Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Andrew - it's all gone quiet!

(34 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 08-Feb-21 12:21:20

So, if someone can breathe a sigh of relief with all the news of COVID, and the only news it would sometimes seem, then it's Prince Andrew, as it has all gone quiet with regard to his alleged antics with underage girls. Has he been let off the hook?

Galaxy Tue 09-Feb-21 08:23:35

I think there is no chance that Prince Andrew will give evidence or ever be held liable if he was involved in criminal activity.

Oldwoman70 Tue 09-Feb-21 08:32:36

Due to his avoiding being question by the relevant authorities he has made matters worse as it has led to speculation he has something to hide. He should have met willingly with the investigators and answered their questions.

I don't know whether he was aware of the age of the girls or if they were trafficked - I do think he is vain enough to think girls young enough to be his daughters would be keen to sleep with him

Eloethan Tue 09-Feb-21 09:15:50

Mollygo I don't believe non-royals have amassed hundreds of millions of pounds and various lavish residences courtesy of the British public.

Since it is the British public who fund the royal family, I think it is reasonable to be able to have access to information regarding how much wealth is held and where it is invested. I think it is quite ludicrous to draw a parallel between someone receiving state pension and the wealth enjoyed by the royal family.

Grany Tue 09-Feb-21 10:18:37

Eloethan Well Said I agree

Mollygo Tue 09-Feb-21 14:22:47

Eloethan you’re probably right about the non-royals, but I wouldn’t know.

I wasn’t talking about state pension, I think that was another poster.
My job is paid for by taxpayers. Once it is decided that the use recipients make of taxpayers money should be published, where does it stop?
What would people say if they knew their taxes enabled me to pay £800 per night for a stay in London or that my favourite watch is a BVLGARI Serpenti Spiga?

Eloethan Tue 09-Feb-21 23:38:59

However wealthy you are Mollygo, I doubt that you are in the same realm, wealth wise, as the royal family - and you are employed to do a job which, if you bring your employer into disrepute or you are felt to be no longer capable in your role, or surplus to requirements, you can be dismissed from.

Are you suggesting that every public service worker (most of whom will also be paying taxes and many of whom are providing essential services) should somehow feel beholden to other non-public service workers for their jobs and income? I think it should be borne in mind that people who do not work in public services do use those services, eg for the provision of health, education, justice, maintenance of infrastructure, etc, etc.

If the royal family threw in the towel tomorrow there would no doubt be weeping and wailing from traditionalists but, in reality, what material impact would it have on the lives of the majority of people? The oft cited claim that we would lose tourism is not borne out by various surveys. Tourists to the UK may well visit Buckingham Palace and watch the changing of the guard but their responses indicate that they would still visit if there was no royal family, because we have many other and more popular attractions to offer.

Mollygo Wed 10-Feb-21 00:18:51

Eloethan reply attached.

Daddima Wed 10-Feb-21 17:44:52

Scribbles that looks like an interesting read. Sadly, it’s not in the online library, so I’ll just wait for my next Amazon gift voucher!