Gransnet forums

Chat

The Argy Bargy Bar is back!

(1001 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 27-Jan-21 21:44:26

Hello Argies, regulars and newcomers, after meeting Moneybags Mike this evening we have another year’s lease on the bar ( £8/10/6d! Daylight robbery)
Drop in here anytime for a chat, banter and a drink or three.
Every Friday is a ‘theme nite’ there may be a raffle and there is always humour along with strong poteen.

lemongrove Thu 28-Jan-21 20:34:06

Just two house rules to remember Janet and BigBertha
Keep a pair of marigolds about you all the time and keep a hand on your ha’penny, we get a rough lot in here.....don’t take any nonsense.

lemongrove Thu 28-Jan-21 20:39:18

Thanks for plates Pittcity did you get them from Plato the bubble, down the market? He’s an old friend of The Argy from way back, he said he might pop in on Friday with his mate Ari to give us a few authentic Greek songs.

lemongrove Thu 28-Jan-21 20:47:45

I wonder if a pint of poteen goes well with an ouzo chaser?
I’ll sit here for a bit with my plate of stuffed olives ( thanks Laura not sure what you stuffed them with... J cloth?)

JanetG Thu 28-Jan-21 20:50:40

I’m a little scared now Lemongrove. I may dig out my liberty bodice as extra protection - will it still fit do you think? I need room for the delicious stuffed olives.

muse Thu 28-Jan-21 20:56:19

Tell Vlad to line up a generous Dark & Stormy for me please. Got a long day tomorrow and will need it. Rum, Ginger Beer and Lime. Heavy on the rum please.

I may still be in wellies so please excuse my muddy footprints.

Just watched Junior Bake Off. They made a falafel with a yorkshire pudding. Is chef up to this?

muse Thu 28-Jan-21 20:58:27

Meant to say - It will be my first time in The Argy Bargy Bar. Perhaps I'd better leave the wellies at the door! grin

lemongrove Thu 28-Jan-21 21:04:30

A likely story muse.....have seen you in here many a time,
Knocking it back and flirting with Thor! I have been admiring your long black wig.....are you a Goth?

ixion Thu 28-Jan-21 21:07:16

muse Keep those wellies on, girl. You'll be needing them, believe me.

ixion Thu 28-Jan-21 21:32:16

Hermes at the front door.
Anyone expecting a delivery?

Doodle Thu 28-Jan-21 23:04:48

Oh dear muse, I fear you’ve been led astray already. I sent you to soop’s kitchen where I thought you’d be safe but now I see you’ve found your way into the den of iniquity which is the Argy. Leave your manners and good behaviour at the door. Be warned you may never get to leave this place ?

Doodle Thu 28-Jan-21 23:09:38

ixion that’s priceless grin
Welcome BigBertha. Big girls are always welcome in the Argy just look out for the old sea dog the Admiral who has an eye for the ladies and the more of them the better as far as he’s concerned.
JanetG that liberty bodice is a bit small. There’s more of you on the outside than there is inside it. ?

Nemesia Thu 28-Jan-21 23:45:44

ixion

Hermes at the front door.
Anyone expecting a delivery?

Oh thank goodness- I read that as HERPES! grin

ixion Fri 29-Jan-21 09:34:59

Just off to locate the delivery from yesterday - no-one opened the door so he unceremoniously had dumped it further down the street, apparently?‍♀️

Now, no talking about me and speculating in my absence, please?

BRB

ixion Fri 29-Jan-21 09:48:36

Ouf (puffs heavily)
Hope you're feeling musical tonight!
Two huge boxes of bouzoukis.....
Can someone please put the spellcheck on The Admiral's laptop, and check out his search engine?

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 10:43:48

Bouzoukis? Nah! We don’t want any huge hounds in here thanks, bad enough with the llamas ( and who’s idea were those I should like to know!)

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 10:45:16

We dragged the wooden horse round the back btw, punters kept falling over it.
Is there anything inside? I thought I heard moanings.

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 10:51:51

Have sent Franz, Thor and Vlad ,our energetic bar staff, (when you can get them off their backs) down to the market, though Franz was complaining a bit, as he has agoraphobia!
Anyway, they will buy as much goats cheese, olives and eggs as they can carry.I shall be making my trademark Greek salad for supper ( with added mystery ingredients.....many grown in the back alley.)

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 10:55:11

George Clooney had to leave us this morning, he has a bit of filming lined up in LA, but says he’s missing us already.
He’s cleaned the Nespresso machine and said something about ‘tarts’ before he jumped in his car, so maybe there are some sweet treats around in the kitchen.

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 10:57:11

cafe anyone? I think I need two cups, or is that a double entendre??

ixion Fri 29-Jan-21 11:04:20

lemongrove
Are you sure George has really gone?
Those suspicious groanings continue to emanate from the Wooden Horse.
Should we do a roll call?

JanetG Fri 29-Jan-21 12:58:41

Are the barmen back yet? I didn’t realise we had a choice of three! I could do with an ouzotini, to give me courage to exit my liberty bodice. I hope they’re not stuck in the wooden horse!
I’m really looking forward to back alley salad!

Gingerbit Fri 29-Jan-21 13:35:23

It's all Greek to me

Charleygirl5 Fri 29-Jan-21 13:54:05

ixion you took the very words out of my mouth. In that ghastly place, wellies would be insufficient- you will need waders. As you can probably gather, I have standards and would never ever enter that place. I did once but never again.

ixion Fri 29-Jan-21 14:37:16

I wondered about the graffiti on the sign over the door

Abandon Hope Class All Ye Who Enter Here

Cruel.

Charleygirl5 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:47:29

ixion as I said, I have standards and would never lower myself to that level.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion