Gransnet forums

Chat

What do we NOT have in the kitchen these days??

(177 Posts)
Franbern Fri 15-Jan-21 15:04:01

Just watching the Hairy Bikers make a steamed pudding (the old fashioned way), - and they used a saucer to make a trivet for in their pot for steaming..

Now I do have a small trivet in the cupboard, and to make steamed pudding these days, I use the microwave rather than that hours in a saucepan.

However, when I thought about it, realised that nowhere in my kitchen is there such a thing as a saucer. As I only use mugs for drinks, long since got rid of cups and saucers to charity shops.

Felt rather silly not having such a basic item as a saucer any more

welbeck Mon 18-Jan-21 03:07:58

i've no idea what some of these things are, might have seen them but didn't grow up with them, so never heard the names.
i do remember the iron in the light fitting. the mangle. what about those wash-boards; the modern ones had thick ribbed glass.
and those kitchen cabinets, a marvel of compact design, with the pull-down enamel topped surface in the middle for bread cutting.
i think they are due for a come-back.
so much elaborate junk in kitchens today, and i hate the ones that look like laboratories.
oh for the happy days of the scullery. that's what we called it when i was young. kitchen sounded as if in a commercial/ institutional premises.