Gransnet forums

Chat

Perfume

(47 Posts)
Odette52 Sun 21-Feb-21 00:56:44

Hello everyone

Seeking suggestions for some new perfume.
I really like VERY strong scent but can’t seem to find any modern perfumes which are ‘heavy’.

Used to drench myself with Ester Lauder Youth Dew by the bucketful?... but the older perfumes seems stale and fusty, to me now.
Thanks ❤️☘️

Erica23 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:13:45

I love perfume. Have you tried Shay and blue. I have their Black tulip it’s not at all flowery, very heavy, think tobacco and chocolate.

Cass64 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:19:14

nanna8

Funny how we all like different ones. I was given a big bottle of Chanel no 5 years ago and I thought it was vile and chucked it out but I know others love it.

I had a bottle years ago when I was quiet young and I loved it until an older workmate of my husbands smelled it on me and asked if I minded while he just sniffed my neck..

He closed his eyes and smiled....I felt so flattered until he said oh that takes me back my mum used to wear it and I always think of her when I smell it...

I dont want to insult anyone but over purfuming always reminds me of elderly incontient ladies I used to care for.

Now when I smell the purfume 100 yards before the person I just wonder what the poor soul is trying to mask.

Shropshirelass Sun 21-Feb-21 10:20:39

I like understated perfumes, I hate it when someone around me is wearing an overpowering perfume. Youth Dew was very popular in the seventies but it was very strong. Nice light perfumes for me. My old boss used to wear lovely fresh perfumes , when she walked through the office you would smell a lovely light fragrance, just there and not attacking your sense of smell or making your eyes water.

FannyCornforth Sun 21-Feb-21 10:22:26

Erica23

I love perfume. Have you tried Shay and blue. I have their Black tulip it’s not at all flowery, very heavy, think tobacco and chocolate.

That sounds lovely. I will give that a try myself! Thank you Erica.

Blondiescot Sun 21-Feb-21 10:24:26

GagaJo

I used to love Tendre Poison. A green smelling scent. It was discontinued a few years ago though.

I like citrus smells, ideally lime, but have never found a perfume I really like again. L'Occitane Verbena is OK but doesn't really completely hit the spot.

Have you had a look at Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria range? It includes some lovely citrussy scents - the Mandarine Basilic is my favourite.

Roses Sun 21-Feb-21 10:39:44

Does anyone remember Maroc? It was a lovely perfume which was discontinued, I managed to buy odd bottles when I was in Florida but then couldn't get it anywhere

Thought I'd found it on the web but when it came it was fake sooooo dissapointed

Nightsky2 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:45:01

Guerlain’s Samsara is a favourite but more suitable for evenings. Also love Channel’s Miss Dior which is fine for day wear and Lancôme’s Miracle is lovely too.
Used to love spraying perfume on those little sample cards in JL, they left my handbags smelling lovely. Strange how you very rarely get samples in this country but shop in Paris for perfumes and you’re automatically given a dozen samples.

Yammy Sun 21-Feb-21 10:46:04

Dior Eau Svelte,I wore it every day for about 16 years until they stopped making it.

Nightsky2 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:49:07

Chanel, smells better than the channel too.

GagaJo Sun 21-Feb-21 10:52:26

Blondiescot, thanks for the recommendation.

Funny story about Youth Dew. It was something my mum used to wear and as a teenager, I liked it. But on me, it always ended up smelling like insect repellant. Eventually, I worked out it was the combination of the perfume with the deodorant I wore.

Jaxjacky Sun 21-Feb-21 11:15:51

I wear Black Opium or Obsession, just a little squirt, I tried some Jo Malone samples, but they faded very quickly. I prefer more pungent smells, always used to wear patchouli and Badedas is my bath/shower gel.

TwiceAsNice Sun 21-Feb-21 11:21:58

I like Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass and M&S Florentyna at the moment. They are not heavy but quite distinct scents.

In the past I have liked Anais Anais by Givenchy, and Arpege by Lanvin. I have never liked Chanel no 5 it smells awful on me .

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:22:46

Don't know if Avon still do 'Topaz' - very popular in the 60s, but where I used to work it was so popular I would feel ill with the stench around the room. Nearly as bad as Muguet de Bois which I used to love until a colleague came into the office absolutely drenched in it. She called it Mugget of boys, I have to admit she had learning disabilities, but it put me right off!!

glammanana Sun 21-Feb-21 11:37:13

Agent Provocateur is my day time choice always use it,a nice light fragrance that lasts.
Coco Chanel perfume & body creme for night time and special occasions I always used No5 but I now prefer Coco it is not too heavy and layered with the body creme lasts so long.

annodomini Sun 21-Feb-21 11:52:26

I don't wear perfume every day but when I do, Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir is a current favourite.

Shinamae Sun 21-Feb-21 11:58:03

Calvin Klein Eternity or anything by Moschino....

SisterAct Sun 21-Feb-21 12:03:23

La Maison Bacaret Rouge 54 is fab.

Biscuitmuncher Sun 21-Feb-21 12:06:45

Youth Dew is my favourite but lately it's been bringing me out in a painful rash. I've got quite a few expensive perfumes but the only ones I get compliments are cheap casheral ones, eden and Lou Lou

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 21-Feb-21 18:48:13

Like you biscuitmuncher I have used a selection of expensive perfumes. The one I received the most compliments was Elizabeth Ardens Red Door. I was given it as a present and I was quite bemused by the fuss people made as to me it didnt really smell of much at all!

Nicegranny Sun 21-Feb-21 19:14:27

Chanel Chance tendre

The only time I wear it recently is to bed. It smells gorgeous and makes me happy. It has become “My” perfume.
I seem to change my main favourite perfume every 10 years or so and always have two or three other’s on the go.

Grandmadinosaur Sun 21-Feb-21 19:21:23

I have a friend who’s signature perfume is Alien by Mugler. I find it rather heavy myself. I prefer Beautiful by Estée Lauder and various Marc Jacobs ones myself.