Gransnet forums

Chat

When Are You ‘Elderly’?

(170 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 02-Feb-21 13:05:02

My cousin, just 68, had her car broken into at home, but luckily not stolen.

She reported the incident to the police, and was pleased but surprised when a police officer visited her.

She said she didn’t know whether to laugh or cry when he said he was sent out because she was ‘elderly’.

Lucca Tue 02-Feb-21 14:27:25

MY mother returned from a cruise and said it was full of old people. She was 84.

A nice family were walking towards me and the little girl said “move to the side mummy there’s an old lady coming” Aaaargh! I’m 71.

sodapop Tue 02-Feb-21 14:27:56

Blinko

In my book, 'elderly' is at least ten years older than me - at any given age.

Spot on Blinko grin

lizzypopbottle Tue 02-Feb-21 14:34:43

I won't be 'elderly' while I can still do this:

Gwyneth Tue 02-Feb-21 14:46:03

Not wishing to high-jack your thread Calendargirl but as many posters including myself, seem to be unhappy with the term ‘elderly’ what other term could be used? Suggestions please!!

term can they

grandMattie Tue 02-Feb-21 14:51:24

What’s happened to “old”?

lizzypopbottle Tue 02-Feb-21 14:57:14

I'm 'older' than many people, grandMattie, but that doesn't make me old. It's a very limiting word.

NannyJan53 Tue 02-Feb-21 15:00:23

When my Nan was in her 70's, we asked her why she didn't go with Granddad some afternoons to the club for pensioners. She said ' I ay gooing there, tis full of old folk' smile She was Black Country through and through.

My Mum is 91 and I don't think of her as elderly, as she still does all her housework, gardening etc.

MissChateline Tue 02-Feb-21 15:02:31

Elderly......never, ...even though I get my first pension payment next Monday.
I still feel much the same as I did in my 30’s.I still walk 10 miles a day, run up and down several flights of stairs, my Fitbit says 112 flights so far today and when it’s not so damp outside I enjoy climbing my favourite tree in the woods much to the delight of my grandchildren. I don’t think I will ever feel elderly!

Gwyneth Tue 02-Feb-21 15:03:29

So maybe it would be better not to use ‘ elderly’ at all. Maybe over 60, 70, 80 etc.

Gwyneth Tue 02-Feb-21 15:05:40

Wow amazing Misschateline.

lizzypopbottle Tue 02-Feb-21 15:13:08

Just to add, people can be very judgemental and apply long established, outdated stereotypes as soon as they know your age. Also, people are incredibly interested in other people's age! Every newspaper article has the subject's age in brackets. This was explained to me as giving the reader context but what relevance does it have if Jane Smith, who witnessed an incident, is 28 or 68 years old? How does that provide the reader with context? Age is just a number. My number will be 69 on the 11th of this month. What does that tell anyone about me, my health, my status, my education, my achievements etc? All these things are individual and unique to me. It does allow me to be patronised or dismissed out of hand, though.

Rant? Moi? ?

3nanny6 Tue 02-Feb-21 15:16:02

I just hate it when you have not seen someone you know well and they say " You are still looking great for your age" why not You look great that is enough.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 02-Feb-21 15:17:44

Ditto "Blinko*

In my book, 'elderly' is at least ten years older than me - at any given age.

Grandma70s Tue 02-Feb-21 15:31:46

People are scared of words that remind them if their mortality, like elderly, old, die, death. That’s why euphemisms like ‘pass away’ are common. Being elderly or old is nothing to be ashamed of, so why worry about the words?

That said, when my father first became a grandfather at the age of 64 (my first child) he thought he was far too young.

Tweedle24 Tue 02-Feb-21 15:45:10

Those who were termed elderly when pregnant at 28 were doing OK. I had ‘elderly primagravida’ in my notes at 23!

That was in 1968 and I think the average age for first pregnancy has gone up quite significantly since then.

LullyDully Tue 02-Feb-21 17:06:08

I became elderly when the Government kindly pointed it out to me March 2020.

welbeck Tue 02-Feb-21 17:25:54

i prefer senior citizen.
suggests wisdom. and being integral to the community.

M0nica Tue 02-Feb-21 17:32:44

When it is to my advantage. Been on the phone to electricity supplier as we had had our electricity supply line moved and the meter needed to be moved.

Having sorted everything out, day, date and time, I thought, when I rang EDF to get the meter moved, despite thinking that the arrangements were firm, I was told they were doing emergencies only, when a consumer was without power. No problem, we were without power. In which case they would be round in the next 24 hours. Not what I was told on Friday.

I immediately starte whining, 2 elderly people, headng for 80 (77), DH out of hospital still very ill. The engineer arrived at 4.00pm and we now have light and power.

Thats the circumstances where you describe yourself as elderly.

Calendargirl Tue 02-Feb-21 17:38:47

Gwyneth

Not wishing to high-jack your thread Calendargirl but as many posters including myself, seem to be unhappy with the term ‘elderly’ what other term could be used? Suggestions please!!

term can they

It’s just that ‘elderly’ immediately brings to mind the road sign with a stooped old man and woman, with sticks I think, saying ‘Elderly People’.

Often positioned near a nursing home or similar.

Can’t think of a good alternative, apart from ‘seniors’ which sounds a bit American.

Gwyneth Tue 02-Feb-21 17:53:18

Yes I agree calendargirl that sign is not a good look and is not a realistic image of older people today who for the most part ‘live life to the full’.
I do remember as a teenager, and am ashamed to say, using the expression ‘wrinklies’.

Witzend Tue 02-Feb-21 17:59:41

According to my notes, I was an ‘elderly’ primigravida when pregnant at 28!

Other than that, I gather that it’s when you hit the deck and have ‘had a fall’ rather than having merely fallen over.

M0nica Tue 02-Feb-21 18:01:45

Witzend so was I!

Callistemon Tue 02-Feb-21 18:04:32

Witzend

According to my notes, I was an ‘elderly’ primigravida when pregnant at 28!

Other than that, I gather that it’s when you hit the deck and have ‘had a fall’ rather than having merely fallen over.

Me too. Elderly primagravida and not even 30!

And I have tripped over more recently. Is that tripping over because I'm clumsy or 'having a fall' because of lack of concentration?

Blossoming Tue 02-Feb-21 18:05:38

65 in medical statistics

V3ra Tue 02-Feb-21 18:06:46

I've been on the Tui holidays website this afternoon.
The drop-down box in the "Add Your Details" date-of-birth section gives a list of years of birth starting at 1870.
Now that's old to be still going on holiday ?