Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(88 Posts)
12Michael Sat 23-Jan-21 06:13:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but dry , cold and frosty out there in Brackley this morning .
Plans for the day , will have a frying pan fry up for a change to my routine , usually cereal but a change is just as good .
I have started to use stock of food ,and some pre made up meals from the freezer ,as though this lockdown made me create some meals .
The usual Chinese which I normally have , will be down to the weather today , as staying in the warm is more inviting .
Take Care ,
Mick

Kalu Sat 23-Jan-21 08:11:26

Elizabeth. A few of us have had the same message from HMRC. It is a scam so don’t worry about it and just bin it and ignore. I was informed, if I didn’t pay up, I would be taken to court!?. Hope you have a good day.

Dwmxwg Sat 23-Jan-21 08:12:26

Good morning Mick and all from a frosty north Surrey.
WILTY is a favourite in our house too, nice to have a new series to watch. I have lots of TV catching up to do, Winterwatch is another favourite, with work and granny duties I have watched no TV for 4 days.
Was glad to get home to my bed last night, think I am not cut out for these long days at work, having to keep mind and body going for a 12 1/2 hour shift is for the youngsters.
DH and I are having a “special” day today as we have been apart most of the week and keeping a safe distance when at home. But we can dog walk together and have a scrabble tournament and steak dinner with Prosecco this evening (we have a long dining table ?). Simple things to warm our hearts and cherish what we have.
Love Carys bluebird Sar, very artistic.
Wishing all a good Saturday, I am going to read yesterday’s GM thread now to catch up.

brook2704 Sat 23-Jan-21 08:14:40

Happy 5th birthday to your DGS ginny I hope he enjoys his special day ???

Viridian Sat 23-Jan-21 08:15:57

It's disturbing Elizabeth, isn't it, when you get an email like this out of the blue? I'd email the HMRC, but not replying to the one you received in case it's a scam, and ask them to clarify your situation.

Nortsat Sat 23-Jan-21 08:19:09

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London, where I can see a bit of blue sky - yay.

I agree Grammaretto, there are many, many floor washing days. I won’t be washing any floors today. I will have a walk, maybe in the sunshine.
We need to do our on line grocery order.
We are working our way through the freezer too. We have a couple of ‘contingency’ frozen pizzas, which we can have for supper. We also have some buffalo chicken wings (delivered with our groceries as a substitution and accepted by my partner!) so we’ll cook them and he can eat as many as he can manage. I hate chicken wings ... yuk. I will make a nice green salad to balance the pizzas, a bit.

It’s our film night tonight. Last week we watched an interesting film with Helen Mirren in it, called The Debt. Apparently we’ve seen it before and my partner remembered it quite well. I had absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever.

Thinking of Auntiflo and Travelsafar, hoping everyone had a decent night sleep and has a happy, peaceful day today. Let’s stay safe and ‘let’s be careful out there’. ?

harrigran Sat 23-Jan-21 08:19:27

Good morning from the NE where there is a harsh frost and it is -1.
Soup making today, leek and celeriac, haven't tried this one before. Usually I make leek and potato or carrot and coriander.
Didn't message any family members yesterday, must check up on all of them.
Take care everyone.

Dwmxwg Sat 23-Jan-21 08:20:37

Elizabeth if you click on sender name their email address will show you it is not HMRC. The real HMRC correspond with paper letters. Please ignore as others have said

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Jan-21 08:22:06

Good morning, chilly here in Leicestershire.

Great excitement yesterday when the doctor rang to say they had 2 vaccines over and did we want them. I told him it was the most exciting thing that had happened in years! It was good we were done together as we are in 2 different age brackets.

I too laughed out loud at Lee Mack last night.

Vegetarian chilli tonight made in my new Ninja.

Have a good day everyone, on my walk yesterday I saw, snowdrops, hellebores, primroses and narcissi!

Litterpicker Sat 23-Jan-21 08:24:51

Good morning from West Sussex where it is dry and a lightish grey, or as DH says is “just sitting there”.
grandMattie I am in awe of your prodigious marmalade session - 60 jars in one day! I have been doing batches of 3lbs of oranges with 2 lemons. Did 3rd batch yesterday.
Ashcombe, WILTY deserves a special award for cheering us up this past year. “The Last Leg” and “Staged” have also made me laugh.
GrannyGravy13 ? ?

Gelisajams Sat 23-Jan-21 08:25:49

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it has been snowing for the last hour or so. It’s starting to lie and really look quite beautiful. A car has just driven up the road leaving tracks in an otherwise undisturbed covering.
Not much planned for today as it’s exercise free day, but my friend in Somerset should phone any minute. I hope she’s had her jab. She panicked when she got the phone call as she wasn’t expecting to travel for it and has no family or transport and has hardly left her flat in 9 months. She said she couldn’t get there. Someone later reminded her to get a taxi as they we quite safe but when she rang back to say she could get there she was a the bottom of the list again.
Will catch up later.
Take care, stay safe everyone ?

baubles Sat 23-Jan-21 08:43:05

Good morning Mick, morning all. It’s still treacherous outside, the snow has frozen solid, I wouldn’t be surprised to see our ice skating neighbour whizzing by again. There must have been a rise in temperature yesterday for a while as in the middle of the afternoon there was a sudden, extremely loud, whooshing noise followed by a huge THUD. We opened the front door to be confronted by a large pile of snow which had fallen from the roof. So glad the postie had already called, could have been nasty. grin

I’ll put my cleats on my wellies and get out for a walk later, it looks like it could be another beautiful but freezing day.

That’s a beautiful picture Sar, I’d put that in a frame.

Getting difficult to pin a smile on every day but I’ll try to remember that the signs of spring are there, even if I can’t see them yet.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.

Grandmabatty Sat 23-Jan-21 08:43:12

Good morning all from a very frosty Polmont. I'm just up so a long lie for me. I had a lovely sleep which is extremely unusual for me and it has done me good. Momb I'm sorry you had a disturbed night. I can sympathise. Elizabeth I may be wrong, but Hrmc would never ask you to pay by email. Even when I got a rebate it was by letter. Be very careful. Viridian Annsixty said on another thread that she was taking a break. Yesterday was a productive day at Batty Towers. I was waiting for the gas engineer so got most of the weekly clean done a day earlier than normal. Dd and dgs popped in later on with morning rolls and a chicken pie and then the gas engineer arrived. Fully masked and two doors between us,he got on with the service. Dgs was not happy as he likes to know what's going on! Anyway,job done and ticked off til next year. I will have to brave the cold and scrape the car to head to the chemist as my prescription has run out. Then wash the bedding and the floors and everything is done. The rest of the day I'm going to draw and paint. Have a good day all

Lins1066 Sat 23-Jan-21 08:46:13

Good morning Mick and all from our part of the S Welsh coast, cold and frosty here.
Lovely picture Sar, Carys is a talented girl, I like that name.
Hopefully we will get out for a walk today ( and wave over to Cherry ) and I have sheets to put out on the line. A fruit and veg delivery later this morning, good as my fridge is a bit bare. That's about it from here, hope everyone will have something to brighten their day today. Above all stay safe.

Marydoll Sat 23-Jan-21 08:52:37

Good morning all, as Kalu, its cold here in Glasgow, -3°.

I have nothing planned today, apart from washing my hair, (which takes a huge effort) and watching James Martin.
I must remind DD to bring her hairdressing scissors, my fringe is really annoying me.

I managed a short walk to the end of the road yesterday, my first day out, which took an hour! DH was not amused, as people kept stopping to ask how I was. DH doesn't understand my craving for social interaction, as he is the original Quiet Man. ?

My daughter sent me a You Tube video last night from 1995, which an ex pupil had posted on Facebook of a First Communion service.
It brought a tear to my eye, when I saw all my old colleagues, some whom are now deceased!
What on earth made me think I looked good, with long, curly red hair, a straw hat ( hats were required to be worn) and a jacket with huge shoulder pads? A cross between Crystal Tips and Joan Collins. ?

I heard some very sad news yesterday. A friend's granddaughter, who is thirty six weeks pregnant, is very ill in hospital with Covid.
She caught it from her husband, a community ophthalmologist, who was asymptomatic.
Although he was wearing full PPE, some of his patients were not wearing masks, either unable to do so, or refused to do so, when he was treating them. The poor chap has been sleeping in his car outside the hospital, in case he gets a call. It's heartbreaking.

Sending my best wishes to all our poorly friends. ?

Anniebach Sat 23-Jan-21 08:54:02

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Pittcity Sat 23-Jan-21 08:54:16

Good morning from a grey Colchester. DH has gone fishing so I am going to clean the oven. We are moving and the seller of our new house has asked if we will be using the in situ oven as, if so, she will get it cleaned. This has shamed me into looking at the one here. We know the new owner will be getting a new kitchen but at least it'll be cleanish when they first move in.
Otherwise TV and takeaway is Saturday here.

Marydoll Sat 23-Jan-21 08:55:49

I forgot to say to Elizbeth, go into your Government Gateway account and you can check your tax, just to reassure yourself.
If you don't have an account, create one.
I plan to go in today, to check my state pension forecast, which is due in May.

Alygran Sat 23-Jan-21 08:56:15

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s sunny again but very cold.
Coffee and croissants for breakfast shortly then I’m going for a walk at the arboretum later. I think the snowdrops will be out.
Sar the painting is lovely.
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

NannyJan53 Sat 23-Jan-21 08:59:42

Good morning from a snowy Black Country. It is a Winter Wonderland outside!

Had a 90 minutes walk yesterday afternoon, to the park, around and back.

Dinner was Steak, mushrooms and baked potato. Then settled down to watch WILTY, always a favourite here.

No real plans today, except for researching colours for decorating the Living room and a new sofa, carpet and curtains! Think we have decided on blue and yellow. It will be a while though, as we need an electrician and plasterer in first. Hopefully by April when we have had the vaccine!

Elizabeth as I understand it HMRC would never ask for money by e-mail, it is always by post.

Wishing you all a good and safe day

Urmstongran Sat 23-Jan-21 09:01:40

Good morning everyone from a damp South Manchester. We have a 20% chance of rain apparently. Hope it stays dry towards lunchtime as we could meet the smalls on their bikes if daughter and son-in-law take them to our local park. It was torrential rain last Saturday so it wasn’t possible. We are very lucky especially in these strange times to live a ten minute walk from them.

Dental appointment went great yesterday. I love to hear those words ‘I’ll see you in six months’!

grandMattie I’d not have space in our little apartment for 6 jars of marmalade, never mind 60! Good job Sainsbury’s downstairs is my larder. I’m into ‘Roses’ lime marmalade at present - nice to ring the changes. My favourite is the Scottish ‘Mackay’s’ orange.

That said, your idea of a cooked breakfast has tempted me now Mick so sausage, fried eggs, mushrooms and potato cakes it is. Himself grinned when I suggested it! His smile for the day hehe.

Hope Saturday is good to us all. Love Cary’s painting Sar and her name too. Hope your shoulder is better today harri. A nuisance I’ll bet. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Ps. This made me laugh yesterday! Oh, the words didn’t appear. It was ‘these last 7 years have been a trial haven’t they?’

Viridian Sat 23-Jan-21 09:04:36

Thanks Grandmabatty.

Stilllearning Sat 23-Jan-21 09:09:10

Morning from a still snowy and frosty bit of S Lanarkshire.
I’ll read the posts after breakfast but I thought I’d catch a moment when I’m cheerful for a change! I’ve just watched the postie turned sea shantie singer on BBC Breakfast, very cheerily giving a wee rendition and it has give a real boost to my day!
I’ll quit while I’m ahead now and wish everyone the best day they can x

Sparklefizz Sat 23-Jan-21 09:11:58

Good morning Mick and everyone from South Glos where we have heavy frost and freezing fog.

I love Would I Lie to You, and have been rewatching old episodes on Dave - I prescribe 2 of those before bedtime for a good night's sleep smile

Had a lovely long phone call from an old college friend yesterday which really lifted my spirits. She and her husband have had their jabs. Can't wait for mine.

A day of chores today, and a couple of hours of voluntary work online.

Have a safe day everyone, and special thoughts to any who are troubled or not well. x

Urmstongran Sat 23-Jan-21 09:20:36

Meant to say a warm welcome to you BibleBookworm it’s lovely to have you join us from so far away!
?

Glad to hear you’re feeling more cheerful today Stilllearning. Some days are just difficult aren’t they? Exactly how you are today GG13 I hope some good news comes along soon to cheer you.

Oh heck - it’s bluddy snowing now! Thick flakes & sticking too. Looks like a Christmas card already. Another week without seeing the smalls it seems.
?

Grammaretto Sat 23-Jan-21 09:24:45

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it is fine but snow is still lying so very icy I imagine. I lost one of my yaktrax on my walk yesterday so I will have to hop if I go out.
My Dsis is having a party/disco on zoom tonight. I will pop in and say hello. It's either that or a Burns Supper on zoom., or not.

I love your DGD blue bird Sar
There was a blue bird on Winter watch yesterday but what was it? Maybe Carys knows?

My DGC sent me drawings yesterday which I will stick up on the wall before they get buried under the pile of paper.

Saturday brunch would be an idea. I think I have missed breakfast.