Gransnet forums

Chat

Well, that’s another fine mess I’ve gotten myself into.....!

(52 Posts)
Katek Wed 03-Feb-21 07:21:59

I’ve broken my hip! A couple of weeks ago I had a UTI, got up very quickly first thing to get to the bathroom, bp dropped like a stone and I fainted. Unfortunately I landed hard on my right hip and that was that. Bumpy ambulance ride (well it certainly felt like it!) and I was in surgery the following day. I’d fractured the neck of the femur, so for technical reasons to do with blood supply it was easier to carry out a partial replacement. I was home after 4 days and now begins the hard work of recovery. I cannot praise the hospital staff highly enough, they were all so caring and considerate. I can’t say the same for a couple of patients however, who were constantly talking in normal tones on their mobiles from 5am onwards-including talking to ‘nannie’s boy’ ....... the dog!! Grrr!
I’m feeling very loved and spoilt by my family and friends including several lovely Gnetters. You know who you are. Thank you all x

Juliet27 Wed 03-Feb-21 07:26:18

Well that's one way to get a cure for a UTI !!

mumofmadboys Wed 03-Feb-21 07:30:08

Sorry to hear that Kate. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care

CanadianGran Wed 03-Feb-21 07:30:22

Oh, I am so sorry to hear it, Hope your recovery goes well. You've got us to keep you company.flowers

grandmajet Wed 03-Feb-21 07:34:37

Oh you poor thing. I’m glad you have plenty of support, it sounds as if you need it. 4 days is quite a short stay for such an injury isn’t it? I imagine they want to get people home as quickly as possible.
Having spent quite a bit of time in hospital over the past year or so, including a 16 day stay at one point, I totally agree with you that the staff are wonderful - I felt safe and cared for throughout my stay. Most of my fellow patients were lovely too, but there was one really annoying one who caused the rest of us to withdraw behind our curtains! Unfortunately they don’t provide sound proofing do they?
All the best for your continued recovery, hopefully you’ll be skipping about when the spring weather comes?

brook2704 Wed 03-Feb-21 07:39:03

Wishing you a speedy recovery katek and take care ?

Nanabanana1 Wed 03-Feb-21 07:45:22

?? For you hope you’re back on your feet soon.

Sar53 Wed 03-Feb-21 08:01:08

Sorry to hear your news Katek, I wish you a speedy recovery ? xx

ginny Wed 03-Feb-21 08:02:09

Wishing you a speedy recovery ?

BlueBelle Wed 03-Feb-21 08:15:47

Wow that from 0 to a 1000 in one move totally bad luck and commiserations for the fall but wow speedy work by the NHS at their best even in the midst of all this crxx
I hope all goes well for a quick recovery Kate

dragonfly46 Wed 03-Feb-21 08:16:59

So sorry to hear that. I hope you are up and about soon!

baubles Wed 03-Feb-21 08:22:26

What bad luck katek, I hope you heal quickly. thanks

sodapop Wed 03-Feb-21 08:22:32

Oh no Katek How easily these things happen. I hope you are up and about soon as well.
Good to hear you were well cared for by the hospital and your family. One of my pet hates people being inconsiderate in their use of mobile phones.
Take care thanks

M0nica Wed 03-Feb-21 09:17:48

Oh, poor you! Still the weather is miserable and with the lockdown, you are not missing much!

Get well soon.

PamelaJ1 Wed 03-Feb-21 09:26:33

On the bright side if you can’t do much then this is the time to do it.
Everyone I know and , unfortunately, I know quite a few people who have had this op they have all made a terrific recovery, as I am sure you will.

harrigran Wed 03-Feb-21 09:32:00

Speedy recovery KateK.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Feb-21 09:35:33

Upwards and onwards KateK ?

Blossoming Wed 03-Feb-21 09:40:37

I hope your recovery goes well. Do you have some support at home?

Bathsheba Wed 03-Feb-21 09:40:38

Oh poor you Kate, what a horrible thing to have to go through, and all because you needed the loo sad.

And I simply do not understand why night time is no longer the sacred quiet time in hospitals that it once was - nurses used to creep about, the only light being a small, dim one by the sister's desk. Nowadays the staff chatter, people come and go noisily and talk in normal voices, with no regard for other, unwell people who need to sleep. You have my sympathy having to deal with that for four nights as well as the discomfort of a broken hip and post surgery recovery.

Hoping your recovery goes smoothly and you're soon back to full health flowers

Urmstongran Wed 03-Feb-21 09:40:45

Gosh what an awful shock to you it must have been on that morning KateK! Best wishes for your convalescence. x

Kim19 Wed 03-Feb-21 09:45:26

Wow! That's a high price to pay for a spritely rise from bed. I hope your progress is slow, steady and perfectly formed. You're certainly not missing much outside weatherwise. I will think of you as I now move from horizontal in a less spritely manner! Hope your pain/discomfort is minimal and that you'll give us a progress report from time to time. My very best wishes for you complete recovery. ?

Jane10 Wed 03-Feb-21 09:45:40

Glad to hear that, despite everything, you're still sounding cheerful! Good luck getting mobile again. As others have said it's not as if you're missing much these days. Rest, relax and read good books!

Callistemon Wed 03-Feb-21 10:09:20

Oh dear - another hazard of UTIs!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and hoping that you're not in too much pain, Katek flowers

Elusivebutterfly Wed 03-Feb-21 10:12:24

I hope you recover quickly.

annodomini Wed 03-Feb-21 10:18:08

What bad luck Katek. I hope the UTI cleared up and that you'll be well on the way to recovery after the op. flowers