Gransnet forums

Chat

Covid precautions poster - should we have one on gn?

(62 Posts)
kittylester Sun 07-Feb-21 10:49:57

It seems that, normally, everywhere I go on the internet there is some sort of message, usually offering advice on stopping the spread - should there be one on gn?

M0nica Sun 07-Feb-21 17:05:46

If there is anyone on GN who doesn't yet know the rules or is choosing to disregard them then advertising them on GN will make no difference to their behaviour.

They will either not see the advert, not read it or take no notice of what it says.

Callistemon Sun 07-Feb-21 17:18:28

I don't see anything at all against having a reminder which comes up on the home screen and I'm surprised that GNHQ don't do this

Whilst many posters may see this as annoying and patronising because yes, if we haven't got the message by now we may never get it, there are always a few who may think twice if they have a gentle daily reminder when they log on first thing.

The majority can just ignore it just as you can ignore threads you don't want to join.

NotAGran55 Sun 07-Feb-21 17:20:52

Some people only think of themselves and have no consideration for others and never will .

For reasons best known to themselves the rules don’t apply .

Government advice to avoid public transport unless essential, shop infrequently , stay home etc through the previous lockdowns being totally ignored.

A banner on here won’t make a jot of difference to such individuals and the rest of us don’t need it .

Greeneyedgirl Sun 07-Feb-21 17:25:24

I don’t think that not having enough information causes people to engage in risky behaviour. It’s more complex than that unfortunately.

Lillie Sun 07-Feb-21 17:32:46

It might not make much difference at the moment to keep reminding people, but come a couple of months down the line when restaurants, hotels etc. start opening then that would be the right moment.
Last time these esablishemnts used the words 'covid free', 'covid secure' with gay abandon in order to entice customers back. Nowhere will be covid safe for ages even if you have had the jab.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Feb-21 17:33:56

lauraorder I may be wrong but I think people are tested negative before they leave a hospital at least the two friends I have, who ve had to have hospital treatment have been tested before leaving
Can’t comment on any other walkabouts, no idea, but I just think that’s how hospitals work

A banner on here won’t make a jot of difference to such individuals and the rest of us don’t need it agreed notagran

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Feb-21 17:34:10

If there was one, I doubt I'd actually read it. I've seen it on other sites, including our doctors, but never actually read one! It'd just be another thing to get in the way, like the agreeing to cookies one. (Although I do usually change that one to necessary ones only.)

BlueSky Sun 07-Feb-21 17:35:25

We all know now about washing hands, keeping a distance and wearing a face mask. What would be helpful now would be to make clear what we can/can’t do after the first, and indeed, the second jab.

Marydoll Sun 07-Feb-21 17:42:46

I tested negative in hospital, but had to self isolate when I came home.
I then did a test at home before I thought of even considering leaving the house.

Lillie Sun 07-Feb-21 17:47:29

Exactly BlueSky.
They are reporting a surge in holiday bookings for example. From which date should that be allowed or advisable etc?

LauraNorder Sun 07-Feb-21 17:49:59

Bluebelle, I’m sure you’re right but if the tests were so reliable we wouldn’t need to put travellers in to quarantine hotels.
As Marydoll says she had the test on leaving hospital but still had the good sense to quarantine. Thinking of others.
I do think that ‘thinking of others’ should be at the forefront of any messages.

Hetty58 Sun 07-Feb-21 17:56:33

kittylester, I think a message about being cautious and caring for others would be good. OK, it might not make much difference - but it would be a clear statement of the majority view on here.

Even now, after a year of this, some think it's just fine to be open about ignoring the rules. They should be very ashamed and keep quiet.

JenniferEccles Sun 07-Feb-21 17:59:24

Somebody may be tested negative on leaving hospital but they could still be in the very early stages of contracting the virus, but at too early a stage for it to register as positive on a test.

Surely that’s why it’s sensible for the person to self isolate for 10 days to be on the safe side.

I would like to think it wouldn’t be necessary to spell that out to people but maybe it is!

LauraNorder Sun 07-Feb-21 18:07:05

JenniferEccles, I think it is necessary to spell it out.
I’ve just read another post elsewhere about someone who’s had a jab and feeling more confident about getting out and about.
Reminders about the dangers and reminders that we still need to take every care even after vaccination can’t do any harm.

Riverwalk Sun 07-Feb-21 18:16:00

Recently one of our most lovely and popular posters went to hospital, returned home and immediately went walkabout without any period of quarantine. That poster then obtained a ‘mask wearing’ exemption and continues to wander in and out of takeaway food outlets and supermarkets.

Nobody has been mean enough to point this out but it is so important that well meaning and kind people are made aware that they are a danger to themselves and others.

Why would it be mean to point out to the 'lovely and popular poster' the error of their ways?

maddyone Sun 07-Feb-21 18:17:37

BlueBelle
My mother tested negative twice before leaving hospital after a fall (a week long stay) but the day after she arrived home she felt ill, the carer rang for an ambulance and when she got back to hospital, she then tested positive for Covid. Unfortunately, as we’d been told she was negative and had no need to isolate, my husband called round to do a small job for her, became infected by her, though they were both wearing masks, and he brought the infection home to me. I ended up in hospital for twelve days, very ill with Covid.
So unfortunately the tests aren’t always accurate and so people coming home from hospital should isolate in my opinion. Marydoll was responsible but obviously not everyone is.

maddyone Sun 07-Feb-21 18:20:21

Incidentally my mother and my husband were both barely ill, just off colour for a day or so, and a slight cough. It was me who suffered the worst and I hadn’t even seen my mother.

BlueSky Sun 07-Feb-21 18:21:42

Wouldn’t we be warned by the hospital
staff to isolate once home? Because I don’t think many would think it was necessary especially after a negative test.

Blossoming Sun 07-Feb-21 18:22:52

There is a Covid information section on the Gransnet website, click on ‘Coronavirus’ just under the banner heading.

Biscuitmuncher Sun 07-Feb-21 18:32:17

I want an escape from the fear and the brain washing thank you

JenniferEccles Sun 07-Feb-21 18:35:52

LauraNorder Is it a question of needing to spell things out to people, assuming they don’t know what they should be doing, or is it the case that some people are well aware of what precautions they should still be taking, but just do what they want, when they want, regardless?

Liz46 Sun 07-Feb-21 18:49:11

One of our neighbours had a responsible job yet seems to be remarkably stupid. He had his vaccination and next day his daughter came to his house and we overheard him saying to her 'you don't need that mask, I'm all jabbed up'!

LauraNorder Sun 07-Feb-21 18:50:05

I think in the case I mentioned the person concerned is oblivious to the mistake. Otherwise the days adventures wouldn’t be mentioned in such a naive way. The person is not arrogant or the sort who wouldn’t care, just perhaps a bit unaware.
Riverwalk it is a peculiar thing that no one pulls up this person where others would be jumped on. Hard to explain.

Blossoming Sun 07-Feb-21 18:50:13

Why would it be mean to point out to the 'lovely and popular poster' the error of their ways?

Actually somebody has, and others have agreed.

BlueSky Sun 07-Feb-21 18:52:44

Maddyone what happened to you and your family is very worrying indeed.