Gransnet forums

Chat

Night Owls: Part Two-whit, Two-woo

(604 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 12-Jan-21 19:25:32

Hello Everyone smile
New thread here.
Thank you all so very much for your company on the first thread.
I'm looking forward to our half asleep, woozy 2am chats moonbrew

nanna8 Tue 26-Jan-21 00:15:39

Do you know how Donald Trump made America Great Again ?
He banned the supply of shredded cheese to all the shops.

Apologies in advance, couldn’t resist...

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 00:29:22

Hello Owls ?moon
I apologise too (sorry lemsip) - but I need to finish my joke. Mine is allowed because it's topical wink

Q: What's the most common owl in the British Isles?

A: The Teet Owl

(Geddit? Tea towel! - I got that one from Come Dine With Me)

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 02:55:33

MistyMooCake would you like to tell us the story of your name please?

I'm phoning the GP tomorrow to discuss my various ailments. Fortunately she's lovely as I'm not looking to to it.

Nicegranny Tue 26-Jan-21 03:03:47

I hate it when I dose off for 10 minutes because this happens, awake at 3 am.
Never mind it looks like rain all day so what’s the problem eh ? I can do whatever I like and get up when I feel like it ?
Anyone else awake?

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 03:16:19

Nicegranny I'm here! smile
As usual!

Nicegranny Tue 26-Jan-21 03:17:48

Hi Fanny are you always up so late?

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 03:29:03

Hello again, sorry, I was scoffing some (delicious, Border) biscuits!
Yes, I am pretty much always awake at this time. I seem to have two sleeps with a few hours of wakefulness in the middle.
Apparently, hundreds of years ago it was common practice to have two sleeps.

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 03:32:31

I've got loads of pain problems like a lot of people who pop in here.
I usually take some painkillers around about now and then nod off again.
Tea, biscuits, Radio 4 and my pets are usually involved too! smile
Like you, my time is very much my own, so my routine has become an odd one.
Have you had much snow where you are?

Nicegranny Tue 26-Jan-21 03:36:12

No lm right down south so it’s been snow free.

Nicegranny Tue 26-Jan-21 03:37:42

I would have fit in a hundred years ago because I could easily do two sleeps.
What pain killers do you take ?

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 03:57:26

At the moment it's amitriptyline and codeine.
Prior to the it was tramadol. I really got on with tramadol, but you aren't allowed to use it with Amitriptyline.
Im not really sure if the amitriptyline is doing any good. It's one of the things that I need to discuss with my GP later.

Nicegranny Tue 26-Jan-21 04:02:51

I was prescribed Zapain last year for my back and they made me really ill. I had to eventually retire as l couldn’t get relief from pain.
Since I haven’t worked l am so much better. The rest of my aches and pains it’s paracetamol only.
I expect you are in the land of nod now and I hope that you are having a lovely sleep.

Kim19 Tue 26-Jan-21 06:48:19

Hello Nicegranny. Like your name. Kinda hope (assume) we all are. I've been playing some games and reading a book but thought I might just pop in here for a quick visit. I've a car problem to see to today which is a pest but I've my jab tomorrrow which counterbalances all negatives for me. Off to watch some telly now. Have a good day whatever that entails.

lemsip Tue 26-Jan-21 07:24:45

there once was a joke thread on here that the main joker was very much on. it should be started up again maybe?
very funny some of them were. I have some good ones! a separate thread perhaps.

Nicegranny Tue 26-Jan-21 14:47:51

Hello Kim19 that’s great to hear you are having the vaccine tomorrow lm sure it will be a very quick affair! I will be so ready for it when it’s my turn I hope it won’t be too long as the facilities are knocking them out pretty fast. Were you awake all night or are you a good sleeper !

FannyCornforth Wed 27-Jan-21 02:45:32

Hello Owls ?
Wishing you all the best for today Kim.
It's been very quiet around here of late. In fact, I don't know if it's just me, but the whole of GN send very quiet, and dare I say it, a bit dull. I think that everyone is ever so slightly depressed.

FannyCornforth Wed 27-Jan-21 02:46:15

Seems very quiet

Kim19 Wed 27-Jan-21 03:17:12

Hello Fanny! Always think it suggests that most people are having a good sleep when it's quiet and that's nice. Not much chance that I'd miss today but I've set my phone alarm just in case. Always do that for the important stuff lest some distraction takes place.

FannyCornforth Wed 27-Jan-21 03:25:58

Hi Kim, do you have far to go for it?

Marilla Wed 27-Jan-21 04:02:34

Hello Owls!
It is quiet this morning. I have been awake since 2, but trying not to go straight onto the iPad and break the cycle.

I know many of you are in pain and are taking various prescriptions. I have been weaning off 40mg of Oxycodone which is an opiate for 16 days. I didn’t really notice the reduction until the first free oxycodone days. I felt dreadful. Uncontrollable tears, horrible feeling in my legs and arms, running to the loo. I thought I was losing the plot. I put the symptoms down to anxiety about family, COVID etc.

I did a little research and these symptoms are very common in withdrawal, even on a carefully managed reduction of the drug.

I am writing this not for ‘well done Marilla’ ’ but to let you know that coming off these medications can be most unpleasant and to ask your GP to be blunt about the possible side effects.

I will begin coming off Pregabalin next week, but I intend to reduce the dosage over a longer period of time.

I promise that future messages will be of a lighter note!

FannyCornforth Wed 27-Jan-21 04:18:20

Hello Marilla
Lovely to hear from you!
Wow, that sounds dreadful - I'm so glad that you are feeling better now.
That is very interesting about opiates. I already take quite a few as I've mentioned before.
I hope that you don't mind me asking - but how do you find the pregabalin?
Thank you!
I think that people, on here and in the rest of the world, are finding it very difficult to find things to talk about.
Marilla, have you been able to go out for a walk yet?

Marilla Wed 27-Jan-21 04:46:59

Hello Fanny

I took a small dose of Pregabalin at the outset and it was upped to the maximum allowed. To be quite honest, I felt it made no difference to the nerve pain whatsoever.
I ended up going along with it as a specific GP insisted that it was the best option. She was rather strident in her approach and I went along with it.

On reflection, I should have persisted on an appointment with the GP who I felt really understood pain management better and I think I wouldn’t have ended up on this specific cocktail of drugs.

I have become a bit of a dullard Fanny and find it difficult to be interesting! I’m not a cake maker, good cook and dreadful at sewing and knitting. I was a graduate in music and playing the piano was my talent. Due to the sciatica I couldn’t sit to play and I’m sure it won’t be too long before I return to playing. At least it will pass a few hours in the day.

But I do wish I could sit knit or sew as it seems so calming and
therapeutic. I am tired of advice of go on to You Tube! It’s great. It’s just not the same. I would have made a shockingly bad Zoom student. ?

FannyCornforth Wed 27-Jan-21 05:22:56

Oh, I'm very similar to you, only with me it's not music, it's art and drawing specifically.
It will be lovely for you to play again! It's almost cinematic - the heroic patient reunited with her passion!
Like you, I wish I could see or knit.
My mom was brilliant, she even made wedding dresses. She nearly started her own business doing it but became a textiles teacher instead because I don't think that she was brave enough.
Anyway - I haven't inherited any of that. I've tried to teach myself to knit and crochet several times to no avail.
I don't think that I have the necessary patience.
I started a thread (smile) about sewing when I first joined here, I asked for ideas of easy needle craft to do. It got lots of replies and ideas. You might be able to find it if you are interested.

Marilla Wed 27-Jan-21 07:05:57

Fanny you have made laugh out loud in my cinematic return to the piano! I see Bette Davis in a magnificent evening dress, accompanied by a symphony orchestra playing Rachmaninov 2.

I enjoyed reading about your mum’s talent in sewing. I hope she wasn’t stifled as a teacher of textiles and was able to make the most of her expertise in the school.

Oh to be able to draw and paint! I envy your talent in the nicest possible way.

nadateturbe Wed 27-Jan-21 07:16:23

Morning all. Groan! I've just woken from a horrible dream. Cut a long story short I was being chased by IRA killer with gun. He dropped it, I grabbed it and shot him twice, blood spurted everywhere and I woke with terrible pain in neck. I think it was caused by news item yesterday about IRA funeral taking place.
It's easing now. But my post will be short.
FannyCornforth you're an artist! I'm glad I didn't share my very amateur paintings. blush
Interesting information on painkillers. Good to know. Marilla How lovely to be able to spend hours playing the piano. I do admire and envy you.
You are all so talented! I fiddle with a keyboard and the only instrument I can sort of play is the tin whistle. (funny, I know)

I too, get told to watch YouTube videos and didn't but forced myself to look yesterday for daughter, who has just bought wool and needles, and found a very basic one on knitting a neck cowl. It was easy to follow so I think I might try knitting or crochet. Its something you could do while watching tv.
Must lie down. All the best for vaccine Kim.