Gransnet forums

Chat

Power of attorney

(57 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 21-Feb-21 17:22:49

Has anybody gone through this process and is it complicated? I do not have a significant other and I am very aware of dementia as I work in a care home so would like my daughter to have power-of-attorney, I have two sons and a daughter and my daughter lives near St Albans which is quite a way for me in Devon but I think she would be the most suitable to deal with this should the unthinkable happen and I get dementia and cannot make my own decisions. I have made a will which is quite straightforward...

Shinamae Thu 25-Feb-21 10:40:35

I must admit I did ring my solicitor just to find out how much it would cost to register and fill in both parts of the power-of-attorney the financial and the health one and it was going to be nearly £800 so definitely going to do it myself...????

Beechnut Fri 26-Feb-21 09:40:58

Can anyone tell me what happens with PoA should an attorney change their name either through a marriage, divorce or deed poll?

M0nica Fri 26-Feb-21 17:12:26

I do not know, but I would imagine, providing you can produce the evidence that you are the same person (marriage certificate, divorce doumentaion or deed poll certificate) it should be Ok

vegansrock Fri 26-Feb-21 17:35:31

I found using post it notes useful for each page - who had to sign it and witness etc. Just had to do it using the guidance notes,then collect them all up and check. We managed to do 2 lots of with each other and 4 children as attorneys. Saved £££s.

Beechnut Fri 26-Feb-21 17:59:46

Thank you M0nica.

bikergran Fri 26-Feb-21 18:10:50

I'm getting bit peed off with this POA

I have both parts for my dad, at a cost!

But having rung a few places this last week to sort things out (problems) refunds, housing, telphone not working etc etc .

They still insist speaking to my dad before they will let me carry on .

My dad is reasonably capable but can't deal with some things, so not sure how or what your supposed to do in order to use this POW. wondering if you have to notify people? I've no idea but need to find out otherwise what was the point of paying Dick Turpin. hmm