Gransnet forums

Chat

Shamima Begum

(118 Posts)
Jaffacake2 Fri 26-Feb-21 18:42:22

Just wondered what others thought about the decision by the Supreme court not to allow this young lady to return to the UK to plead her case for continued British citizenship.
I have mixed feelings as she was an ISIS bride and has previously spoke of her allegiance to their terrorism and barbaric acts. She could be a terrorist threat to this country.
However I also consider that she was 15 years old when she went to Syria. We still don't know definitely if she was groomed or trafficked to go there. I seem to remember some of the stupid decisions I made at 15 !
She then had and lost 3 babies and both her husbands were killed. Such a sad life and now she seems stuck in a refugee camp at 21 years old.
What do others think should happen to her ?

Greyduster Sat 27-Feb-21 09:53:04

Of course she would have to live under surveillance for a long period of time. The security services have so many people under surveillance, both overt and covert, that they are stretched to absolute breaking point. Why should we have to add to that and the expense to the taxpayer which would inevitably be involved. As for her family keeping a watch on her - yeah, right! They did a wonderful job of knowing where she was and what she was up to when she was planning to leave! So no, she shouldn’t be allowed to come back.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Feb-21 09:54:50

I have posted this on the other Begum thread and agree with you franbern

The power this government is using to kick out a British citizen without a fair and transparent trial sets a very dangerous precedent.

The only voice we haven’t heard is Begum’s.

maddyone Sat 27-Feb-21 09:55:05

Whether or not she would be a danger to society if she was allowed to return, my worry is about all the others who have already returned. Some are in prison, but many are walking the streets, just the same as us. In my opinion, they should never have been allowed back. As for her, I’m happy for her to stay where she is.

maddyone Sat 27-Feb-21 09:57:30

The only voice we haven’t heard is Begum’s.

Yes we have. She was interviewed by the British press some months ago, when she made the chilling remarks about beheadings not bothering her. We know what she wants, she wants to return. That’s hearing her voice!

Esspee Sat 27-Feb-21 10:00:05

If she had gone whilst a child, later regretted it, repented and returned home then I would feel sympathy.

That didn’t happen and she is a danger to this country.

I believe the court decision is the right one.

Vickysponge Sat 27-Feb-21 10:02:32

maddyone

^The only voice we haven’t heard is Begum’s.^

Yes we have. She was interviewed by the British press some months ago, when she made the chilling remarks about beheadings not bothering her. We know what she wants, she wants to return. That’s hearing her voice!

Completely agree. She made her feelings perfectly clear when she was interviewed. The right decision has been made. Absolutely no way she should come back.

henetha Sat 27-Feb-21 10:03:55

It was her lack of any remorse during those inteviews which hardened my attitude to her. I agree with the court decision.

Urmstongran Sat 27-Feb-21 10:15:36

I posted this on the other Begum thread...

Shamima Begum has given an interview to the BBC

Asked about the Manchester terror attack in which 22 people were killed she told the BBC broadcaster in an interview: "I do feel that it's wrong that innocent people did get killed.

"It's one thing to kill a soldier that is fighting you; it's self-defence, but to kill women and children..."

Begum said it was "just people like the women and children in Baghuz that are being killed right now unjustly, the bombings.

"So It's a two-way thing really. Because women and children are being killed in Islamic State right now, and it's a kind of retaliation... their justification was it's retaliation so I thought 'OK, that is a fair justification."

No compassion from me. She’s a traitor. She & her legal team can use a video link to support her case. I hope she loses it too.

EllanVannin Sat 27-Feb-21 10:24:40

Well I wouldn't be surprised to see her returned to the UK because as things stand, the law is an ass.

Since the news broke about the man who'd helped Philpott kill 6 children in that house fire is being freed on licence in May after having served 8 years of a 17 year sentence, my confidence in the laws of this country are at an all time low.

I'm left to feel that I don't care any more at what happens, or doesn't, to anyone.

Firecracker123 Sat 27-Feb-21 10:24:49

Perhaps her legal team want her back in the UK so they can start lining their pockets with legal aid cash from soft touch Britain, who is paying her legal fees now?

I have no sympathy for her. If we let her back to fight her case we open the door for others.

Urmstongran Sat 27-Feb-21 10:25:29

2 threads on this waste of space.

One here under ‘Chat’ and the other under ‘News & Politics’.
I think most posters swerve the N&P thread and feel more comfortable under a ‘chat’ heading.

timetogo2016 Sat 27-Feb-21 10:27:28

Agree with Oopsadaisy1.
She is a threat and you can`t un-brainwash someone.
Live by the sword,die by the sword.

NellG Sat 27-Feb-21 10:28:11

This is why juries consist of 12 people, no one is right but there is value in every one's understanding and experience.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 27-Feb-21 10:29:47

I have just finished reading a book called Guest House for Young Widows, among the women of ISIS by Azadeh Moaveni which makes interesting reading into why women joined Isis. Basically most them were groomed, in the case of Shaminama the authorities were well aware of her grooming and also of others. They interviewed her I believe 3 times at her school as they believed she was at risk with grooming, but didn't inform her parents,. They just asked her her to take a letter home, which of course she didn't. She was 15 and as many of you know at a rebellious stage of her life, dreaming of a different life. I totally agree with Grammaretoo and her views there are many more far more dangerous than her. Also if she was white would you think any differently? I believe she was let down by our government and should be allowed back here for her appeal.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 27-Feb-21 10:31:40

I agree with sodapop. I feel heartfelt sorry for the girl, but who knows what is going on in her mind!

Urmstongran Sat 27-Feb-21 10:34:36

Also if she was white would you think any differently?

Nope. I felt exactly the same about that white boy.
? Jhadi John. On the spectrum.

Galaxy Sat 27-Feb-21 10:39:45

I think if you say that children who have been groomed hold responsibility for their actions it sets another very dangerous precedent.

lemsip Sat 27-Feb-21 10:40:13

I was working age 15 and classed as adult!

Ilovecheese Sat 27-Feb-21 11:03:20

If we want to deport foreign criminals, I think we have to take our own criminals back. She is British and should be dealt with in Britain. I don't see it matters how old she is, or why she did what she did, she should be our responsibility, we should not be leaving it to another country to sort her out for us.

Oldwoman70 Sat 27-Feb-21 11:32:04

She may have been a child when she left but her comments during her interview were made as an adult. I believe she would be a threat if she returned to UK.

ISIS has told its followers to return to their home countries and continue the fight - she would have to be watched constantly. Where and how would she live - who would give her a job.

Would those calling for her to be allowed to return be happy for her to live next door and befriend your children and grandchildren, happy for her to wander around your local mall and visit local concert halls and cinemas?

Sarnia Sat 27-Feb-21 11:52:33

I am delighted with the judges decision. Had she won, it would have opened the floodgates for others in her position to do the same. Tragedies like the Manchester Arena bombing show only too clearly that we have terrorists amongst us. We don't need to swell those numbers by bringing back to Britain those whose allegiance is towards brutal regimes such as ISIS.

Buffybee Sat 27-Feb-21 12:04:41

As far as I’m aware, she is automatically allowed Bangladeshi citizenship because her Mother, who died in 2014, was born there.
Her father lives in Bangladesh with his second wife and seems concerned about her, why can’t she go to her Father?
As far as, would she be a danger if she returned to the uk, I wouldn’t like to take that risk, especially after supposedly reformed terrorist, Usman Khan killed two young people, Jack Merritt 25 and Saskia Jones 23 who were active in rehabilitating him.
More would have been killed if brave people hadn’t tackled Usman on London Bridge.
Some people are trying to portray Begum as an innocent girl, living a blameless life in Syria, when in actual fact, intelligence has found she was instrumental in sewing terrorists into their suicide vests and other women have told that she was one of ISIS’s military police and carried a AK-47 to keep others in line.
So far from an innocent....

ILE35 Sat 27-Feb-21 12:22:59

It was the right decision. She made her bed and now should lie in it. I’ve no sympathy for her, she was old enough to know right from wrong and we can’t guarantee she wouldn’t be a threat. Hopefully it’s a deterrent to anyone else thinking of doing the same. I don’t think she should be brought back to face the justice system here as we are far too soft. I can’t imagine what it would be like to have a child do that and if her parents are against what she did then I empathise with them, but that’s their daughter’s doing and no one else’s.

Galaxy Sat 27-Feb-21 12:24:40

Children who are groomed are responsible for their actions. Can people not see where that leads.

rafichagran Sat 27-Feb-21 14:18:50

She was 15 when she left, at that age you know right from wrong.
When she made those statements about the beheaded,that it did not phase her, she was no longer a child.
I agree with the disition and do not feel she should be allowed back to Britain.