Gransnet forums

Chat

How often do your adult children call?

(94 Posts)
Missfoodlove Fri 05-Mar-21 07:49:46

Number 1 a daughter can call me at least twice a day.
Number 2 a son weekly or if he’s on a long car journey.
Number 3 a son when something goes wrong.

When number 3 was away at school we had competition to see who could keep him on the phone the longest!

We have a family WhatsApp group that includes partners.

Number 3 is temporarily living with us after 7 years abroad.
He is amazed at how often his siblings speak to us!

Thisismyname1953 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:05:50

I live with my daughter and her family so only occasional texts or phone calls. DS1 phones about 3 times a week and I’m his childcare provider so see him at pickups . DS2 as OP , when he wants something grin

BlueSky Fri 05-Mar-21 12:06:28

If they don’t get in touch I will if only by text. While my cousin is ‘forbidden’ by her husband to get in touch with her daughter unless the daughter calls first! It makes for a lot of unnecessary stress and unhappiness.

Aveline Fri 05-Mar-21 12:11:13

I hear from DS and DD at least once a week and saw DD and family weekly, sometimes more, before Covid came along. I hope to resume this once the Covid threat has receded.

frenchie Fri 05-Mar-21 12:15:19

FaceTime most days with my DDS, DGD 3 times a week. We WhatsApp a lot during the day!
I ring my parents twice a day and I got my husband to ring his mum daily.
We love talking!!!!

foxie48 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:23:20

D1 has some mental health issues ATM so is in contact a lot, often daily, sometimes twice daily by phone. D2 always calls at least weekly for chats but will whatsapp if she needs something in particular. I tend to let them contact me but if I haven't heard from them or I'm in need of a chat, I'll just give them a call. D2 is a source of kindness and support and is always the first person I would go to if I was upset or worried, not that I abuse that in any way and I know I help her too.

FlexibleFriend Fri 05-Mar-21 13:03:14

Both sons call me pretty much daily.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:05:38

Son whenever he feels like it, or "has a feeling something is wrong" - he and I have a private network, so we know when the other needs us. Generally speaking, I hear from him, or get in touch once a month or so.

Foster-daughter texts frequently and phones more often than our son, but never really tells us her personal news.

Two nieces and nephew: when they want something, so contact has been minimal since my sister died. Sad, but I am not prepared to be the aunt /great-aunt who gives presents she cannot afford and gets nothing - not even a birthday text message in return.

henetha Fri 05-Mar-21 13:07:07

Lots of whatsApping in my family, every day really.
Messages, photos, jokes.

NanaPlenty Fri 05-Mar-21 13:35:16

Daughters 1 and 2 FaceTime just about every day, daughters 3,4,5 in regular contact by WhatsApp and actually speak every few weeks, son 1 - speak every month/six weeks. Quite happy with it all really I think I’m lucky ☺️

tickingbird Fri 05-Mar-21 13:36:28

With 3 sons - normally when they want something grin

Gingerbit Fri 05-Mar-21 13:38:38

Eldest daughter only comes on Christmas day. She lives 100 miles away and she is very busy have not seen her since Christmas 2019 you get one have not had any contact with for 11 yrs blame me for every thing that gone wrong in her life I suppose its better than blaming herself

jenpax Fri 05-Mar-21 13:40:38

I am staying with one AC so I speak to her every day, middle DD is every few days and eldest is daily

jocork Fri 05-Mar-21 13:42:51

DD phones most days, sometimes twice. It has been slightly more during lockdown as I have now retired so if she goes in to work she will phone during both directions as she walks. Son phones once a week on average. He lives abroad and has a young son so keeps me informed about my grandson's milestones so uses video calls. Before he was married his calls were less frequent whereas DD has always rung daily, usually while walking home from work. DS used to express surprise at the frequency of DD's calls!

TerriBull Fri 05-Mar-21 13:49:34

Two to three times a week, often just as we're about to sit down to eat smile plus fairly frequent WhatsApp texts. They ring more often than we ring them, but weekends, if it's coming up to meal times and I'm anticipating a phone call, I ring instead.

handbaghoarder Fri 05-Mar-21 13:58:38

No regular pattern here. Son in Asia regularly through WhatsApp and messenger. Daughter lives locally but loads every day, messages and chat, usually pics of her gorgeous dog. Youngest son staying with us due to covid. Normally hes in London. Chat when we need to and message as/when. Sometimes every couple of days. Sometimes not for a week or more. Ex DIL/ grandsons in Asia at least once a week. Depends what we are all up to. I’m not keen on video calls either, prefer messenger and WA. Couldnt bear the regular “ courtesy call” approach. Want them all to to go off, live their lives and chat when actually have something to say. They all know we are here for them if needed and vice versa. Seems to suit us all fine

Yammy Fri 05-Mar-21 14:04:15

Each family to its own ways. I was brought up to be independent and practised this with mine.
I would worry if there was constant contact especially multiple times in a day.
It works for us we feel no less for each other.

Happysexagenarian Fri 05-Mar-21 14:07:03

Every couple of weeks on average, or sooner if there's a specific reason to call.

jocork Fri 05-Mar-21 14:22:45

I was just about to add another comment when DD phoned. smile I also have the problem TerriBull has of her ringing at the most inconvenient times. If I want to do something without being disturbed I ring DD first, but usually they ring me rather than me ring them. DS seems to pick better times and always says 'Is it a good time?' when I answer, which is nice.

Baggs Fri 05-Mar-21 14:30:28

In answer to the OP, basically never. That's not never never, just hardly ever. Phones as phones, for me, are for conversations of purpose (and you can use text and Whatsapp for many of those nowadays), not for chat.

Whatsapp's also good for group chats with all one's offspring at once but in their own time, so to speak.

Thistlelass Fri 05-Mar-21 14:32:59

Well since I live alone calls and messages from friends and family very important. Literally helping me stay connected. My youngest son lives in London. He maybe calls every 2/3 weeks or vice versa. Messenger information also. My only daughter has been furloughed a year now and so her life has been less frantic. Through the lockdown we have been in contact most days in some form. They gave me a Portal last year and that has been great for chats and seeing my 2 grandchildren. It will change drastically when she has to work again! My eldest son lives in same town and lots of face to face contact there. I have one son I have been estranged from for 7 years. Finally my second youngest son - well you wait a while for him to phone and usually when he wants a favour! The have a very busy household with 5 and 3 year old. DIL just about ready to start her job and my son with his own business. We use Messenger quite a bit.

maydonoz Fri 05-Mar-21 14:39:40

We have frequent calls, WhatsApp messages from 3 sons, DS1 at least every other day to arrange drop off and pick up times, as I look after DGS three days a week while both parents work.
DS2 and DS3 ring or message for a catch up every 2/3 days.
When we are abroad, which we used to be alot pre Covid, we are in regular contact also, especially if they need some technical advice from DH, or health or cookery advice from myself!

Calendargirl Fri 05-Mar-21 15:06:22

I speak to my daughter in Australia once a week.

My son, who lives a few minutes walk away, I rarely phone him, he rings maybe once every two or three weeks. Before Covid, we saw quite a lot of him and the GC, but of course very little the last year.

Jillybird Fri 05-Mar-21 15:08:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kim19 Fri 05-Mar-21 15:26:07

One son every day and the other when he remembers - roughly every fortnight. Don't know which I prefer. I think probably once a week from each would suit me fine but that's not going to happen.

Blinko Fri 05-Mar-21 16:07:33

DS1 and his son, maybe once a month. DS2 rarely...when he or his offspring want something, eg. birthday gifts and the like. I wish it were more often, but hey ho. Maybe if either DH or I were alone, they would be in touch more. Who knows?