Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday ( Shrove Tuesday)

(70 Posts)
12Michael Tue 16-Feb-21 06:08:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but its dry outside with a little bit of wind, here in Brackley .
Today , under normal circumstances, I would have done my bus trips to Bicester and Buckingham , returning to Buckingham from Bicester and going into a cafe I have been a regular customer usually for a coffee but on shrove Tuesday , they did home made pancakes .
But I will have to cheat today with some ready made ones from the supermarket.
Take Care,
Mick

Gingster Tue 16-Feb-21 08:02:57

Good morning all from a grey Essex. So much milder this week.

Sheep thank goodness your DH didn’t get trampled on. They do like lots of sympathy don’t they ! Good luck with with your tick list today. Im with you in spirit giving you a virtual helping hand✋.

Ashcombe so interesting to hear of your way of life. You have made a tricky situation work well for both of you. Just this darned Virus getting in the way . Hopefully you’ll be together soon. ?.

I had my Zoom Bridge class yesterday and enjoyed seeing all the ’old faces’. I’m playing this afternoon, again on Zoom so looking forward to that. Passes a couple of hours !

Will have pancakes at lunchtime. My preferred type are thin and crispy with just lemon and sugar. DH likes his thicker with butter and syrup. ?. I wouldn’t give you tuppence for savoury or fruit.

Must pop to the greengrocers for fruit/veg .

Have a pleasant pancake cake ?

Gagagran Tue 16-Feb-21 08:16:24

Morning all from a milder (10.8c at 6am) damp south coast.

We have a detached house but a semi-detached garage and our lovely neighbour, who has the other half of the garage asked us if we were interested in replacing the asbestos roof of the garage which is leaking. We knew it needed doing so agreed and he has arranged for a builder to come for a site meeting at 11am. DH is concerned that it might be breaking lock down rules but as we are allowed to have workmen indoors I hope I am right in saying that it will be fine outdoors. He will wear his mask and keep a distance between him and the builder and neighbour.

So we have something on the agenda today along with pancakes (sugar and lemon here) at lunchtime. Our DGS holds the family record for the number eaten at one sitting - 15! He has hollow legs and has shot up to 6ft 3" at 15 years old. I dread to think what 15 pancakes would do to my physique!

Hope Marydoll is feeling better and all those with worries of any kind have a peaceful, better day too.

I am loving your "life on the farm" "sheepandcattle". My Dad was born and brought up on a farm and used to take the milk round in churns in a horse and cart.

Lins1066 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:18:24

Good morning from a grey S Welsh coast.
A Sainsbury's delivery shortly, then the fish man at lunchtime, the sword fish steaks last week were delish. At some point we intend taking flowers to family graves, it would been my father's birthday on Thursday. I will make pancakes later we like them with currants, lemon and sugar, Mr L with maple syrup as well.
Best wishes to EV, Cherry, Marydoll, take care everyone.

baubles Tue 16-Feb-21 08:19:15

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire. It’s so much milder today, the ground is wet but no rain at the moment. I too shed a layer yesterday sheep. One of my waterproof coats has a removable quilted lining so that came out, I hate being cold so I won’t put it away just yet. Hope your DH’s aches and pains ease soon.

I’d forgotten that today is Shrove Tuesday, I’ll do pancakes for lunch I think. Sugar and lemon for us and I’ll scoff the first one which is always a bit odd.

Other than that I will walk the pooch, knit my hat, and remember that we are another day closer to better times.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.

NannyJan53 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:26:15

Good morning from a dull and grey Black Country. At least it is not bone chillingly cold now.

No real plans today, we may make a start on painting the woodwork in the Living room, but tomorrow is another day smile. We are still deciding on a colour scheme, and trying to choose a new sofa, and carpet! Until retail is open there is no rush.

I may take a walk to find exactly where the Spiritulist Church is, as that is where our Surgery are doing the vaccinations. I have my mobile phone by me at all times waiting for the call!

Had a bit of a drama yesterday. Our house faces the road opposite which is on a hill. I was in the Kitchen, MrJan was in the bedroom, when I heard him rushing downstairs shouting about a pushchair! A toddler was hurtling down the road in the pushchair, crossed over our road, and hit our house wall!! How it avoided both cars I will never know, as the gap between them was very narrow. I came outside to the Mum comforting her son, who luckily was just shocked and unhurt. I am just relieved he was ok...phew! It doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened if a car was driving along our road at the time!

Sheep, it makes me tired reading obout your life on the farm. I am glad your DH is ok. Ashcombe I hope it isn't too much longer when you can be with your DH and you will be relaxing on the porch by early summer.

Hoping Marydoll feels much better today

grannysyb Tue 16-Feb-21 08:28:02

Goid morning all, looks a bit damp outside. I got up at 7 which is early for me, woken by snoring! I've had my breakfast and when he vacates the bedroom I will get going! Supermarket this morning and goats cheese salad tonight followed by pancakes, DH loves them and I'm quite partial. Hope sheepandcattles ewes form an orderly queue when giving birth! Marydoll, I hope your vaccine reaction is calming down.

Stilllearning Tue 16-Feb-21 08:33:41

Morning from S Lanarkshire, it looks calm out this morning, just a quick post today as it’s my zoom book club this morning. This demands a blow dry hair do! Also a smart top, what excitement!
They’re a lovely group of people and I wouldn’t have got to know them if it hadn’t been for lockdown so a little positive from this strange life.
I won’t make pancakes just for myself but will have my usual coffee and crumpet after the meeting. I have discovered we are not alone on this thread in our love of crumpets, my daughter says all her friends are making them, she says crumpets are the new banana bread!
Wishing everyone a good day.

BlueSapphire Tue 16-Feb-21 08:36:08

Good morning everyone from a very wet Northampton; it is pouring with rain here, so no going out today. I had a nice sunshiny walk to the postbox yesterday to send my old driving licence back to the DVLA, and extended the walk by doing a circular route.

Spent the afternoon at the dining room table sewing the neck band down and the pockets onto my new cardigan. It now needs a good press with damp tea-towels or 'blocking out'. Not sure that I like the way the neck band goes but it might be better after a press. At least it will do for an extra layer around the house, as my old cardigan is falling to bits. Started a new sweater last night. I now feel lost without some knitting to hand.

Shall make pancakes later on, with sugar and lemon and a large Bolognese for dinner with enough left over to freeze.

Take care and stay safe everyone; hope all the vaccinations go well.

Georgesgran Tue 16-Feb-21 08:36:49

Good morning from Durham. The lying snow has finally gone. I haven’t posted for a while, as my DH is ill and things are difficult and will only get worse. I wanted to thank the wonderful caring GNs who have sent PMs or mentioned me in their GM posts. GP will phone today - I expect this will become routine - re carers etc, which aren’t yet needed.
DH had his jab and mine is Thursday - a reason to go out - otherwise I haven’t been over the doorstep for days. We are to see DH’s Consultant again tomorrow, but we’ve already had ‘the prognosis’ so really not sure why.

Take care everyone. X

Hope marydoll posts soon and is feeling better. Mick - did you get your MOT? I hope your Surgery re-inforced what the GNs say? You’re vulnerable and need to stay inside, especially in cold weather. Have you thought about a shopping trolley - you could buy enough to keep you going, so you don’t have to go out so often? It’s obvious lots of GNs worry about you.

Georgesgran Tue 16-Feb-21 08:40:46

Last sentence lost!

Take care everyone. X

Sparklefizz Tue 16-Feb-21 08:41:00

Good Morning Mick and all GNs from a mild and wet South Glos. I have more WiFi problems this morning so will come back later to read everyone's posts and catch up. x

NannyJan53 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:41:23

Georgesgran flowers

Grannyme6 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:41:45

Good morning from mid-Essex.
Enjoyed a long walk yesterday in the milder weather after days staying in to avoid the ice.
Quiet day today, apart from a supermarket delivery at lunchtime, oh and pancakes with lemon and sugar later.
Wishing everyone a good day.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 16-Feb-21 08:48:15

Georgesgran sorry to hear your DH is so poorly, please take care of yourself thanks

Forsythia Tue 16-Feb-21 08:51:04

Good morning from Surrey, I’m a new poster here.
Pouring with rain and very grey outside here today. No walks for us. Our cat has been in a fight so woke up to see him with a nasty deep scratch on his nose looking very sorry for himself. He will use his cat flap at night and this is what happens.
Pancakes with lemon and sugar for us later.
Wishing everyone a safe day whatever you do.

Alygran Tue 16-Feb-21 08:53:07

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s much milder again today. I am off to the arboretum this morning to see the snowdrops. No pancakes here. I can’t be bothered just for me. Chilli for dinner.
Georgesgran my thoughts are with you. Your consultant and their team may put you in touch with the support agencies. I found the MacMillan and nursing staff were so helpful sorting out care when we needed it. flowers
Our local vaccination centre isn’t on the booking list so I’ll have to wait for the GP to contact me.
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

Marydoll Tue 16-Feb-21 08:53:28

Good morning all, from a milder Glasgow, it's 8 degrees here. This is my second attempt at posting. I have tablet issues and shall have to call in the techies. Oh, I forgot, that's me! grin
You will be pleased to know this post will be much shorter than the original one!

I panicked this morning, when I couldn't find the thread. I know I'm losing the plot.. You know what a fertile imagination I have, so I immediately assumed you were unwell again Mick, either having failed your MOT or were back in hospital. Glad to see you posting, but still concerned you are not looking after yourself properly.

Ashcome, what a lovely story about you and your husband. Seems to me you have the best of both worlds, but you must be missing your husband badly. Hopefully not too long now.

My magic prescription from my GP has helped settle things down a bit and enabled me to make it to my hospital appointment yesterday afternoon.
I'm embarrassed to say that I became quite tearful yesterday, when speaking to him. I had basically had enough of ill health and scares. However, here I am, almost bouncing back as usual!! wink

He did tell me that a few critically vulnerable patients on similar medication had experienced the same reaction, as did my rheumatologist later on in the day. However, they did stress that I should have the next dose, regardless of how ill I felt after it. Of course I will be having it. I'm a glutton for punishment! grin

Our trip to the hospital was a bit problematic, as there had been a burst water main near the hospital at the weekend.
We made a detour via the university, but what a shock. It's over a year since I have been up that way and I couldn't believe the change. There were new buildings on every piece of spare ground and many of the quirky shops in Byres Road seemed to have been replaced with estate agents. I was so disappointed, as DD and I love to go for there for lunch and just wander about. sad

I shall be making the Scottish version of pancakes, what other kind is there? Spicy meatballs on the menu for DH, his favourite. I am not being a loving and caring wife, but took the lamb mince out of the freezer to look for something, then didn't have the energy to force it back in! grin

We have a few missing posters and I hope they are OK. Unfortunately any mention of names seems to result in deletions. I know of at least one, who is taking a break for a few weeks. sad

Thank you all for all your kind wishes, but there are also many on here who suffer privately and don't complain. Warm, healing vibes and thoughts go to all of you. flowers

Gingster Tue 16-Feb-21 08:53:47

Bluesaphire your ‘damp tea-towels reminds me of a funny experience I had a few years ago. I had applied to work as an teachers assistant in a school for the deaf, after completing my sign language qualifications. The Head phoned me saying I had been successful. Yay! She told me to come in the following day with some ‘damp Tea-towels’. I asked her to repeat and again she said ‘damp tea-towels. ‘. Not wanting to appear dim I said ‘Ok’. I came off the phone and spent the rest of the day thinking what the heck do I need damp tea towels for ?. As I went to bed that night - light bulb moment ?. I had missheard her saying BANK DETAILS!

Anniebach Tue 16-Feb-21 08:54:07

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

harrigran Tue 16-Feb-21 09:04:58

Good morning from the NE where the snow is all gone now.
My sister rang last night to say she has been able to book a vaccination for 8th March and said she was to have the one that worked, not the UK one hmm Has she been listening to the false stories in her Eu country ? More worrying is the fact that she felt she would be able to travel to the UK and mix with us.
My thoughts are with you Georgesgran, I understand how you feel.

Pittcity Tue 16-Feb-21 09:05:39

I have seen that PMs are still being received and sent, there are just no emails informing us. I found mine in the INBOX at the top of the page and ended up sending a dozen the same in reply as there is no acknowledgement that they've been sent. I have been able to delete the excess from the SENT box.

Marydoll Tue 16-Feb-21 09:11:06

As far as I know, you can receive and raed PMs, but can't respond using the reply box. I received eight identical ones, so so something is amiss.
As it is a free site, we can't really make a fuss, can we? I sent Dantech a screenshot of the script, in the hope he can spot the coding error.

Susan56 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:12:17

Good morning from Shropshire.Dry at the moment but rain forecast for later.

Another day with nothing much planned.DH is making plans for the garden so as soon as the weather improves that’s where he will be.We have also made plans for our road trip round Wales when we are allowed out!Lots of plans being made but not much going on day to day!

I have attached a photo taken a couple of months ago of our grandson on their dairy farm.Thought sheep and cattle may like it.He loves the cows so much???

Georgesgran?

Thinking of Cherry,Ellan, dragonfly?Also Auntieflo and everyone else with illness and worries.Mary, glad the medication has improved things,

Have a good day all.

Susan56 Tue 16-Feb-21 09:13:35

Hopefully photo is attached now!

hulahoop Tue 16-Feb-21 09:19:47

Good morning from West York's it's a damp one here,no pancakes for me I have never liked them I will make oh some of he wants them.
?to George's gran after yourself .
Marydoll hope your jab symptoms soon disappear .