Gransnet forums

Chat

You know you're getting old when you're excited by...

(132 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 11-Feb-21 10:44:49

...a new freezer.

I've got one coming on Sunday. I'm so excited which when you think about it is so sad. It's not that our old one broke it's just a bit too small. This one will give me the extra space I need. When I was younger I got excited about Christmas, birthdays, holidays, nights out, nights in, fun things in general. Now it's a freezer hmm

Tizliz Fri 12-Feb-21 10:56:17

A Spirograph. Hope my granddaughter is as excited with it as I was in finding it. Just a shame I can’t be there to show her how good I was at making pictures with it. I am always looking out for little things to amuse her, she is very good at getting on with her school work but it is difficult for an 8 year old to concentrate for long periods .

jaylucy Fri 12-Feb-21 10:56:46

I know just what you mean - after years of putting up with a 2 slice one that used to toast if it felt like it, I now have a 4 slice one that actually matches my new kettle !! Yaaaay!!!

MargaretinNorthant Fri 12-Feb-21 10:56:54

I do Family history, today I was excited by a death certificate!!

Nannina Fri 12-Feb-21 10:58:27

Had my vaccination this week. Community transport vehicle couldn’t get up the hill in the snow and ice. First time out in months AND on the arm of the young driver as I gingerly picked my way to the vehicle. Most excitement in months smile

SillyNanny321 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:00:55

I get excited once a week when my Sainsburys delivery is due! That is the only time I see or talk to anyone during every Lockdown! This week being snowed in was a real bonus! I had tried & failed miserably to get my outward opening front door open. Finally did & tried to shovel some snow off my steps. Should have known I couldnt (disability didnt help) so getting shopping in over went the snow shovel. The lovely Delivery man picked it up & shovelled snow down to the pavement for me. How lovely was he? Something to get excited over for sure! Sad bat me!

GrammaH Fri 12-Feb-21 11:03:48

I get excited about any delivery, whether it's just something mundane like dishwasher tablets or something luxurious like some beautiful new cushions, due any day now. We live down a very long drive with no neighbours, so the chance to say hello to a real person other than GraffaC is too good to miss.

Hilarybee Fri 12-Feb-21 11:07:52

I contribute daily to the Covid Zoe app and I’m excited by the rate that Covid is coming down in my area. I’m also looking forward to filling in the section on the app that asks you to report when you have had a vaccination !

Lupin Fri 12-Feb-21 11:11:30

......my just supplied vitamin D capsules. They came in a dinky little packet through the post.

grannygranby Fri 12-Feb-21 11:11:42

Rat poison not only endangers many other species it causes an agonising slow death. How can that please anyone?

Matelda Fri 12-Feb-21 11:13:57

Every now and then DH and I treat ourselves to a Cote Brasserie meal (Cote at Home). The food is great, but you should see the smart box packaging! It's just like Christmas!! Especially the inflatable wine bottle container!!!

kwest Fri 12-Feb-21 11:16:20

We bought a new freezer at the start of the lock-downs last year. Our son became seriously ill and we have been batch-cooking his meals since August and delivering them via his kitchen window so as not to break any rules. He puts a table under the window and stands at the far end of the kitchen about 20ft. away. He puts them away when his father leaves the window and gets in his car. It has been a life-saver to have the freezer to help in this.

Pat85 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:19:21

Hurrah!! Just had my first covid vaccine too. Amazing!

trisher Fri 12-Feb-21 11:19:52

Getting a coach holiday brochure- I know I'm not going but it's so nice to look at.

Callistemon Fri 12-Feb-21 11:20:14

jaylucy

I know just what you mean - after years of putting up with a 2 slice one that used to toast if it felt like it, I now have a 4 slice one that actually matches my new kettle !! Yaaaay!!!

It looks lovely but I'm not quite as excited as I was, as one side of the toast was brown and the other pale!

DH suggested I sent it back - but I do hate sending things back.

Peasblossom Fri 12-Feb-21 11:21:12

We tried everything grannygraby. Give me an alternative that works and I’ll use it .

LynneH Fri 12-Feb-21 11:22:13

Peasblossom

I think I’ve got one of those random COVID tests just come through the post? That’s exciting.

Usually we leave everything on the mat for three days. Do you think I should open it straightaway?

We always spray our post before opening it. I do think you shouldn’t leave the test on the mat for three days, so maybe a compromise?

nanna8 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:23:28

I had dozens of little squares of material delivered ready to start some patchwork! I just like looking at them. I’m a bit like that with wool,too. Pathetic.

Hellsbelles Fri 12-Feb-21 11:23:39

I ordered a new kitchen compost caddy , and a set of Klippits ( clips for opened packets / freezer etc ) .

miadreamer4 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:24:15

I got excited when I bought a new vacuum cleaner late last year. I was like a child with a new toy.

gulligranny Fri 12-Feb-21 11:28:07

A new set of measuring spoons has set my heart racing - they are magnetic so they stay neatly together, AND they come with a special Leveller!

Alioop Fri 12-Feb-21 11:32:57

I'm getting excited waiting on my new Easter cookie cutters. I make shortbread for friends, they loved the Xmas ones, so there will be loads made for them for Easter now, better than chocolate eggs as they get too many of them anyway.

rowanflower0 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:33:13

Like you Ashcome, I got very emotional yesterday after taking a phone call from the surgery, giving me a vaccine appointment for this afternoon. Good luck. flowers

Cs783 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:35:39

Taking delight in small things is a key to happiness, no? So well done all of us. And so is gratitude so a special thanks to blossoming and the ‘Rubber brooms’ thread. My new rubber broom and brush set do it for me!

cupcake1 Fri 12-Feb-21 11:37:11

A new lampshade that arrived yesterday completing the newly decorated bedroom! I keep walking into the room to admire it. Sad but true!!

claresc0tt Fri 12-Feb-21 11:37:40

My favourite bands performing live would excite me still!