Gransnet forums

Chat

Corrie

(208 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 19:53:03

Corrie in my opinion are making a real mess of their Corona take in the series
There is just no continuity at all, sometimes no one is wearing a mask or some are and some arent the ones that do wear then often seem to wear them in the street and take them off when they go in the shop!!! They have the masks that are on hanging from an ear or under a nose
The restaurants are opened for seated customers the pub is open
There’s no real sign of social distancing
Its really quite silly and would in my opinion have been better if they had ignored it altogether

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jan-21 09:50:03

Good post dorsetcup I agree entirely
I still look forward to Corrie even if it’s is crxx ?
I found casualty a bit too real with their covid episode and Holby is as random as Corrie, masks on and masks off like yo yo s some on some off in the same screenshot
So you’re right they re damned if they do and dammed if they don’t

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:18:02

Thankyou Bluebelle.
I do find it quite interesting what we watch and why since the pandemic. Initially during the first wave I felt a great need for information and boy were there unlimited sources. Now I actively avoid it,just checking a reputable source so know main points.
I vividly remember last year how live programmes with zoom and social distancing seemed surreal. Perversely pre pandemic programmes seemed just as strange with no social distancing etc as well as having an element of sadness as to how much we took for granted.
It's amazing how you adapt and what becomes normal.!
Interestingly pre pandemic I supported an absolutely lovely gentleman who suffered from extreme anxiety and depression due to some traumatic life events.
He loved TV but was extremely selective. He watched the news but his favourites were the quiz shows during the afternoons,bargain hunt,escape to the country etc. In retrospect it made perfect sense as he was avoiding programmes that might trigger his anxiety. The ones he chose to watch were safe and followed a known format.
Recently I've really appreciated that point of view! I was never a massive fan but I now actively avoid programmes such as Lorraine and This Morning which may have some useful information but on whole just seem to be full of endless speculation and pointless debate from the same old talking heads!
I instead love programmes such as Junior bake off,Bradley Walsh and Son. Pre Christmas I really enjoyed American holiday baking shows. I think it felt better to watch something from a completely different culture rather than memories associated with our familiar chefs!
As I say,strange times and no doubt in the future a source for research.
I must admit that every now and then I do wonder whether opting for bland/generic programmes is a vital tool to get through the current situation or in itself potentially unhealthy!

henetha Sat 23-Jan-21 10:37:08

I agree Corrie is being a bit strange with the masks etc.
But I still enjoy it, it's just a bit of much needed escapism.
It's harmless in my opinion. Anything which gets us through the day without going loopy.

Galaxy Sat 23-Jan-21 10:42:50

That's interesting dorsetcupcake,I am watching things that I never watched or pandemic, detective series mostly, Vera, Lewis even Poirot. I suppose its comfort TV.

Jane10 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:50:05

Galaxy- exactly. Me too. Even though I've seen them all before. It's lovely to lose yourself in a story set in different times. I'm even enjoying books written in the 1930s-50s these days. Great stories.

Daddima Sat 23-Jan-21 10:54:38

I’m usually an ipad viewer, but put the telly on the other day to watch Biden’s inauguration. I thought Lady Gaga’s murdering of the national anthem was up there with the worst things I’ve ever heard, and I couldn’t believe the number of people on social media posting how fabulous it was. Jennifer Lopez was not much better.
Anyway, I find I’m noticing on old programmes or Netflix when people are not social distancing, then I remember that it wasn’t always necessary!

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 23-Jan-21 11:13:53

Indeed I think comfort tv is the order of the day! I think one of the programmes that really hit home was one about a busy train station in London. The episode was filmed during the build up to Christmas 2019. Watching the crowds was mind boggling ?.
Daddima your comments about Lady Gaga and co did make me giggle?.

honeyrose Sun 24-Jan-21 08:54:29

Great posts, Dorsetcupcake61. Very well put! I only watch Corrie but no other soaps and find their attitude to the pandemic rather strange and bitty, but it is entertainment after all, so there is just the slightest nod to COVID. I like escapism tv and Escape to the Country and Homes under the Hammer have become a daily treat. Also love Money for Nothing when it’s one. Also music programmes. Light-hearted stuff reminding me of life BC (before COVID). I do some crafting, reading, jigsaw puzzles too. By the way, I agree with Daddima who rightly, in my opinion, said that Lady Gaga murdered the national anthem. It was dreadful! I do think she has a good voice normally, but this was dreadful and off-key at times. JoLo slightly better, but not much. Lady Gaga and JoLo both staunch Biden supporters - otherwise I would have thought they were strange choices for the Inauguration.

Sarnia Sun 24-Jan-21 09:35:41

I enjoy Corrie but as everyone has said the continuity and storylines are a bit off the mark at times. Even pre-Covid I thought it odd that someone working at, say, the pub or factory, could just get up, mid-shift and say they had to be somewhere and just go! Even though Corrie has Weatherfield FC as their local club I would expect to hear some chat about the big clubs, especially City & United and with Corrie being in Greater Manchester.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 24-Jan-21 09:43:26

Thankyou Honeyrose. I must admit I binge watched Its a Sin yesterday,very good but I know not everyones cup of tea. Its was very strange watching as I was only a few years older than the characters at time. Those were the days,smoking on buses,landlines, no internet! What really struck me was how it was almost impossible to get information. Medics in general dismissive of HIV and one of characters was reliant on another going to USA to bring info back. It's a bit of a pandora s box but with current pandemic we can find information and communication with others in an instant. Obvious problems aside I dont think I will ever not appreciate that!
Have a peaceful day everyone.

MamaCaz Sun 24-Jan-21 09:55:24

As it's fiction, the coronavirus inconsistencies in the soaps really don't bother me.
OH, on the other hand, spends half the time moaning loudly about them.

Mind you, he's like that about every single breach of coronavirus rules he sees on TV now, even if watching a fifty-year old film! ? grin

Calendargirl Fri 29-Jan-21 20:33:44

So fed up with the never-ending on-off relationship between Peter and Carla.

What with his drinking and her jumping into bed with anyone in trousers.

Mind you, I was hoping she’d go off with Lucas tonight, but knew she would return to waste-of-space Peter.

Jane10 Fri 29-Jan-21 22:49:25

I agree. Am bored with the Carla/Peter story.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 30-Jan-21 10:28:50

I am bored with the Carla/Peter storyline too,although she has never been one of my favourite characters.
With regards to Covid I just find myself being more aware of the time discrepancy. I found myself quite annoyed last night when someone walked in the cafe with a mask on and took it off to talk to someone! I suppose it would be less annoying if I didnt find the storylines at the moment quite dull! Maybe it says something that it's so easy to be distracted as the drama not engaging! I'm a lifelong Corrie fan so will stick with it. My real enjoyment are the repeats on ITV3,although you know roughly what happens I find it really engaging, strong characters and story lines. Maybe they would be better doing fewer but better episodes. They do cover important issues but often it feels as though issues are just allocated to a character without there being a sufficient back story to engage you.

nadateturbe Sat 30-Jan-21 11:31:53

Franbern I think Neighbours is maintaining social distancing rules.

The Peter Barlow storyline is showing the reality of being an alcoholic and how it affects the whole family and hoe difficult it is for them to understand. Also highlights how little help is available.

Jane10 Sat 30-Jan-21 16:07:49

Alcoholism is certainly worth highlighting however there's something just irritating about Carla. I've never really warmed to her. I always liked Peter though. It's nice that Daniel is being so caring. Poor Ken. Very sad for him.

paddyanne Sat 30-Jan-21 16:27:10

Daddima Gaga was great ..but thats just a difference of tastes.For instance you like Kenneth Mckellar 's version of Ae Fond Kiss ...I think its tortuous ...sanitised mid century Scottishness in a Kelvinside accent .We all see /hear things differently .She has a fabulous voice ,have you heard her duets with Tony Bennet?

Charleygirl5 Sat 30-Jan-21 17:09:02

Sorry paddyanne what is all of this about?

Calendargirl Sat 30-Jan-21 18:10:09

Charleygirl5

Sorry paddyanne what is all of this about?

Think Paddyanne intended this to go under the US Inauguration thread,

Calendargirl Mon 22-Feb-21 20:45:07

If I’m not fed up with Peter Barlow, sat with a blanket round him like an old granny, whinging and whining. Give us a break!

Also, really annoys me how they just dump expensive bouquets of flowers in the bin when something goes wrong. Why don’t they pass them off to someone else? Would make their day.

Doodledog Mon 22-Feb-21 20:52:44

What is going on with Leanne's flat? Has she had it decorated? There are bits of unpainted plywood nailed all over the place, and it looks like one of those Changing Rooms things where they have a stupidly low budget and don't have to live there when they've finished.

HurdyGurdy Mon 22-Feb-21 22:14:25

I only watch Corrie out of all the soaps, so can only comment on that. But this is something that has really grated.

Either acknowledge Covid within all scenes, or just pretend it doesn't exist and (as far as possible whilst the cast still maintain social distancing) just carry on.

I suspect that Covid has thrown their storyline plans into turmoil with a lot of hasty re-writes and storylines being changed or dropped completely, so I can forgive them for some of the unrealistic scenarios.

I hope that the Simon storyline is well done and not too sensationalised or played down. It is a major issue up and down the country, and it would be really good if they could show both young people and parents how easily YP can be pulled into situations that they can't get themselves out of. Also for parents to be shown the tell-tale signs that their child is at risk of Child Criminal Exploitation/County Lines. .

But please, for goodness sake, sort out the mask issue!

Grandma2213 Tue 23-Feb-21 00:43:33

I watch Corrie and Emmerdale just to relax and have noticed the inconsistencies of mask wearing and distancing but luckily so far it has not bothered me that much. I'm not sure why they pull them off and stick them in their pockets to take out when they leave the building. One thing though, they are trained actors. We should be able to hear them clearly through a mask so that's not an excuse. We all have to do it in real life.

Calendargirl Wed 02-Jun-21 15:41:03

Am I the only one to wonder where you acquire a taser from? Sharon just happened to have one in her handbag, ready to zap poor Jenny. No one about fortunately to witness her evil deed.

She really is the pantomime villain.

Galaxy Wed 02-Jun-21 15:54:45

Sorry but the taser thing was hilarious.