Gransnet forums

Chat

Illegal migrants’ amnesty vaccine.

(220 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 07-Feb-21 23:01:40

1.3 million illegal migrants in the UK are being urged by the government to register with a GP and get the Covid vaccination - and the Home Office will ‘take no action’ if they comply.

I dare say the main role of any Government is to protect its legal citizens, therefore on the one hand this is laudable however 1.3 million people here with ‘backgrounds unknown’ is shocking. That’s 1:70 people living here! Who knew?

growstuff Tue 09-Feb-21 17:20:10

I wonder how many people would be involved and just who they are. The first phase only includes people over 50, a few with serious health conditions and those working as carers. How many people belong to those groups? My guess is that only local people working with those groups would know who they are.

PippaZ Tue 09-Feb-21 18:08:15

That was very much my thinking GrannyGravy.

GagaJo Tue 09-Feb-21 18:11:16

Yes, WWM, much nicer conversation without racism creeping in.

I am afraid that I think that although one maybe illegal and one immoral, one is much more wrong than the other. The difference between a impoverished mother, trying to earn a little extra cash to feed children and a multimillionaire, avoiding paying into a system by paying his share of taxes, while draining hundreds of thousands out in bungs from his government mates is monumental.

I am not a Christian, but if I were, I am pretty sure I would be very clear which side God would be on. The widow and her mite, etc.

suziewoozie Tue 09-Feb-21 18:22:41

Urm your apology hasn’t saved me from accusations by you and Fire. that I was involved in pms flying around. Instead of apologising you might have checked your facts first before calling me out and encouraging at least one other to pile in with you. I know I’m not one of the incrowd and will never get the support you do but I don’t lie, use racist language even unthinkingly, plot vis PMs or post misleading/ inaccurate information. Well I know exactly where I stand and now I await the pile on for not accepting your apology graciously when if you’d just checked your facts, you’d have saved a lot of grief.

PippaZ Tue 09-Feb-21 18:33:05

I wonder if one very easy way to help the economy would be to cut out some of the govenment instigated ways of avoiding tax. Simplifying the system has to be done at some point surely.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 09-Feb-21 18:44:28

PippaZ

I wonder if one very easy way to help the economy would be to cut out some of the govenment instigated ways of avoiding tax. Simplifying the system has to be done at some point surely.

It’s complicated, every day people invest in ISAs so as not to pay tax on interest gained.

Expenses claimed, what’s a reasonable amount for board and food when working away? Those who work abroad and judge the days they can spend at home in the UK without having to pay UK taxes.

It would take a very brave Government to address and overhaul the tax system.

LauraNorder Tue 09-Feb-21 18:59:35

Suziewoozie. If you are referring to me as the other who piled in. I merely pointed out that Urms is usually a polite and nice poster . I stand by that. I probably exacerbated the situation and should have kept shtum. I apologise to you and to Urms for not minding my own business.
I did not send or receive any personal message to or from Urms or anyone else connected to this thread.
However I have just received your unnecessary, unkind and heated personal message to me. Totally uncalled for.
Please do not contact me personally again.

growstuff Tue 09-Feb-21 19:02:25

GrannyGravy13

PippaZ

It’s complicated, every day people invest in ISAs so as not to pay tax on interest gained.

Expenses claimed, what’s a reasonable amount for board and food when working away? Those who work abroad and judge the days they can spend at home in the UK without having to pay UK taxes.

Do you know how much interest ISAs pay? grin

The no-interest element was a sweetener to get people to invest.

growstuff Tue 09-Feb-21 19:04:45

LauraNorder

*Suziewoozie*. If you are referring to me as the other who piled in. I merely pointed out that Urms is usually a polite and nice poster . I stand by that. I probably exacerbated the situation and should have kept shtum. I apologise to you and to Urms for not minding my own business.
I did not send or receive any personal message to or from Urms or anyone else connected to this thread.
However I have just received your unnecessary, unkind and heated personal message to me. Totally uncalled for.
Please do not contact me personally again.

I didn't pile into anything, but I did have a post deleted because it made reference to a deleted post, which I found offensive, but didn't report. I know very well what the deleted post said.

growstuff Tue 09-Feb-21 19:08:09

Oh dear! I hope my last post won't be deleted because it made reference to a post which was deleted because it made reference to a deleted post. hmm

And I haven't sent any PMs or (as far as I know) been sent any.

LauraNorder Tue 09-Feb-21 19:13:17

Not related to you in any way Growstuff, just making it clear that the only pm I have received is a not very nice one from Susiewoozie who apparently objects to pms fling about.
Back to subject, no one else involved.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Feb-21 19:20:33

suziewoozie

Urm your apology hasn’t saved me from accusations by you and Fire. that I was involved in pms flying around. Instead of apologising you might have checked your facts first before calling me out and encouraging at least one other to pile in with you. I know I’m not one of the incrowd and will never get the support you do but I don’t lie, use racist language even unthinkingly, plot vis PMs or post misleading/ inaccurate information. Well I know exactly where I stand and now I await the pile on for not accepting your apology graciously when if you’d just checked your facts, you’d have saved a lot of grief.

sw I know I hurt your feelings.
It’s really not a popularity contest or shouldn’t be!

You are a feisty opponent & give me a good run for my money. I admire your forensic style of posting - it’s superior to mine for sure!

Can’t we just put the spat behind us? I am genuinely sorry.
I don’t know what else to say really.

.... Oh bog off then.

Joke. Joke!
??

JaneJudge Tue 09-Feb-21 19:23:55

I didn't even know there was a PM facility confused

It costs nothing to be kind, does it? I think we all know that people who are desperate, work for low wages. It's a bit of a shame it has been ignorantly turned into 'they avoid tax' - think of all that lost tax. If they are low earners, they wouldn't necessarily be paying it anyway

I sometimes don't feel lucky to be born in the UK but that is soon brought into perspective when I see how little other people have.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Feb-21 19:25:49

I’m glad I don’t do Twitter.
I hear it’s absolutely brutal. I wouldn’t last 5 minutes!!

Regards the OP.
The more I think about this topic the more I don’t think there will ever be a solution. I do hope a way of offering anonymity for vaccines is found though.

I still wonder - would one jab be ‘good enough’? i.e. no follow up, no covert tracing and better than no vaccine at all?

PippaZ Tue 09-Feb-21 19:43:50

GrannyGravy13

PippaZ

Sorry GrannyGravy, I'm giving up. We were probably going off topic anyway so perhaps a thread about our gargantuan tax code - at more than ten million words it is the world’s longest - another day.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 09-Feb-21 19:48:15

GrannyGravy13

PippaZ

Peanuts again. Compare someone’s ISA to say just a minor wealthy person like Rees Mogg who has off shored his many millions thus ensuring that the benefit he receives from living in this country, from the rule of law, security etc is not supported by the tax he would pay if he hadn’t off shored it.

I consider that immoral, particularly when he feels entitled to preach to those of us who pay and have paid every single penny due to the revenue from whatever source.

People like Rees Mogg have no moral or actual stake in this country, when ensuring that it isn’t supported by their due tax.

JaneJudge Tue 09-Feb-21 19:57:26

Jacob Rees-Mogg is insufferable. I always remember this sad

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41264965

GrannyGravy13 Tue 09-Feb-21 20:13:51

Back to topic, let’s hope all people living in the UK get vaccinated when they should. If that means using outreach programmes, then let’s get on with it.

Covid-19 and it’s many variants knows no
boundaries.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Feb-21 20:22:04

Well said GG13 I don’t think any of us can really add to those sentiments.

Thank you everyone for contributing to this thread. It’s been interesting, informative and thankfully didn’t get deleted! (even though I got a -deserved - warning from GNHQ).

??