Gransnet forums

Chat

Boring question, how do you like your bananas. Yellow or Green?

(35 Posts)
Jen65 Sat 20-Feb-21 15:22:52

Mine have to be yellow before I even think about eating them. I spend at least 2 minutes browsing the bananas in Tesco looking for the yellowest ones.

nanna8 Sun 21-Feb-21 09:30:54

Yellow but if they go too brown they make wonderful banana bread, the flavour is better. Never tried boiling them but maybe that is a different variety. We get lady fingers and ordinary ones here in Australia ,the lady fingers are smaller and sweeter and more expensive. They grow up in Queensland, we don’t import any as far as I know.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 09:40:11

Urmstongran

You’re right - it is a boring question.
?

Well two points
Yes it’s boring - how lovely - yellow btw
Move it to arguments thread and see what happens
?

Urmstongran Sun 21-Feb-21 10:36:54

I need to gird my loins first.
?

flump Sun 21-Feb-21 12:31:19

When your bananas have just reached your preferred ripeness, put them in the fridge. They will last longer. The skins will develop brown spots but, when peeled, the insides will still be clear and not mushy. There are exceptions, of course, and you cannot leave them for weeks on end but, in general, this helps.

Rufus2 Sun 21-Feb-21 13:25:25

They grow up in Queensland
nanna8 Did you know that Queensland bananas grow naturally straight, but there's a whole army of workers correcting them; that's why Queenslanders are affectionately known as "Banana Benders!" grin
OoRoo

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 14:17:43

Having lived in Queensland and grown my own bananas Rufus, I was a rebel with bent bananas. The damned trees are mosquito attracters.
Can’t stomach bananas now.

Rufus2 Mon 22-Feb-21 10:48:51

The damned trees are mosquito attracters
Laura Pause for a moment and read;

Trees!
“They can feel pain, [and] have emotions, such as fear. Trees like to stand close together and cuddle. They love company and like to take things slow,” – these are just a couple of findings by Peter Wohlleben, a German researcher who devoted his work to studying trees.
“There is in fact friendship among trees,” says Wohlleben. “They can form bonds like an old couple, where one looks after the other. Trees have feelings.”

No! That wasn't Spike Milligan! grin

I think you were the problem by being a Mozzie Magnet
Some people attract them; others don't.
My darling Vera was a supa-magnet which resulted in us never being able to hold hands when sitting in the garden by the light of a silvery moon because she needed to slap away squadrons of the blighters; the so-called Aussie salute!
So take care next time you go down to the woods! They're listening! grin
OoRoo

nanna8 Mon 22-Feb-21 11:05:06

I’m a magnet, too. Can’t even go in the backyard without the bushmans in the evening. Saw a lot of skinks running around, maybe they will eat them ? Hope so. I’m growing an avocado next to a cherry tree and they are entwined together. I think they’re in love.

Ro60 Mon 22-Feb-21 11:49:12

Thanks for the fridge tip.
My banana has to be yellow with a slight green tinge down the side
After that they go in my morning smoothie, curry, or bananas & custard with GD.
Recently saw Nigella chop the very brown skin up to go in a curry. Tried it last week - texture similar to aubergine but not so tasty.
Will try once more at some point.