 13-Jan-21 08:01:48

8.30 Breakfast
Coffee 10 am and sometimes noon as well. Proper coffee.
Lunch varies, skip sometimes
Tea or cold drink 2 30 ish . Chocolate if no lunch or if there is any around.
6 pm evening meal and glass of wine
7.30 cup of tea
10 pm light supper

Billybob4491 Wed 13-Jan-21 08:03:05

Breakfast at 6am
Lunch at noon
Tea 4pm and thats it for the rest of the day

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 13-Jan-21 08:12:23

I am always first up around 8 am. OH’s medication means he isn’t really with it until around 11 am. I have tea, toast, cereal, pineapple juice and a banana at 8 am. I read the papers, do the crossword, check my emails and have a shower around 10 am. At 1 pm I have a light lunch - sandwich or a slice of quiche. In the evening we eat at 7 am. We take it in turns to cook. Younger son, who has been home during the pandemic, cooks something from scratch, as do I. Fish pie, casseroles, macaroni cheese etc. OH will heat up a Chinese or maybe readymade fish and chips. On Sunday I always make a pudding.

Nortsat Wed 13-Jan-21 08:15:46

Lunch at 12.30 and supper at 7.30.

A piece of fruit during the day and several cups of coffee.

TerriBull Wed 13-Jan-21 08:55:23

Breakfast anytime between 11 am and 1pm sometimes I amalgamate breakfast and lunch. The only time that changes for me, is if we are staying in a hotel, but fat chance of that at the moment grin I have 3 coffees before breakfast usually. Dinner anytime between 6.30 and 7.30 depending how hungry we are.

Franbern Wed 13-Jan-21 08:58:41

Mollygo you mentioned your cheese advent calendar. I did see those on sale and was very tempted. I do love cheese!!

Are they as good as they look???

Kim19 Wed 13-Jan-21 09:11:15

watermeadow, as you will undoubtedly have noticed, many similar eating patterns here to your own. Not even remotely 'shocked'. If it suits you, terrific.

polyester57 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:11:56

Up at around 7.00, glass of squeezed out lemon topped with lukewarm water, then walk the dog from 8.00 to 9.00. Ravenous when I get home so have a large breakfast, bread, cheese, ham, sometimes eggs, piece of cake, if there is any. Consequently not hungry at lunchtime, so usually no lunch. Evening meal between 5.00 and 7.00. Unfortunately, the munchies set in in the evening and I cannot walk past the kitchen without popping something in my mouth, perhaps a couple of left over potatoes, a small bar of chocolate, etc. I, too, am not too happy about dinner parties that start after 7.00 pm, which effectively means that you don´t get to eat till much later. Not much chance of that happening now though. I would actually love to be able to dress up and go out to dinner now, no matter what the time.

timetogo2016 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:26:46

I don`t eat breakfast,main meal between 4pm-5pm then toast or a crisp sandwich some time after 7pm.

NanaPlenty Wed 13-Jan-21 10:27:27

Lockdown has altered our pattern somewhat as I always get up around 8 but my DH lies in until all sorts of odd times. My breakfast has got later - I used to have breakfast following a cup of tea after getting up. I often have later breakfast now maybe 1030. Lunch usually around 1 with lunchtime news/neighbours. Dinner 530/6. Far too much snacking going on and until we get out of lockdown I can’t see much changing in our household.

Madwoman11 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:28:17

Kittylester my meal times are much the same as yours, and I also live alone.
I do however have a lot of cups of tea throughout the day.
I'm up very early and generally in bed by 10pm, so no food for approximately 15 hours. The joy of suiting ourselves eh.