Gransnet forums

Chat

Are some people just daft?

(35 Posts)
Craftycat Sun 07-Feb-21 11:20:52

I went to have my jab yesterday. I was really pleased to get it so soon as I am only just 70. We had to queue up in the car park of the local community centre & it did take about an hour.
We were given a time slot in the email telling us about it so I turned up 5 mins before my slot at 13.40pm to make sure I could get a parking space. There was quite a long queue but it wasn't cold or wet & I had my Kindle with me so I wasn't bothered.
But I was really shocked at how many people turned up & went straight to the front of the queue saying they had a slot for the morning session. I am not kidding when I say there were at least 20 people who did this while I was waiting. To be fair they were told they would have to go to the back of the queue but I felt so sorry for the people organising it as they were taking a lot of stick. They were supposed to be there hours before! Are people just stupid or so self centred that they expect everyone else to make way for them.
I consider myself lucky to have had the jab so soon & it is just plain good manners to turn up on time.
Well done the staff who kept their cool & got us all in as soon as possible.
I think times like these bring out the worst in some people.
Very relieved to have had my jab.

tidyskatemum Sun 07-Feb-21 19:32:20

I'm going off at a bit of a tangent here but DD's MiL in Scotland is due her first jab tomorrow. She's not sure whether she'll get there as a) she says she can't remember what time her appointment is and b) she's currently at her daughter's house in Glasgow, having broken the rules about not going out of your local authority area. DD is ready to strangle her!

Blinko Sun 07-Feb-21 20:00:53

A friend of ours reckons that, going on various activities reportedly carrying on (regardless) across the country during lockdown, a good 40% of the population is simply stupid.

Looks like he could have a point.

Doodledog Sun 07-Feb-21 20:22:08

I have noticed that since the first lockdown there has been a very unpleasant trend for people to call others stupid if the do things differently from them. There is even a tabloid vocabulary for it - ‘Covidiots’ and the like.

I suppose it’s a reaction to fear and a need for people to tell themselves that what they are doing is ‘right’ - to do that, others must be ‘wrong’.

I really hope that things go back to normal when all this is over.

Cabbie21 Sun 07-Feb-21 20:30:31

My appointment was at 11am, a fifteen minute drive away, so I allowed 30 minutes in case of traffic or parking problems. There were none, so I waited in the car. There was a short queue, so I joined it at 10.55 and reached the entrance at 11am. The inside queue was controlled, I was checked in at the door, asked about allergies etc at another desk and received my vaccine at 11.07, sat down until 11.23 then checked out. All very smooth and efficient.

Blinko Mon 08-Feb-21 11:37:22

Doodledog

I have noticed that since the first lockdown there has been a very unpleasant trend for people to call others stupid if the do things differently from them. There is even a tabloid vocabulary for it - ‘Covidiots’ and the like.

I suppose it’s a reaction to fear and a need for people to tell themselves that what they are doing is ‘right’ - to do that, others must be ‘wrong’.

I really hope that things go back to normal when all this is over.

Not sure if this was aimed in my direction, but if it is, can I just point out that my remarks were about those people who have been carrying on life as though nothing has changed, thereby endangering themselves and the rest of the population.

Doodledog Mon 08-Feb-21 11:41:28

No, I wasn't directing my comment at anyone in particular. Just an observation that intolerance seems to have increased exponentially since the start of all this, and that, combined with the willingness of many to 'turn people in' leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.

Teacheranne Mon 08-Feb-21 13:30:40

Well, I don’t know what I will do if I have to queue even for a few minutes as I with my arthritis, I find standing still very painful. I will need to park close to the door using my blue badge and will take along my folding stool to sit on in case there is a queue.

As I’m not in the first categories to get the vaccine, I’m hoping that most people going at the same time as me will be fit and not in need of assistance as I am!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 08-Feb-21 13:36:23

I think some people are so self-centred and impatient that they expect others to pick the phone up within two rings, or to open the door within a nanosecond of them knocking - as if the world revolves around them just because they want something. I used to work with someone like this, it must be awful to be so strung up like that.

Anniezee Tue 09-Feb-21 11:53:59

In my opinion you should always be early for any appointment. Its just plain rude to be late, especially routinely late as so many people are. You should allow for possible traffic delays etc. To be late says your time is more valuable than those you are meeting with. I'd rather be an hour early than a minute late. Well brought up I guess!!!