Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(81 Posts)
12Michael Thu 25-Feb-21 06:13:34

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its dry outside this morning in Brackley .
Today at some point I expect to get my chilled meat delivered from Parsley Box, having had a confirmation email .
I also ordered a paperback book yesterday , someone locally has written it as regards to his childhood in the town , the author has also written other hardback books as to the towns history , he now lives away from the area in Fleetwood, but visits the town .
He was a history professor at the University of Buckingham .
Take Care,
Mick

NannyJan53 Thu 25-Feb-21 08:25:13

Good morning from a dull but dry Black Country.

No plans again today, just go with the flow.

DD WhatsApped me a copy of a letter 12 year old DGD's school sent, saying how pleased they were to how she has adapted to home schooling and how she has shown a sustained commitment. smile

Ashcombe I was in B & Q the other day and the Till Operator offered us a loyalty card which you sign up to online, with the words 'do you have a computer'! Erm

Dwm my Mum was 9 when war broke out. She lived in Wolverhampton, but luckily didn't have to be evacuated, in fact they had an evacuee stay with them. Talking about long term memory, my Nan in the last few years of her life (95) could talk all about her memories of her Dad going missing in the 1st World War, and how upset her Mum was. He turned up after 2 years in a prison camp. Ask her what she did yesterday and she didn't have a clue!

Beechnut that was spot on!

Bellasnana flowers I hope today will be much better for you.

Wishing you all a pleasant day and special hugs for all feeling low or struggling

Urmstongran Thu 25-Feb-21 08:28:42

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s a lovely sunny one. The sky is pale blue and pink and I can clearly see the ridge of the Pennines - always a good sign for the day ahead! Funny to think they were snow topped just a couple of weeks ago.

We have absolutely no plan for today so I think a walk with Himself and takeaway coffees would be enjoyable. There’s football on the television tonight for him - Rangers (!) at 6pm and Man. Utd at 8pm. He’s living his best life with all these cups and fixtures!

Hope Thursday is good to us all. You’ve done amazingly well Scentia procuring a new Home in under a week! I agree, definitely weird, tipping all the residents out in such a rushed manner. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

baubles Thu 25-Feb-21 08:28:48

Good morning Mick, morning all from a rather damp South Lanarkshire.

Your book sounds good Mick, enjoy it when it arrives. Love the croci Ashcombe, they are always such a welcome sight in February.

Bellasnana, hopefully you will have a better day today. flowers

I’ve been examining the local ewes on my walks (see how I called them ‘ewes’ not ‘sheep’!) and taking note of the colours on their rumps. I used to think these were identification marks so the farmers knew which farm they belonged to. grin

Good to hear that your DD is doing well Sar.

DD’s fabric dining chairs have not fared well after several years of constant use by four children so I’m going to try to clean them up one by one. They have been languishing in my garage since I took them off her hands when she replaced them with something more practical. I fear it may be a lost cause but I’ll give it a go anyway. That will keep me occupied for a couple of days.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.

Marydoll Thu 25-Feb-21 08:29:27

Good morning all from Glasgow, where it's 6° C, not exactly warm, but the sun is shining through the blinds.

Ashcombe, what a lovely view you have.
My late BIL was very skilled at making dolls houses, Susan, making one for my daughter and just before he died, one for Dollie. It was fabulous!

I don't know where yesterday went, but I still haven't touched the spare room, I'm still feeling under par, since my severe reaction to the vaccine!
However, I lay on the sofa, watched Shakespeare and Hathaway and did a bit of sewing.
I bought a fleecy jacket from White Stuff reduced to £24 in their sale. I really liked it, but the sleeves were very wide and long, cuffed at the wrist, making me look like a cross between a teddy bear and a Michelin man! Rather than return it, I decided to alter it. Last week it was featured on QVC still selling at £74! A bargain indeed! ?

Mick, as part of my Christmas, my daughter gave me two books about Paisley, the town where I was brought up. I was absoluted delighted, as I love looking at old photographs and maps.

A day out for me too today, lots of apprehension excitement. I have a BIG dental appointment, where my dentist will begin to try and work on the damage done to my teeth by my RA during my shielding. I have usually have three monthly check ups, but haven't been since January 2020.☹
The dentist is right beside the old fashioned bakers of the strawberry Danish fiasco and I have a notion this time for potato farls! Well at least they are soft. ? I shall supervise DH from a distance, while he shops! ?

I received yet another hospital appointment yesterday. I have gone from everything in the last year being cancelled and not allowed out, to suddenly being very much in demand.
For me this is a very hopeful sign, as it means the NHS here looks as if it is trying to get back on track.
However, as I am still having to shield, I'm anxious about being near people in medical situations.

Poor DH was quite fearful, as although it is only a telephone appointment in April, it should lead to my Alendronic Acid infusion in the day ward, which is only five minutes from Braehead shopping Centre. (which should be open by then) That of course means he will be doing a fair amount of bag carrying , as I have a load of vouchers, burning ? a hole in my purse! ?

Wishing you all a pleasant day and for those having their vaccine today, I hope it goes well.

Grandmabatty Thu 25-Feb-21 08:35:03

Good morning all. Polmont is damp and it has obviously rained heavily. Sunshine through the clouds at the moment. Cooler today at 6°. Nothing planned again. I'm hoping dd drops in as it would be nice to see her. WhatsApp chat with friends yesterday left me a bit grouchy. They all have partners or live with someone and I don't think they understand what it's like to live alone in a pandemic. I won't fall out over it though. I hope you have a good day.

Gingster Thu 25-Feb-21 08:35:11

Good morning all from a greyish looking sky here in Essex.

I was going to ask you GG if you saw Repair Shop . We had several phone calls telling us to watch it as it is local to us. My DH has a real interest in weather vanes . What was the relevance of it being a cockerel? Do you know? A friend of ours is in the Benfleet Archives Group, so I’ll ask him. I was looking out for familiar faces but didn’t see anyone I knew in the crowd. We’re you there?

Bellasnanna wishing a brighter day for you! ?.

Sar I’m glad your DD is improving. These things take time.

It’s nice to hear of impending holidays, be it this year or next. Lovely to have something on the horizon.

I heard yesterday of a show reopening in July, that we have tickets for. It’s been cancelled three times so fingers crossed it will happen. ?. Mick have you booked anything?

Wishing you all a merry day. ?

Stilllearning Thu 25-Feb-21 08:46:46

Good morning from South Lanarkshire, sky a little brighter towards the north and wind gone so maybe a better day and a walk later.
Lovely picture Ashcombe, a reminder of how much further on growth is in the south of England from up here. I used to love holidays with my navel daughter when she was based in Plymouth and then Portsmouth. I’m very lucky that she now lives near Oban, another very scenic part of the country.
No great plans today, will see what turns up, but sending good wishes to everyone for their days.

granfromafar Thu 25-Feb-21 08:59:34

Good morning from a dry, cloudy west Kent. Don't post on this thread often, but love reading the comments.
Was up early (for us) yesterday as a dishwasher engineer was due to call. Had asked for an afternoon slot, but an email advised he would arrive between 7.30 and 10.30. Typically he turned up at 10.15! Didn't really find any fault with it but did various tests and stated it was working fine again. Time will tell.
Mick's book sounds interesting.
Hope everyone has a good a day as possible.

GrannySomerset Thu 25-Feb-21 09:02:14

Brightish day and certainly warmer with snowdrops fading as daffodils and crocuses take over in the garden, and a pair of blackbirds nest site hunting so a positive start to the day. I have a U3A book group on Zoom this morning discussing Tracey Chevalier’s “A Single Thread” so I had better sort out DH in good time.

Oh Susan, how lovely to be renovating a dolls’ house. You are clever. Hope everyone has a good day.

Anniebach Thu 25-Feb-21 09:02:49

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Mapleleaf Thu 25-Feb-21 09:09:00

Good morning everyone,

Just a quick visit as I’ve got my Pilates class shortly, so will come back later to read all your posts.

The sun is shining this morning, which makes everything seem so much better. Yesterday was rather drab by comparison but at least dry.

Hope you all have the best day you can. Take care ?

Nannytopsy Thu 25-Feb-21 09:10:09

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
Glad to see some of you have sunshine. Suffolk is cloudy today and there may be rain later. If I can get some washing dry on the line before it rains, at least I shall have ironing to do.
We have an extended family get together booked for July in a large garden in the Midlands - I do so hope it comes off! I have booked our hotel but will get a refund if it doesn’t.
Also getting plans made for an outdoor picnic with DD & SiL in April. That would be wonderful.
We will get there!

Grandmafrench Thu 25-Feb-21 09:22:01

Good Morning everyone. Sunny day here in ??. Seems ( led by Blues early catwalk appearance) that lots of you will be going out today. Outdoors is so healing and with a little sunshine thrown in, a great lift to the mood I feel.

Enjoy your tea and have a really Happy Birthday, ??, Mr Corner! Hope you feel more positive and have found your can-do attitude, again corner. Letting your feelings out for an airing = essential.

Horrible story, Scentia - such a sudden shock (and a pretty impossible demand on you both). I was in your situation. Nice Home, nice staff changed to new owner. Mum (and others) being abused...I can still barely talk about it. Home was found out, shut down.....we’d kidnapped Mum and brought her to France, eventually found new, decent place but when she needed more care, she didn’t get it and she was at risk. One day we were told she’d been moved! No consultation, discussion, agreement! Yet another trip to the UK but found it was the best thing ever. Mum finally happy, wonderful staff, kindness and best of all, constant updates, contact, mails, photos, conversation between us all. The nightmare was over! You may find that this move will be just what was needed. Best wishes for your FiL.

Lovely family project, susan. Hope we’ll get a photo. Wishing all the new arrivals at the Wiltshire Woolly Women Maternity Unit a calm and sunny day - and at least 40 winks for Matron!

Hope the day’s a better one for you, Buzz and that bonkers Pup, Bella, and you feel calmer today, ginny. Hope Tesco will have the bunting out, Gaga ? A bit of self control needed whilst shopping, gg - I can hear your purse panicking from here. ? Sorry to hear about more French holiday delays, Sar, but so pleased your DD has good news.

Always thinking and hoping for Georgesgran, Auntieflo and the dear Panaches. You’ll have posted with more ‘antics’ by now, Mary. Don’t forget to get enough rest, please.

I’m about to do a bit of (very light) housework, followed by numerous hyacinth-sniffing, bird-watching, weed-pulling, pot-polishing, gravel-raking, plant-pruning, coffee-drinking hours in the garden....where the ironing cannot reach me!

Have the best of days, everyone. Keep going, keep safe, keep smiling.

Hugs, ???‍♀️??

annsixty Thu 25-Feb-21 09:28:40

Good morning all.
We woke to a very bright morning but it has now slightly clouded over, still mild though.
A comparatively busy day for a change, a very big change!
The cleaner is coming at 11, I have someone coming to measure up for a new garden gate and a Sainsbury’s delivery between 4&5.
The excitement may prove too much.
My friend took me to Simply food yesterday, it is only 5 mins in the car, which now makes it 3 times I have shopped after 11 months in the wilderness.
I go out for a meal with her once a month in normal times, we shall be making it more frequently when we can to make up for lost time.
Have the best day you can everyone.

aggie Thu 25-Feb-21 09:37:55

Good Morning all, it’s a beautiful sunny ☀️ morning here and I am still in my pjs! Saving my energy for an outing this afternoon ,
DD has an appointment so I am going along for the ride . I’ll take my iPad and sit in the car reading if the view isn’t interesting , but hoping for a bit of people watching !

EkwaNimitee Thu 25-Feb-21 09:44:17

Good morning Mick and All from a sunny mild Cumbrian coast. It's very welcome after another grey rainy day yesterday. I had my face to face with the doctor yesterday and at the end commented that I guessed it would still be a long time before we went back to regular face to faces instead of the telephone . 'If ever' she replied . Depressing. The docs are no happier than we are about that I think, probably even less so.
I can't waste this day shut indoors so maybe a potter in the garden or some exercise for the car. I'd really like to see some actual lambs, nice as it is to view Sheeps photos. It's probably too early for us here though.
The best possible day to you all.

Nannagarra Thu 25-Feb-21 09:47:41

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it is mild and the sun is shining.
Our aim is to return to a family-run hotel in Devon which wouldn’t be amiss in an Agatha Christie novel. We absolutely love it.
Many of you seem so positive and patient so I’ll follow you. Have the best day you can. ?

Stilllearning Thu 25-Feb-21 09:57:54

Just caught up with posts and have a painful vision of my ‘navel’ daughter being born through my bellybutton! Blasted predictive text and hurried typing!

Gelisajams Thu 25-Feb-21 09:59:20

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it looks like it will be a very pleasant day for once. Someone has just started a strimmer. I guess it’s the estate management grass cutters. First time this year. Spring must really be here!
I’m not ready to start back gardening. I tell my clients I work between the clocks but if we have an early spring I do sometimes start sooner.
Yesterday I took everything out of my wardrobe in an attempt to tidy, cull and make a bit more space. Unfortunately everything has gone back in. I did ‘find’ two dresses I didn’t know I had and had never been worn, labels still attached. All I need now is a night out!
My heart goes out to Scentia as I had similar problems some years back now. Nightmare doesn’t begin to describe the problems we had.
DH is out running. He says we will go for a short drive and a walk when he gets back.
Take care, stay safe everyone?

Blossoming Thu 25-Feb-21 10:02:50

Good morning all from a mild and sunny Lancashire. I have a few chores to attend to this morning, Mr. B can finish painting the garden workshop, then a post-prandial walk is looking an attractive proposition.

Stay safe all, the end is in sight and we don’t want to slip up now flowers

LauraNorder Thu 25-Feb-21 10:03:18

Good morning all from a beautiful sunny Anglesey, blue skies, daffodils and bird song.
Wising everyone a warm and happy day. Happy birthday MrCorner. Happy hairdo Bellasnana, hope it cheers you.
Thinking of you Georgesgran and all with troubles and worries.

Blossoming Thu 25-Feb-21 10:04:43

Stilllearning

Just caught up with posts and have a painful vision of my ‘navel’ daughter being born through my bellybutton! Blasted predictive text and hurried typing!

When I was 3 years old I was convinced that was how babies got out ?

Beechnut Thu 25-Feb-21 10:09:40

Happy Birthday to MrCorner ??

EllanVannin Thu 25-Feb-21 10:16:26

Good Morning All x
A beautiful Spring like morning which makes me feel like doing something, though feeling like and actually doing are two entirely different things smile

First job of the day was putting away a delivery of about a dozen bags of groceries from Asda. An early drop between 7am and 8am ! Well worth it and I'm impressed at the " long " dates. That made me hungry so the crumpets and hot choc. went down well.

2 weeks ago I was in a bit of a panic when D had rang to say that GS had tested positive for Covid from work which meant that all the family had to isolate and D had been taking me for my big shop---which didn't happen so I'd dithered about getting a delivery as I used up everything from the freezer in the meantime with all kinds of concoctions.

Family are all now okay but I told D to leave it another week before she pays me a visit just to be on the safe side. It'll then be over a month since seeing her. I shall be sticking with home deliveries from now on with the odd jaunt to M&S now and again.

After having bought a practically new pair of Clarks shoes not long ago, for £4.99, I was lucky to also " win " a pair of unworn Hotter shoes also for £4.99---comfortable walking shoes that feel as though you've got slippers on. Now I'll be looking for a new pair of summery shoes, in readiness.

I hope Sheepandcattle has got this lovely weather for all the lambs to frolic about in and that things have calmed down down a bit in the birthing area. Always a sign of Spring when you see the lambs.

Hope everyone is fit and well, or just well will do. I was talking to a neighbour from the next road yesterday who'd said she'd had her second jab last week---3 weeks after the first. Because it was the Pfizer that she'd had I'd said they might have had some over with it not storing well unless it was below a certain temperature. Anyway she was pleased.

I've been watching a few Tripreports on Youtube and enjoyed the travels that this couple take. They are superb video's and on the large screen you feel as though you're there with them. Yesterday it was Koh Samui in Thailand----I " travelled " all the way with them to Bangkok where they changed flights to their home in Denmark. Hooked !

Not long for coffee and croissants ( koff ) now so I'll wish you all a good day, stay safe and love to All. xx

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 25-Feb-21 10:18:37

Good Morning all from sunny Harrogate! Love the quip Beechnut so true
Lucky you living across from such a lovely park Ashcombe
Blossoming when I was four I was convinced the 'new' babies were kept in the hospital basement waiting to be born.
DD was telling me my GD (nearly5) had run up to a lady in a shop, the lady asked her if she liked school - the answer? "No, I only go so as not to upset the teacher!"

Apart from a Sainsburies delivery, nothing particular to do today (bit like every other day)

Keep as well as you can and have the best day possible