Gransnet forums

Chat

Illegal migrants’ amnesty vaccine.

(220 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 07-Feb-21 23:01:40

1.3 million illegal migrants in the UK are being urged by the government to register with a GP and get the Covid vaccination - and the Home Office will ‘take no action’ if they comply.

I dare say the main role of any Government is to protect its legal citizens, therefore on the one hand this is laudable however 1.3 million people here with ‘backgrounds unknown’ is shocking. That’s 1:70 people living here! Who knew?

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 19:39:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EllanVannin Mon 08-Feb-21 19:55:12

WW010 Mon 08-Feb-21 20:02:42

Personally I think we’ve got bigger problems to solve than a few illegal immigrants. Let them have their jabs and move on. As a radical thought. I read a book recently by Rutger Berger which posits the idea of no borders at all - anywhere. We all become citizens of the world.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 20:04:21

Wouldn’t work. We’d all be queuing to live in Urmston.
??

growstuff Mon 08-Feb-21 20:07:20

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 20:23:13

PippaZ Mon 08-Feb-21 20:30:11

I’m amazed that you seem to think paying of taxes isn’t important?

Where did I say that Urmstongran?

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 20:46:56

You said this PippaZ:

Oh my. I can't believe you are off on the "those of us who pay taxes" mantra. That has almost become the cult chant for some I feel.

I was responding to that really. Was I wrong?

Alegrias1 Mon 08-Feb-21 20:48:53

However they did it, they KNOW it’s wrong.

Hmmmm.... tell that to the Windrush generation

EllanVannin Mon 08-Feb-21 20:51:50

Ngaio1 Mon 08-Feb-21 20:53:03

PippaZ. Goodness - we are on our high horse! My point is that if someone is willing to break laws once they may well be willing to do so again. We should all respect the law - I do so in Arabic countries and would not dream of doing anything else. Nobody is above the law. By the way, I do not buy the Daily Mail.

PippaZ Mon 08-Feb-21 20:58:44

Urmstongran

You said this PippaZ:

Oh my. I can't believe you are off on the "those of us who pay taxes" mantra. That has almost become the cult chant for some I feel.

I was responding to that really. Was I wrong?

Yes, but I am quite sure you knew that.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 21:04:01

Thank you Ngaio1. At least you understand what I’m getting at.

And I don’t think we’re talking ‘Windrush’ here Alegrias. People who felt disenfranchised & shabbily treated from that debacle have already come forward with their legal representation. And quite right too.

No, this is more insidious.
It involves modern day slavery too.

As I say it’s one helluva mess. Someone profits from all this human misery. It needs tackling not just shrugging of the shoulders.

Hetty58 Mon 08-Feb-21 21:11:43

The majority of them haven't entered the country illegally. They've simply overstayed their work or study visa, work cash in hand and stay outside the official system.

They should, of course, be encouraged to get the immunisations. Asking them to register with a GP simply won't work, though.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 21:14:40

They've simply overstayed their work or study visa, work cash in hand and stay outside the official system.

That’s illegal Hetty58.‼️
It’s also what I’d said but what to do about it?

I do agree that I hope they come forward for vaccines.
I don’t think the majority will though.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Feb-21 21:16:16

Hetty58 Mon 08-Feb-21 21:32:02

We don't need everyone vaccinated, though, do we? It won't ruin our vaccination programme if they don't comply

Yes, Urmstongran, it's illegal - but exactly how many people pay their cleaners, gardeners and handymen (handypersons?) cash - with no questions asked?

How many tradespeople and taxi drivers really pay their fair share of income tax? In the real world, there's an awful lot of illegal stuff going on.

Ngaio1 Mon 08-Feb-21 21:49:05

Urmstogran. Great minds! ...............

Chewbacca Mon 08-Feb-21 22:20:18

We don't need everyone vaccinated, though, do we? It won't ruin our vaccination programme
if they don't comply

Vaccination of migrants to one side for a moment Hetty58, I'm taken aback by your apparent change in stance re vaccination of everyone, especially as you've stated elsewhere that you would treat as outcasts anyone you knew that had rejected the vaccine. "Illegal immigrants" are already treated as outcasts by a significant percentage of the country already, just by virtue of being here; surely if we knew they were all vaccinated and couldn't spread the virus amongst the population, it would be one less stigma attached to them. Or would you treat them differently?

suziewoozie Tue 09-Feb-21 00:01:58

As Chewbacca said it’s in everyone’s interests to have as many people as possible vaccinated. Apart from the fact that unvaccinated people will be more likely to transmit the virus, some are also more likely to be ill with the virus and that uses up health care resources that otherwise could be used for non COVID health care. Whatever the rights and wrongs of illegal immigration, it shouldn’t be relevant to the public health issue of access to the vaccine. However, I feel extremely doubtful about how likely many people in this category will be willing to come forward to be vaccinated. I expect some relevant charities could help to some extent but overall, I can’t see how it would really happen in large numbers

vegansrock Tue 09-Feb-21 07:04:50

AmberSpyglass Tue 09-Feb-21 07:36:34

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Calendargirl Tue 09-Feb-21 07:40:47

nanna8 Tue 09-Feb-21 07:44:42

PippaZ Tue 09-Feb-21 09:56:05