Gransnet forums

Chat

Uncomfortable moments in other people's houses

(208 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 13:26:15

Have you had any?

When I was about 17, I went go my boyfriends house for the first time and met his dad, who was practicing a song by sitting with a finger in one ear and warbling away. (He was in a band)

His wife kept shouting at him from upstairs, and every now and then he would roll his eyes and mimic her mouth with his hand....

After a while he ignored her and carried on singing "rolling in my sweet baby's arms"

Suddenly she ran down the stairs in her bra and knickers, with the toothpaste tube in hand, then proceeded to squirt a huge dollop on top of his bald head. smile

kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:42:30

Husbands customer invited us to a meal at their lovely country house. We arrived and were seated with their teenage son but not offered any drinks or nibbles. Conversation was very stilted. They told us about all the Christian missions they attended each week and how lucky it was for the boy that a mission hall was right next door. They didn't seem to have any other topic and w/o dared what our minister was like.
Eventually we were served a basic meal with no drinks or coffee after and left as soon as was polite.

kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:43:08

Wondered.

Shandy57 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:47:49

I was in my own house with a friend visiting when my most embarrassing incident occurred. My dog ran past the sofa with a sanitary towel sticking out of his mouth either side, like a big bone!

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 16:02:50

A friend of mine popped round to see her in laws, and sat chatting to mum in law, who said she was so pleased that father in law had found a love of gardening since he retired.
"He's always in his shed"

Before she left, her mum in law reminded her to just go and say "bye" to father in law.

My friend went out to the shed, and found that father in law was indeed very busy in his shed... with his trousers down...they made eye contact for a brief moment before my friend hurriedly left.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Jan-21 16:05:19

I've never had such a good laugh in ages, Grammaretto.

Redhead56 Sat 16-Jan-21 16:07:11

I was invited to a party hosted by quite a famous person who my husband knew through work. Most of the people there were involved in local politics it was Liverpool in the 1980s.

A lot of guests were smoking joints which I wasn’t particularly comfortable with. After a while the party got quieter and people were disappearing. It wasn’t until I went to find the loo I realised it was a party full of swingers. I quickly made an escape dragging my then husband with me.

Calendargirl Sat 16-Jan-21 16:23:11

When I was about 12, I went to a friend’s house for a day in the holidays.

We had a nice hot meal with gravy for lunch, and my friend whispered to me to make sure I cleaned my plate well. I wondered why, but no problem as I had enjoyed the food.

I realised what she meant when a portion of sponge pudding, complete with custard, was dolloped onto the same plate.

I had never heard of anyone serving two courses on the same plate, well not if it involved gravy and custard.

My friend blithely said “It saves on the washing up!”.

Tapdance6 Sat 16-Jan-21 16:24:58

I haven't laughed so much in ages. Keep up the good work Gransnetters.

Riverwalk Sat 16-Jan-21 16:29:39

Redhead56

I was invited to a party hosted by quite a famous person who my husband knew through work. Most of the people there were involved in local politics it was Liverpool in the 1980s.

A lot of guests were smoking joints which I wasn’t particularly comfortable with. After a while the party got quieter and people were disappearing. It wasn’t until I went to find the loo I realised it was a party full of swingers. I quickly made an escape dragging my then husband with me.

Oh, don't be a tease - was it Derek Hatton? grin

cornishpatsy Sat 16-Jan-21 16:32:00

Great thread MissAdventure good to see something different and light hearted.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 16-Jan-21 16:40:55

Not in a house, but drs surgery, man complaining bitterly about everything, having to wait too long to be seen, pacing about complaining it was too cold in the surgery, magazines out of date and not to his liking, when he was eventually called into surgery, I remarked quietly to the woman sat next to me, glad I don’t have to go home to him, I do, she said, he’s my husband........ really didn’t know where to put myselfblush

Chewbacca Sat 16-Jan-21 16:49:01

Fab thread MissA! Makes such a refreshing change. wine

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 16-Jan-21 16:56:06

Yes, every time I went to my in laws!!

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 16:58:51

Boyfriend number ones house again.
His little brother went in the loo after me and came out saying "Pwoar! It stinks in there!" blush

Redhead56 Sat 16-Jan-21 17:08:03

River walk no it wasn’t that politician he wasn’t at that party.

Cabbie21 Sat 16-Jan-21 17:30:28

1. We had stayed two nights at my parents' house then went on to the inlaws. I was desperate to do some washing, but it was New Years' Day, so I wasn't allowed to. I was told it was bad luck. My FIL promised to put the washing machine on first thing in the morning. The water was too hot and my baby's clothes all shrank.
2. We were invited for "supper" with some lovely friends. DH made the arrangement and said we had been invited for a meal. We did not eat before we went out. We waited ages before any food was served. It was indeed a lovely " supper", fruit cake and cheese, but not the meal we were expecting. Ever since, I reject the use of the term "supper" for a main meal. It is too ambiguous.

boheminan Sat 16-Jan-21 18:40:35

Long ago my ex husband and I had a couple of friends who had bought an old house which they were decorating.

We were given the royal tour round the house, room by room, ending up in the main bedroom, which was painted sludge white, so I brightly remarked 'It'll look lovely when it's painted', to which my friend responded - 'we finished painting this room yesterday'. We weren't invited back.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Jan-21 18:57:26

Grammaretto ‼️
Truly that’s the best laugh I’ve had all day!
?

Urmstongran Sat 16-Jan-21 18:59:59

Oh Berylsgranny! Bet you wished you’d stayed home.
?

Urmstongran Sat 16-Jan-21 19:02:18

God these are brilliant! Better than the tele.
Great thread!

MamaCaz Sat 16-Jan-21 19:06:52

We lived on a narrowboat, and we were invited to some friends' house one evening. As they liked dogs, they said it was ok to take our young dog with us.
Faced with their huge (in comparison with the space she was used to on a narrowboat, anyway) hallway with a green carpet, our dog must have thought she was in a field, and crouched down to do what she usually did outdoors. Oops ?

SuzannahM Sat 16-Jan-21 19:06:58

Invited to my fiance's house to celebrate the engagement with in-laws-to-be I threw up in their flower bed when I went out to get some air - I think a reaction to nerves/overheated room/too many scented do-das.

Jaxjacky Sat 16-Jan-21 19:13:43

MissAventure really enjoying this thread, thank you.

Urmstongran Sat 16-Jan-21 19:18:13

Back in 1975 - There were were 23y old, married and wanting to sell our house & move. Estate agent comes round, measures up etc. Sits down in chair and asks questions, writing on a pad on a clipboard.

He looks up at me and says ‘I’ll have to have a board’.

Bit panicky I go into the kitchen where Himself had just put the kettle on and was setting out cups & saucers (to impress, we were young).

I say - ‘he says he needs a board!’.
Himself: what kind of a board?
Me: I don’t know he didn’t say
(We were whispering)
Himself: will this do d’you think? (holding up a laminate tray)
Me: well I don’t know. He said a BOARD.

Inspiration struck.
Husband slides the top board off the twin tub.
I think ‘clever man!’ Great idea.

We go back into the other room and as I enter first, Himself behind me with the Hotpoint board, the estate agent looks up and says ‘I was just saying to your wife I think a board in your front garden would help sell this house better as you are on a main road’ .....

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 19:25:02

My friend had a really close family, and they all got together at her mums every christmas eve, and stayed for a few days, since her dad had died suddenly on the the 24th a few years before.

They all had a few drinks and my friend was woken up by her mum screaming in the night... "Michelle! Quick! Terry's in my room and he's got his thing out!"

Her husband was standing over her mum's face, thinking he was in the toilet..