ixion Fri 12-Feb-21 14:41:50

Here's some for starters-
Led Zeppelin at Knebworth
Jethro Tull at the Royal Albert Hall
Hawkwind (Student Union bash)
Pink Floyd at Wembley
And - 50 years on-
The Rolling Stones, 2018!!

Did anyone get to the IOW Festival 1968?
Or any Glastonburys? Do share!!

12Michael Sat 13-Feb-21 12:38:41

Back in the 60`s used to see the multiple group tours at the then Coventry Theatre, including acts like the Who , Small Faces , Amen Corner etc.
In Brum Town Hall in 71 I think Delaney and Bonnie and Fiends, with Eric Clapton and George Harrison .
Star origination for Spastics as it was known at now called Wembley Arena (then Empire Pool) ,Cream , Hendrix etc .
Whilst in 66 we had a xmas do at work on a on site theatre ,and it featured a band called Episode 6 , and local front man Ian Gillan later to become Deep Purple , when in RAF , saw Ambrose slade aka Slade , Black Sabbath, Equals , Desmond Dekker. Also Geno Washington also seen at Wembley .
Stage wise 4 Tops Brum Hippodrome , Stevie Wonder at Wolves Gaumont , Booker T and MGs at Brum Odeon .
Ben E King at Crewe Up the Junction night club
Met Howlin Wolf and John Dummer Band outside Club Lafayette in Wolves , also John Peel outside same
Dannie Lane IOW in Sandown
I could go on .
Mick

monk08 Sat 13-Feb-21 12:51:52

12Michael my husband did the spotlights for the Delaney Bonnie and friends.

Lyndylou Sat 13-Feb-21 12:57:10

I was at the Isle of Wight in 1969 so I guess I can say I saw Bob Dylan but I don't remember much of the performance. Around that time I also saw The Hollies, Chicken Shack and PP Arnold at local discos

In the last 30 years since I have been back in the UK I have been to loads of gigs mainly with my DD.

Bruce Springsteen (7 times)
Rolling Stones (twice)
Hollies (again)
Peter Green ( once with John Mayall and once with Splinter Group)
Colin Blundstone
Van Morrison
Bryan Adams
Meat Loaf (3 times)
Spencer Davis
Take That (supervising 12 year old DD)

Also been with OH to see his favourites
Joe Bonamassa (twice)
Runrig (4 times)

DD and I presently have tickets for The Who, was originally 25.03.20 now 15.03.21, but I am not holding my breath!

Kate1949 Sat 13-Feb-21 12:58:35

More keep popping into my head
Lulu
Alison Moyet
Don McLean
Screaming Lord Sutch grin
The Fourmost
The Spinners in our folk phase!
The Fisherman's Friends on the beach in Port Isaac.
The Hollies
The Searchers
PJ Proby
The Pretty Things

Happyme Sat 13-Feb-21 13:03:53

Ooh I am so jealous of your impressive list NotAGran and your husband Santana, I would have loved to see Cream at the Albert Hall. I have watched a recording of their concert and think they were actually better than when younger....never really liked them when I was young but guess tastes change. I was a massive Beatles fan but prefer the Stones music from that era now.
And thank you Baubles forgot I had seen Free and yes, Paul Kossoff was gorgeous. So sad, victim of the times.

ixion Sat 13-Feb-21 13:22:50

Have your children/grandchildren shared in your love for these singers/bands?

Kate1949 Sat 13-Feb-21 13:24:24

Well my daughter is well and truly indoctrinated with The Beatles! She had little choice growing up.

12Michael Sat 13-Feb-21 13:38:19

I must add the Monkees at Wembley with Lulu , I went on a local trip to the show ,and we were seated behind the stage , and to add hard to hear singing thanks to the screaming of some of the members of the trip.
During the interval , I had a wonder around the arena or empire pool , I had joined the fan club , which was funny enough Brum based run from an agency in Bristol Street, I travelled up to there , as they were an entertainments agency , got to know the people who ran it , anyway even there a local band know as 123 were about to leave aka Led Zepplin .
Coming back to Wembley during that interval , they spotted me the fan club runners so to speak , asked me would I help selling group photos of the Monkees , anyway recall one young girl , wanted photos but not enough money , so I ended up saying I am not officially involved with stall and past her a photo of the group which she did not pay for .
Mick

Sar53 Sat 13-Feb-21 13:44:11

My daughters, both in their 40s were brought up on 70s rock music. They refer to it as 'Sunday afternoon music'. The three of us have tickets to see Genesis, if the tour ever happens.

paddyanne Sat 13-Feb-21 14:06:44

Far too many to list ,some years we've gone to 18 gigs at Celtic Connections and others throughout the year.
Best was John Martyn in a room with just 50 people months before he died.It was magic .Gone was the beautiful young man I had first seen in the 70's but he was still a talent that held the room enthralled.
Worst was Van Morrison ,much as I enjoy his music he shouldn't face an audience.. ever...theres no connection from him and he left early.
The one I see most often is Eric Bibb ,every gig is an emotionally uplifting experience ,we've seen him 24 times and loved every single one .
First one we took our daughter to was Stevie Wonder now he HAS got a great rapport with his audience.
Last one we saw was Keb Mo ,just before the first lockdown ,what a fantastic performer .
Baubles You've been to loads that I was at too .
I like finding new acts ,we saw Jack Savoretti at King Tuts before he was famous and Rodrigeuz and Gabrielle in the same place .King Tuts is one of my favourite venues,another is the Queens Hall in Edinburgh .I dont like the stadium or massive Arena ones where the artist is half a mile away .
Looking forward to getting back to live music soon .

Kate1949 Sat 13-Feb-21 14:33:12

paddyanne My husband said exactly the same about Van Morrison. He said Bob Dylan was a bit like that too.

NannyJan53 Sat 13-Feb-21 14:34:56

Over the last 9 or 10 years we have seen so many fantastic acts.

Paloma Faith, Deacon Blue, Steve Hackett, Kaiser Chiefs, Mumford and Sons, Stereophonics, George Ezra, Ray Davies, Lighthouse Family, Van Morrison to name a few.

Van Morrison was strange, came on sang his set and left, no rapport with audience at all. Didn't realise he had finished for quite a while.

Never been to Glastonbury, but we do go every August to Glastonbury Extravaganza run by Michael Eavis, in the grounds of Glastonbury Abbey. Looking forward to going again, but doubt it will be this year now.

baubles Sat 13-Feb-21 16:18:50

Notagran I sat on the floor at the feet of Paul Kossoff, gazing at him adoringly, in a small venue in Glasgow. A friend of my brother had a job reviewing gigs for one of the local newspapers and took me and my friend along. Lucky me. smile

We may well have bumped into each other Paddyanne. You’ve reminded me about Van Morrison and I completely agree, there was absolutely no connection with the audience.

Billy Joel - forgot about him! I saw him alone and also with Elton John.

NotAGran55 Sat 13-Feb-21 16:41:56

Happyme I was sadly too young to be at the Cream final gig in 1968 and had to make do with the reunited gigs smile I would love to have been born 5 years earlier and would have seen Hendrix too .

The last gig I went to just before lockdown was the Ginger Baker charity tribute gig .
Awesome night at the ‘Hammersmith Odeon’ and I had seen all the musicians before except Nile Rodgers and Kofi Baker .

A few more have come to mind .
Peter Frampton ( swoon ) , Radiohead , The Commodores , Lionel Richie , Gonzalez.

Roger Waters performing The Wall in Berlin just after the wall had come down . A very eventful trip including getting stuck in a lift for an hour and fainting at the gig due to hunger .

Willow500 Sat 13-Feb-21 16:50:25

Gosh far too many to remember over all the years and festivals I've been to but here's a few main gigs

Back in the 60's
The Move
Amen Corner
Free

In later years in no particular order as they say

INXS several times
Queen at Knebworth
Beach Boys
Tina Turner
Micheal Jackson
Take That
Bryan Adams
Rod Stewart
Fall Out Boy several times
Shinedown ditto
Foo Fighters again several times
Aerosmith x 5
Black Sabbath
Slayer
Machinehead
Placebo
Kings of Leon
Kasabian
Alter Bridge 4 or 5 times
Bullet for my Valentine
Guns n Roses
Will Young
Linkin Park
Muse about 3 times
Robbie Williams

The list is endless but can't think of the others. Sadly doubt I'll get to see many now we've moved sad