Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(74 Posts)
12Michael Fri 22-Jan-21 06:15:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but another cold morning here in Brackley also dry as well.
Normal Friday shop , I have started to gain a little weight , mainly lockdown boredom of snacking , but its better than loosing it, as when I may have had a mild dose of the virus .
The weather is acting its seasonal self, and can only hope the genie rubs the lamp to a brighter year ahead .
Take Care,
Mick

Beechnut Fri 22-Jan-21 06:22:48

Good Morning all from Severnside. It’s very frosty, very frosty indeed and I have forgotten to put the cover on my windscreen ?

I have to go out this morning so will do a small shop. After my struggle to do any reading I have read one and a half books this week. Later today I think I’ll make a start on some sewing. I want to make a dark petticoat.

Good news about your vaccine Marydoll.

Take care everyone, it’s not nice out there in more ways than one ?

Kim19 Fri 22-Jan-21 06:23:11

Morning Michael and all who follow. Still dark here up north but dry. Can't get those poor people who are flood troubled out of my mind. Just awful. Plenty of snow outside but turning messy rather than pretty. I won't be venturing out in it unless........ I am invited for a jab and then wild horses will be put into action! Hope everyone has the best day possible. I've retained a feel good factor about Fridays even though I'm long since retired. Strange........

grandMattie Fri 22-Jan-21 06:34:04

Good morning from dry, clear E Kent.
Feel really bad for those poor people who’ve been flooded, many not for the first time.
Nothing on today. Might make marmalade if I can get the Seville oranges. Otherwise get on with my patchwork.
Stay safe. ?☀️

Beauregard Fri 22-Jan-21 06:38:46

Good morning all from a dry but cold Derbyshire. I'm up earlier today so am posting before I go for my walk.

Yesterday I managed to buy my seed potatoes, onion sets, peas, seeds etc for the veg garden this year, so I'm prepared for when the time comes to get started. I've saved egg boxes to chit the potatoes which I'll do today. I also bought several box files for the new shelving in the spare room so the big paperwork sort out can begin. Yay! hmm

Hope AuntieFlo has been able to arrange her hospital appointment.

Have a good day all and stay safe.

Gagagran Fri 22-Jan-21 06:40:53

Morning all from a chilly south coast. 0.1c at 6am. Should be some sunny spells later according to the forecast. Lots of green shoots in the garden so spring is wakening up.

Nothing on the agenda for today but things seem to keep turning up. Waiting for a health bulletin from DD's for my peace of mind. Two of them were slightly better yesterday but DGS seemed to have caught it, despite his negative test on Tuesday. Not as worrying about a 15 year old 6ft 2" healthy young man as about his 49 year old Dad who has been quite poorly. DD not too bad so far.

The Parsley Box delivery came yesterday so might try one today. First impression is that the portions are definitely on the small side. Will need padding out with extra veg and/or potatoes, rice etc. Proof of the pudding is in the eating so we'll see how that goes.

Hope the Friday girl, Gilly is still thinking of re-joining us. She is missed.

Take care and keep safe everyone. sunshine

Ashcombe Fri 22-Jan-21 06:46:35

Good morning, everyone from an unexpectedly frosty Torbay! Like Beechnut, I’ve been taken by surprise!

Another surprise, tinged with sadness, is that a lovely couple who rent a flat in this block are soon to complete on a flat they are buying! Of course, I am pleased for them and glad it’s nearby so we could still see each other but they are always so kind and supportive to me, especially since the pandemic and I shall miss them. Yesterday, I also learned that another friendly young couple from here are also looking to buy their own place.

Since I bought my flat six years ago, I’ve seen a few neighbours come and go and they’ve all been decent, hardworking, friendly folk so I’m hoping that any new ones will be from the same mould. My son, who lives in the Midlands, thinks people here are generally pleasant and friendly. Must be the sea air!

Yes, Kim19 and grandMattie, our hearts go out to the poor folk suffering floods on top of everything else at present. Gagagran: I hope your family members make a good recovery and it certainly is good to see Mother Nature awakening to Spring!

Happy weekend, everyone! ?

Bellasnana Fri 22-Jan-21 06:46:41

Good morning all from Malta where we have a temp of around 14°C.

I felt guilty going to the hairdresser yesterday after so many of you said you wished you could get there. I had quite a lot cut off. Next week will be roots. I’m not ready to embrace the grey just yet.?

Nothing much on the cards today, maybe wash the floors.

Shocking scenes on the news seeing the flooding, especially in Cheshire which I know so well being from Chester myself.

Sending best wishes to all and please stay safe.☀️

Viridian Fri 22-Jan-21 06:53:05

Good morning from a starry-skied, dry south Cornwall. A first for me yesterday, ended up in a Zoom lesson with my 11-year-old grandson's class. I told him to turn the screen away as he wouldn't want his old Nana in the lesson and he said, 'Yes, I do!' and proceeded to say, 'Hey everyone, this is my Nana,' and his teacher and classmates all waved. Talk about emotional...

Those dear people flooded out... I've had the experience a long time ago, watching our lounge carpet floating. Awful.

On a happier but not healthy note I had a takeaway McDonald's last night on the way home with 11-year-old's dad. Then we sat in his car and giggled, which we have always done and don't seem to be growing out of.

I like the genie and his lamp idea Mick. Have the best day you can, everyone.

kittylester Fri 22-Jan-21 07:20:06

Good morning all from a dry but chilly North Leicestershire.

I didn't quite make it to the GM thread yesterday. Today we have a man coming to service and replace a few bits on the cooker. The cooker is 15 years old so it's a fine balance between keeping it going and throwing good money after bad!

And, we have an appointment at the dump. We certainly know how to live!!

Butcher's delivery today too. I've ordered fillet steaks so we can use up the last of the Christmas blue cheese in a sauce.

Hi gilly if you are reading.

NanKate Fri 22-Jan-21 07:23:24

Morning Mick and All.

Beautiful blue and orange sky here in South Bucks.

Love your story of the Zoom lesson yesterday Viridian.

Woke up in the night to find a piece of tooth has broken off. It will have to wait until March to be seen to by my Dentist. I must go very carefully till then.

Still working away on some teaching resources for my DS. Must squeeze in my online Spanish lesson and go for my daily walk. The excitement is almost too much ?

NanKate Fri 22-Jan-21 07:24:33

I fancy some of your fillet steak Kitty yum as my DGS would say.

Sar53 Fri 22-Jan-21 07:33:38

Good morning from a dry, chilly Essex by the sea. I've had a bad night and been awake on and off since 3. I finally gave up and came into the lounge and have had an hour's sleep on the sofa.
Some ironing this morning and a brisk walk. I need to banish the dark thoughts I keep having.
I hope all of you with worries, sick family members and of course anyone affected by the floods have the best day you can.
Take care all and stay safe xx

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 07:33:56

Good morning Mick and all

It’s very frosty here in S E Essex, fifth day in a row of homeschooling, we are shattered as the one year old is a little imp, he’s into everything!!!!
The brook at the back of our business premises is very high still, but so far it’s not overflowing. I feel so sad for those who are experiencing flooding.

I gave a little one who is hungry, must dash.

Kee safe and well (and dry) folks ?‍♀️

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jan-21 07:34:36

Good morning Mick and all from a frosty S Hants, same as Gagagran. I think a bit of weight on Mick is par for the course at the moment. Our grandson is 8 today, DD put photos on Facebook about an hour ago, so an excited lad! We’ll do a doorstep present drop later.
No real plans other than a walk today, Sainsbury’s delivered yesterday, an easy quiche for dinner, like others I’m finding evening meals a bit of a chore. Thoughts with Auntieflo today, hoping for the best. Also those with sadness, never far away in my head is Travelsofar. To all of you dear companions, wishing you a gentle day.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 07:34:50

Sorry to hear that-Sar53 have a resting day

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Jan-21 07:38:53

Good morning, it is indeed chilly kitty, just stuck my nose out to pick up my veggie box!

Great excitement in the dragonfly pond yesterday when we got a call from the doctors with an appointment for my DH’s vaccine! She tried to get me in but I am too young ?. I will go with him in case they have a cancellation!

Thinking of Auntieflo today.

Grandmabatty Fri 22-Jan-21 07:39:41

Good morning all. It's still dark but looks dry and cold in Polmont. This is my day free from babysitting, however the boiler is being serviced today and the reminder was for the date,no time being given. So I'm up at usual time. It won't do me any harm! Yesterday dgs and I went out to the swings again and he splashed in puddles again. He loves being outside so that's what we do. Fresh air is good for both of us. His dad had a covid test yesterday as he's unwell and fortunately the results are negative. He still feels ill though. Apart from the gas engineer,I have nothing planned. My son got me a subscription to a painting magazine as part of my Christmas and the first one arrived yesterday so I'll read that while the gas man is here. I hope you have a good day.

Elizabeth1 Fri 22-Jan-21 07:46:48

Good morning all from a very frosty ,dark and windy east coast of Fife where I’m lying snugly in my cosy bed waiting for my kind carer to trudge in around 8.30. I managed to do my little dance exercise yesterday but unfortunately because the video clip was too long to send I was unable to update my family with my standing progress. Me and technology don’t work too well together.

So very sorry to hear about certain parts of the country being flooded out it must be pretty hellish. No going out for a wee run in the car today my dh continues to recover from pneumonia, the frosty weather I don’t think will be good for him. Here’s to a quiet and harmonious day at home fingers crossed ? thinking of those who are struggling today keep safe and stay at home virtual hugs everyone. flowers

brook2704 Fri 22-Jan-21 07:46:59

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’re still covered in snow, it started melting a bit yesterday but so hopefully the rest will go today.
DH is meeting DD2 for a walk today, just the two of them as that’s all the rules allow, I’m pleased they enjoy spending time together as my DH is her stepfather but has been a brilliant dad to her in so many ways.
I’m going to have a quiet lazy day, might pop out for a quick walk to keep my step count up but nothing else planned. I was thinking of browsing holidays for the summer but I’m still not sure yet, but at least I can get a shortlist ready and live in hope!
Hoping everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care whatever the day brings ?

Pittcity Fri 22-Jan-21 08:01:32

Good morning from frosty Colchester. Cold dry day forecast.
I have put our favourite family photos onto a collage to save space in our new smaller house and am expecting delivery today. That and a trip to Lidl to stock up for the weekend is the Friday highlight.
Much love to all xx

Marydoll Fri 22-Jan-21 08:12:28

Good morning all from Glasgow, where we seem to have missed the snow. Thank goodness!

Nothing planned today, but a Tesco delivery. DD ans SIL will be up in the evening to pick up their share. It will be good to see them, DH and I are tired of each other! ?

No Zoom schooling today, as its very tiring for me, dealing with the shopping and Zooming. Dollie had a meltdown yesterday when I said I was having a rest today, but much as I love it, I'm finding it quite tiring. I have asked DH to make curry for dinner, to give me a chance to rest.

Yesterday we had a creative writing lesson and in the midst of it all, Dollie, decide to write me a very long letter. She read it out to me and I had tears in my eyes. It was all about loving having me as her teacher. She then whispered to her mum, That's because I love my gran, yes I love my gran. ?

We also had a French lesson, our pupils start learning French as pre-schoolers. The conversation between, she, papa and I was was hilarious, with all the gesticulating and exaggerated accents!
Because she is so young, she has absolutely no inhibitions. The other morning her daddy went in to wake her up and asked how she was. Her reply: Comme ci comme ça.

NanKate, can you remember the name that primary school in England with all the wonderful, online teaching resources?

We heard some very sad news yesterday. DIL's mum, who is also my neighbour, went to check on her elderly aunt and found her lying dead on the floor beside her bed. Such a terrible shock for all involved.

Thinking of Auntieflo and those poor people, who have been flooded out of their homes, its so upsetting to watch the news.
Take care all.

Grandmafrench Fri 22-Jan-21 08:18:49

Good Morning everyone. Not cold but a calm, bit of a grizzly day here in the South of France.

I have eaten my porridge and am now fit to start the day. There are occasions when I’d fancy a crumpet à la Ellan, but unless I make them myself, no chance. Still we do have the most wonderful croissants ? minutes away - if we feel like a treat, so mustn’t be greedy. Ellen’s need is greater. You’ll post after me but I do hope that no news from your DD is good news - and her dog is ok.

Some interesting vaccination stories - not so much will I get the call, is there enough to go round? More like, will I manage to travel to the long distance/interesting venues on offer? Mindless, expecting disabled/non-driving/shielding souls to organise some sort of long distance tour in order to have the vaccine they need so much. Still.....governments....why are we even surprised? To all of you who get the call, though, fabulous news, and if that location or time is won’t work, don’t let them forget about you.

Flooding is a big worry. Hoping the farming family, cattle etc., are all safe and not in danger, Susan. What next, I wonder? Well, suppose no one’s seen a plague of locusts ....... yet!

Hope most have slept, snow is melting, boilers are working, kitty’s roof repairs come good - very soon. Thinking of everyone with sadness, stress or problems. Auntieflo, travelsafar - and missing posters. Take care, keep safe, stay in if you can. Have a decent Friday and find at least one ? smile.
Hugs ?‍♀️??

ginny Fri 22-Jan-21 08:22:01

Good Morning.
It’s looking a little brighter outside today , hope that rubs of on me.
Gagagran I hope your family make swift recoveries.
Unlike many of you I quite like thinking about different meals to cook. It uses up time and it’s nice to have something tasty to look forward to.
Nothing in particular planned today, a few chores, a short walk and some craft of some kind.
Hope you all find a ? today.

Scentia Fri 22-Jan-21 08:24:21

Good Morning from East Staffordshire, where it is dry and frosty.
I am at work already as we have deliveries coming in and going out and also we had a right 'todo' yesterday when we discovered the carrier company had delivered a pallet to the wrong company and it seemed to have disappeared! I felt like Vera yesterday trying to find it, I think I have located it but now it needs taking to the correct company.
DH came downstairs yesterday having shaved his facial hair clean off, I screamed as it is 20 years since I saw him like that and now I remember why I asked him to grow one!!!! He has a bald head and a bald face now and it is not a pretty sight. He chased me round the kitchen trying to kiss me as I dare not kiss him with no beard. "Such fun" as Miranda's mum would say.
Must get on, have a good day everyone and stay safe.