Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday ( Shrove Tuesday)

(69 Posts)
12Michael Tue 16-Feb-21 06:08:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but its dry outside with a little bit of wind, here in Brackley .
Today , under normal circumstances, I would have done my bus trips to Bicester and Buckingham , returning to Buckingham from Bicester and going into a cafe I have been a regular customer usually for a coffee but on shrove Tuesday , they did home made pancakes .
But I will have to cheat today with some ready made ones from the supermarket.
Take Care,
Mick

Scentia Tue 16-Feb-21 06:16:14

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is still dark and wet ☔️
At work extra early today to get caught up so I can still have my day off tomorrow.
I realised trust when I was trying to PM Bluebelle it was actually sending and I sent her 15 of the same message?. Sorry Bluebelle
No other plans apart from work today.
Stay safe, dry and warm fellow GMers?

Beechnut Tue 16-Feb-21 06:21:00

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. It’s wet here and likely to be all day.

I’m off for my vaccine today. Urms I find it funny that our birthdays are a day apart, we live nowhere near each other and our vaccinations are a day apart .

I hope you all have a good day and enjoy your pancakes ?

kittylester Tue 16-Feb-21 06:22:20

Good morning Mick, morning all. North Leicestershire is milder but still dark.

I love pancakes and don't know why I don't make them more often.

How did your MOT go yesterday Mick?

A pootling and faffing day for me and burgers from the Burgerologist for dinner.

Take care everyone.

Nannytopsy Tue 16-Feb-21 06:24:20

Good morning Mick & Scentia.
It’s just getting light and so far it is dry but cloudy. So much warmer though.
I have a physio appointment by phone today but otherwise it’s another day of sorting out photographs.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Nannytopsy Tue 16-Feb-21 06:25:03

Morning Beechnut & Kitty !

Sheepandcattle Tue 16-Feb-21 06:42:00

Good morning all from a still-dark and wet Wiltshire. I’m impatiently waiting for it to get light enough to go and check the ewes - I think wet-weather gear will be required but at least it’s not cold .... yesterday I shed 2 of my 6 layers of clothing it was so mild! I could even bend my arms again?!! Yesterday my DH slipped over in the cattle shed when we were ear-tagging some calves. Luckily none of the cows stood on him but he’s sore and bruised but oh dear........ he’s not one to suffer in silence! I am being treated to 5 minute updates on his level of pain and my patience has already run thin! I have all the compassion and patience in the world for a sick animal or child but I’m hopeless at sick husband!! I’m in for a trying time!
Today I need to work through a long, long list of jobs to finish getting the lambing shed ready. I have lists written all over the place as I keep remembering things I still need to do..... I love lists, especially ticking things off. I just need to remember to inform my ewes that they must keep their legs crossed and their lambs in situ until my tick-lists are complete! I did get the most important part of the lambing shed finished yesterday though........ the cake and biscuit cupboard is full so that’s me sorted!?
Wishing you all a happy day ..... I am starting to believe that we may be on the last leg of this battle that we’ve been fighting for the last year so onwards and upwards and we’ll push through!

grandMattie Tue 16-Feb-21 06:42:55

Good morning from a surprisingly light E Kent. Almost daylight; spring is on the way! In about 4 weeks it’ll be the vernal equinox.
Hope you had a better night, Marydoll, and your body is settling down.
Shrove Tuesday! When DC were young/at home, I used to get up extra early and make them pancakes for breakfast, then give them all sorts of pancakes for every meal. The boys especially would go through them like they were going out of fashion. Happy days.
When DGS used to come and stay, he’d have them for breakfast every day. I did spoil him, my lovely child.
Apart from pancakes, today is supermarket day. Yay! ?
Have a good day, everyone. ?☀️☀️

cornergran Tue 16-Feb-21 06:45:29

Morning Mick, morning All. Dark, wet and milder in our corner of Somerset.

Did you get to your MoT, Mick? Goodness scentia, that’s an early work start. Hope the vaccine reaction is settling marydoll. Two unexpected and very welcome phone calls yesterday interrupted me doing not very much. Made for a pleasant day. Mr C’s bread was excellent, he enjoyed making it, result!

GP is phoning at 8.30 then I plan to tackle some loft re-arranging. Bought new soft zip up storage bags weeks ago, too cold up there until now. The loft is my domain, strangely I enjoy sorting and tidying up there and foresee a trip to the tip tomorrow. There will be pancakes here later, lemon and sugar for us.

Take care everyone, hope Tuesday is a gentle day for us all. Special thoughts for those with health and other worries.

Sar53 Tue 16-Feb-21 06:47:27

Good morning everyone from Essex by the sea, it's still dark here but milder.
DH had his jab yesterday, he was there and back in 30 minutes, no side effects, but then according to him it's all a case of mind over matter.
I'm having mine this morning but have to travel to a different venue.
No other plans today apart from pancakes at lunchtime.
DD2 thinks that some of the stitching from her recent operation is infected. It will mean another trip to London and another course of antibiotics, poor love.
I hope Mary is feeling better today and anyone else who is under the weather or feeling sad ?.
Take care and stay safe everyone xx

Bellasnana Tue 16-Feb-21 06:49:35

Good morning from a sunny but cold Malta.

I’m watching the tennis but I really need to go out today as I’ve run out of a few things I need.

The more I stay in the less I feel like going out. Daft I know.

Have a good day all and enjoy your pancakes if you are having them. ☀️

cornergran Tue 16-Feb-21 06:51:09

Hope your husband’s bulletins will reduce today sheepandcattle and marital harmony be restored. I do enjoy your daily bulletins, reminds me of early days, my father was a farm worker, one of my first memories is of being in a cow shed at milking time.

NotAGran55 Tue 16-Feb-21 06:52:36

Good morning from West Berkshire where it is going to be mild and wet today .

Exciting day ahead cleaning the house with my new steam cleaner!

My son is going to make pancakes tonight, I had forgotten and he reminded us yesterday. We have one lemon ? in stock, a few frozen cherries and half a pot of cream so will be able to scrape it together. I only shop once a week and we get by if anything is missing.

Had my NHS letter yesterday and booked my jab at a local pharmacy for Friday morning. I missed a call from my surgery last Thursday that was inviting me for a last minute one the following day , so I have delayed myself by a week .

Take care one and all . Thinking of those with trials and tribulations in their lives , which is probably all of us in different ways if only we knew it .

BlueBelle Tue 16-Feb-21 07:04:57

Good morning everyone it doesn’t feel so cold but is very dark

Scentia I haven’t received any messages from you I don’t think the pms are working

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 16-Feb-21 07:13:07

Good morning everyone from a much milder but from the sounds of it rainy Dorset.!
My mum used to love Shrove Tuesday and always made pancakes with sugar and lemon.
I must admit they are not my favourite things! American pancakes with bacon and maple syrup however are a thing of joy!
Hope everyone has a happy and peaceful day?

Dwmxwg Tue 16-Feb-21 07:14:43

Good morning from north Surrey. We are forecast a rainy day but will brave a walk at Virginia Water with the dog and DGSs. The boys were the first ones awake this morning and are now running around the house playing their favourite game Among Us (it is a computer game but they also play a “real” version).
Pancakes for breakfast here too this morning.
Visited mum and dad yesterday. Went for a short walk with mum and saw a lovely display of snowdrops in the local churchyard. It felt very mild and the few people we passed were smiley and chatty.
After 6 weeks of taking up my dining table I finally finished my 4000 piece jigsaw, despite being new there are 2 pieces missing. It has been a marathon, and like a marathon the last few hundred pieces were the hardest, but it has kept me occupied.
Wishing all a good day, *Marydoll” hope you are feeling a bit better

Ashcombe Tue 16-Feb-21 07:15:19

Good morning, Mick and the early risers from a soggy but mild Torbay (10 degrees!)

I hope your health check was useful, Mick and you enjoy the pancakes. Glad you’re having your vaccination today, Beechnut and I hope any queuing is inside where it’s dry! I trust that Marydoll is over the worst of the side effects. Thinking of sheepandcattle and in awe of your energy!

Thank you for the warm and supportive comments yesterday about my flowers and my situation with the enforced separation from DH at present. Yes, we miss being together and I do indeed love being at his home in the better weather when I make the most of relaxing on the terrasse (under the porch) and al fresco dining.

To clarify our arrangement, when we first became an official item, it was by mutual agreement that we maintained our own homes in separate countries. DH still had his late wife's horses, and more recently for a brief period, an adorable donkey plus three cats and an acre of land. He loves the French way of life and his home (complete with model railway barn!) with its proximity to Le Mans and the motor racing.

I have my amdram company membership, church life and family in the Midlands. Much as I love visiting France, I wouldn’t want to live there full time and certainly not if widowed. We never planned to live together although have taken care of each other during health crises (his enlarged prostate then my hip replacement).

Prior to the pandemic, we would spend many weeks in each other's company, sometimes travelling to and fro together. I’ve learned to enjoy Le Mans 24 and he has trained as a Front of House manager with Toads Theatre Company.

We’d expected Brexit to create issues with our easy border crossings but that rather pales into insignificance by comparison with the disruption brought by Covid-19! But it won’t be forever and we chose this “semi-detached marriage” as my priest calls it!

Sorry for rambling but I do appreciate the support of the kind folk here and felt you deserved an explanation. Gransnet, especially this thread, has been a lifeline for me, for which I thank you.

Have a good day, everyone and thank you. ?

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 07:25:55

Good morning all from a wet S Hants, think it’s set for the day. sheepandcattle hope you can shed another layer under your wet weather gear and your lists get ticked. Mick what happened with your GP review? Hopefully some guidance. Scentia at least you’re not so cold in the early hours as the last weeks. I eventually tracked down some seed compost yesterday, it was hard work though, but it gave the car a run, furthest I’ve been for ages. I’m debating nipping up to the farm shop in the next hour while it’s quiet. Marydoll hopefully your vaccination reaction is settling down and you had a restful night. Missed EllanV yesterday. No real plans today. Enjoy pancakes those who are making/eating them today. Thoughts with those who are poorly, sad or just plain fed up. Have a gentle day all.

Pantglas2 Tue 16-Feb-21 07:26:31

Morning all from a dry north Wales where I’m lolling abed awaiting the ☕️ from DH who’s gotten up early to crack on with the tiling of the kitchen floor - wot a ⭐️!

He’s finished the mosaic wall tiles and I’m impatiently awaiting delivery of a shiny new whistling kettle and bread bin to complete my new look domestic goddessing stage - I’m sure pancakes will be on the performance schedule sometime this week.....?!

Good news about little Iris - wot a brave girl! And more ? being delivered- we’ve done a quarter of our population here in little Wales!

Stay safe everyone x

Grandmabatty Tue 16-Feb-21 07:48:42

Good morning all. Dry and semi cloudy in Polmont. There are still a couple of snow heaps but it's mostly gone, thank goodness. I'm going to make pancakes later as it's a babysitting day. His mum wants to make him pancakes for dinner so I won't do the big American style ones for breakfast. Nothing planned for today. It seems to be my mantra. We'll go out for a walk and play inside too. And there's the excitement of the fish man so fish pie for dinner. A quiet, undemanding life. Have a good day all.

brook2704 Tue 16-Feb-21 07:57:39

Good morning everyone from Inverness where the snow and ice has almost gone and I’m beginning to see the garden again - I can’t wait to get out there with my spade and fork and see what’s happening after weeks of lying under snow.
Sorry to hear about your DH slipping in the barn sheepandcattle I hope he’s better soon. I also took a tumble on the ice yesterday, I can’t believe I did that after weeks of being so careful it had to happen on the very last day of ice! Anyhow not too much damage thank goodness, just a very sore bum and a bruised arm. DH working wonders with lots of cups of tea, bless. So today will be a rest and recovery day, I’ll have a lie in this morning and then look for a film to watch this afternoon ?
Ashcombe good on you for having a different type of living arrangement that work for you both. I hope you both get together soon ?
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles today, take care all whatever the day brings ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:00:22

Good morning Mick and all

It’s definitely milder outside, if it brightens up will put the 1yr old in the pram and go for a nice walk.

Hope your jab goes well Sar53 and that your side effects have calmed down Marydoll

Ashcombe there have been times over this last year that a semi-detached marriage has appealed to me!

Have I missed posts from EllanVannin the last couple of days? I know she was worried because she was on her last life with GNHQ.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Beauregard Tue 16-Feb-21 08:00:34

Good morning all from a wet Derbyshire. I'm feeling more upbeat today after a good, self inflicted kick up the backside yesterday, after which I buckled down to the housework and felt better for it.

There will be pancakes here today too. Golden syrup is my favourite topping...or is it nutella hmm There are oranges and lemons to hand in case I decide to go for damage limitation.

Hope everyone is feeling well and today is kind to all.

Pittcity Tue 16-Feb-21 08:01:01

Good morning from a grey skied Colchester. It's above freezing...hooray! Usual damp February weather.
Didn't get to Lidl yesterday so will go today. DH is collecting a new laptop, so much of the day will be spent with him getting frustrated and me telling him which button to press.
I'm not keen on pancakes so will buy some ready made ones for DH and DS.

grandMattie Tue 16-Feb-21 08:02:52

I’m not making them this year, but does/did anyone make Staffordshire oatcakes (aka pancakes)? They’re a yeasted batter and delicious with savoury foods esp. smoked fish.