Gransnet forums

Chat

When you win the lottery

(84 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 04-Feb-21 20:08:29

If you are like me and play the lottery, you will know exactly how you are going to spend your mega million pound winnings. But before you help all your family and friends, find a cure for all the worst diseases, help the planet, save the world and then go on the holiday of a lifetime , what will be your first treat yourself cos you can purchase? I intend to empty my knicker draw into the bin. All those with the over stretched elastic. The white ones which are grey from being in the wrong wash. The ones where the fabric is so worn they are virtually in holes. And the ones you most definitely don't want to be wearing when you get run over by the proverbial bus. Then I will replace them all. Nothing too fancy. M&S will do nicely, but the individual ones not the multi packs. I might even buy matching bras too.

timetogo2016 Fri 05-Feb-21 10:22:24

A cottage overlooking the sea and no neighbours.

Blossoming Fri 05-Feb-21 10:27:19

A week’s intensive neurophysio with a really good therapist

helgawills Fri 05-Feb-21 10:41:02

A set of bamboo knitting needles and crochet hook, then some wool. And books.

highlanddreams Fri 05-Feb-21 10:42:54

I would due a huge grocery shop adding everything I wanted without looking at the price, I've never been able to do that in my life before and I'd turn the heating on in every room for a change!

jenni123 Fri 05-Feb-21 10:50:37

I would buy a bungalow with sea view. i actually live in a seaside town but I have not managed to leave my flat in over a year so not seen the sea (or anything else) in that time. i am trapped in my flat and not just because of Covid. I live in a 1st floor sheltered flat and I am disabled, to go out I need my small disability buggy or a wheelchair. the problem is I have 6 very heavy fire doors to negotiate to get in or out. They are so heavy I have trouble trying to hold them open and of course I then have to try to 'drive' my buggy through the door, it is impossible unless I have someone who can hold the doors open. i spoke to my H A landlord asking if they could put automatic openers on them, they said 'No, this building is not wheelchair friendly', I was not in a wheelchair when I moved in 6 years ago.
I am on council lists hoping for a move and also I pay to belong to many exchange sites but no luck , so a move to a suitable property would be the first thing I would buy

Alioop Fri 05-Feb-21 10:56:45

My own personal trainer to help me get rid of my lockdown pounds, some nice new pretty clothes to encourage me out of my comfy jumpers and leggings and bottles of my fav perfume.

Redhead56 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:00:18

Only get a ticket on a rare occasion if I won would give it to my son and daughter. I don't want for anything and as I get older material possessions mean nothing to me.

Theoddbird Fri 05-Feb-21 11:03:00

I don't want millions. I just want to be able to buy a little cottage near the sea. Nowt too fancy.

Patsy429 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:05:38

I would love an interior designer (obviously have a big new house) who would just show me designs and I would say yes, I'll have that one and they would do all the shopping, all the work, matching fabrics, etc. etc.
Upstairs needs decorating and I can't face it. We managed downstairs just before lockdown and by the end of it I really hated B&Q. Now we're looking to tile the downstairs loo so more upheaval. I just want to point to a picture and say you get on with it!

allsortsofbags Fri 05-Feb-21 11:08:06

I think my first I would arrange to buy would be made to measure bras for myself and DD's, we all struggle to get properly fitting bras. Not bothered about fancy just a good fit.

Next a properly fitting prosthetic leg for my sister-in-law. And an electric buggy for her, she is refusing to succumb to one but we keep offering.

After that sort out some gifts to family, friends and charities we support and arrange a big family holiday.

This has made me smile just thinking about it, may be we'd better start doing the Lottery :-)

EllanVannin Fri 05-Feb-21 11:12:57

Family would be the priority. What would I need at 80 odd ?
A chauffeur perhaps, that'd be a luxury and also a comfortable and convenient way of getting out and about. I personally wouldn't wish for much else really.

Paperbackwriter Fri 05-Feb-21 11:19:20

Forget the Lottery, do the knicker drawer thing NOW! Nobody needs to have grim old underwear with knackered elastic and greyed colour. Yuck!

MaizieD Fri 05-Feb-21 11:26:50

I'd have some new sofas made that are exactly how I want them. The current ones are knackered but I just can't find what I want to replace them.

Then a covered horse walker and an indoor arena as a huge treat for my DD and her talented horse. Then we wouldn't have to worry about the nonstop rain and snow.... grin

marpau Fri 05-Feb-21 11:30:16

A week somewhere not to think about it then a new tablet and some new specs. Can't think of anything else other than helping DC.

cassandra264 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:30:16

If I won it tomorrow, I'd pay someone local with the expertise a week's wages to make me within 24 hours the slippers I would have had for a Christmas present! Under lockdown everyone had already ordered same; the supplier now has more orders than they can cope with; and it may be spring before they are once again available.
Refusing to compromise and being pig headed in old age has resulted in cold feet sad

Aepgirl Fri 05-Feb-21 11:34:00

A new TV - I could do with a larger one as my present one is constantly reminding me that my eyesight is not what it was.

Juicylucy Fri 05-Feb-21 11:34:11

New car with all the bells and whistles.

sue01 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:38:59

I will buy The Old Pier in Weston Super Mare and save it from falling in to the sea.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 05-Feb-21 11:42:13

FlexibleFriend

I don't have any underwear I'm ashamed of, so for me it would be a new car as mine although in great condition it's 15years old so due for replacement.

I do have underwear I’m ashamed of but my first purchase would also be a new car. Like yours mine is fifteen and has cost me too much in repairs over the last couple of years.

NanaPlenty Fri 05-Feb-21 11:44:55

Well....I did win! This week £74? Very pleased with it and bought a takeaway and booked a new patient apt at the Dentist?. But seriously I don’t want for much - if I had a big win....treat family would be very high on my list and someone to landscape the garden maybe . Happy dreaming everyone.

scourw Fri 05-Feb-21 11:45:20

I'd change my electric wheelchair for one from Harley Davidson. It wouldn't go any faster but it would sound greeeeaaat!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:50:39

I'd like to run amok in M&S too and I'd certainly replace my present underwear with matching sets and perhaps more pyjamas too. It's something I'm threatening to do when this lockdown eventually ends and we get back to 'normal.'

Blinko Fri 05-Feb-21 12:02:54

I'd pay off the kids' mortgages, as well probably bung £1m each in the bank for them anyway, and also the GCs.

Then, I'd get an interior designer in, choose the perfect look for each room and pay someone to do it; then have the garden landscaped.

Erm, maybe a new car...

Otherwise, happy enough smile

sundowngirl Fri 05-Feb-21 12:19:41

After setting my children and grandchildren up for life, I love the idea of an interior designer, the garden landscaped and a personal shopper with unlimited budget- I'm rubbish with ideas but always love other people's when I see them.

Bluecat Fri 05-Feb-21 12:24:50

Private health care for our daughter. Then a holiday in the USA, when the restrictions are lifted, for us all to visit our other daughter in Wisconsin.