Gransnet forums

Chat

When you win the lottery

(83 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 04-Feb-21 20:08:29

If you are like me and play the lottery, you will know exactly how you are going to spend your mega million pound winnings. But before you help all your family and friends, find a cure for all the worst diseases, help the planet, save the world and then go on the holiday of a lifetime , what will be your first treat yourself cos you can purchase? I intend to empty my knicker draw into the bin. All those with the over stretched elastic. The white ones which are grey from being in the wrong wash. The ones where the fabric is so worn they are virtually in holes. And the ones you most definitely don't want to be wearing when you get run over by the proverbial bus. Then I will replace them all. Nothing too fancy. M&S will do nicely, but the individual ones not the multi packs. I might even buy matching bras too.

FlexibleFriend Thu 04-Feb-21 20:16:52

I don't have any underwear I'm ashamed of, so for me it would be a new car as mine although in great condition it's 15years old so due for replacement.

Maggiemaybe Thu 04-Feb-21 20:26:46

I think you should do the shopping first, Lizbethann55, before you bin your old ones. smile

I can't think of anything of the top of my head - I'm sure I will though if I give it a bit of thought....

Harris27 Thu 04-Feb-21 20:29:08

A whole wall,of books followed by a whole rack of handbags! Sorry it’s my one full weakness!!!

Lizbethann55 Thu 04-Feb-21 20:29:44

"Maggiemaybe* that is a very good point and one I hadn't considered! I just know that would be the very trip when the bus finally got me!!???????????‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️

sodapop Thu 04-Feb-21 21:32:23

A whole wall of books for me too Harris and a new tablet.

Mogsmaw Thu 04-Feb-21 21:49:52

I think the advice if you win loads of money is to buy something relatively small but a luxury you’d not normally buy yourself. A drawer full of individual knickers sounds a good place to start.
I’m having some hand dyed mohair from the borders and the jumper (about £100) and the jumper pattern to knit it.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Feb-21 22:14:44

I'd like to book myself a week away somewhere so I could think.

Just a guest house or something, by the sea. smile
What a lovely thought. Particularly as I don't do the lottery.

Jaxjacky Thu 04-Feb-21 22:18:59

I can’t think of anything, perhaps my husband had better stop doing it! Or perhaps he has plans?

EllanVannin Thu 04-Feb-21 22:32:15

Knickers ?

annodomini Thu 04-Feb-21 22:55:41

Two weeks at Champneys or similar health 'farm'. Then a complete refurbishment of my wardrobe. Setting up a family trust for my AC, DGC and any future GGC. Property for all and invest in my future care. Donations to my favourite charities,
All that, of course, presupposes a win on the Euro Lottery!

lemsip Thu 04-Feb-21 23:04:17

well im winning the lottery gradually, won thirty pounds on 'set for life' twice in recent weeks and had several £3 wins and the odd fiver. lol!

MissAdventure Thu 04-Feb-21 23:08:49

You're obviously in line for "the big one" next. smile

Woodmouse Thu 04-Feb-21 23:13:20

A blinking massive bottle of Channel No 5.

Maggiemaybe Thu 04-Feb-21 23:26:23

I’ve thought of something! A smart TV, with a biggish screen. So whenever a text or an email comes through in the middle of a drama, we can read it. We might be able to follow the plots then. grin

misty34 Thu 04-Feb-21 23:31:46

Definitely the books! No handbags for me Harris but shoes are a different matter!

ElaineI Thu 04-Feb-21 23:49:04

New car and an iPad and a new house with a bigger kitchen and more than one bathroom.

BrightandBreezy Fri 05-Feb-21 00:58:38

One of those handbags I look at then say 'how much!????' before walking away muttering about the madness of people who have, as my mother would say 'more money than sense'. smile

BigBertha1 Fri 05-Feb-21 09:22:07

A sports car!!!

BlueSapphire Fri 05-Feb-21 09:36:55

I'd have a new kitchen, the whole house redecorated, furnished and carpeted, and then have the garden professionally landscaped.

Erica23 Fri 05-Feb-21 10:04:04

Oh yes a whole drawer full of matching knickers and bras, no doubt DH would love that too. Next would be expensive candles, and lovely face creams.
I would also love a 24 hour carer for my mum, so I could sleep at night and have relaxing holidays. Good luck everyone.

WW010 Fri 05-Feb-21 10:05:57

MissAdventure

I'd like to book myself a week away somewhere so I could think.

Just a guest house or something, by the sea. smile
What a lovely thought. Particularly as I don't do the lottery.

Agree! Brilliant idea. Not sure I’d even tell anyone until I’d got my head clear.

vampirequeen Fri 05-Feb-21 10:07:01

I'd like to have my bras and pants made to measure. Lots of lacy but comfortable undies. Sounds divine.

WW010 Fri 05-Feb-21 10:11:43

Can’t think of anything small? Am sure there must be something. I did read recently (article by a guy who looks after new lottery winners) that winning the lottery doesn’t change your money ‘personality’. I.e. if you’re careful now you’ll still be careful. And vice versa. As said above - I’d look at something overpriced and say “how much” and put it back ?.

henetha Fri 05-Feb-21 10:18:27

I'd probably replace this ancient laptop...