Gransnet forums

Chat

Following the other thread: how often do you call your children?

(32 Posts)
kittylester Fri 05-Mar-21 12:17:52

Or do we all wait for our children to do the calling?

misty34 Fri 05-Mar-21 23:38:46

I speak to my daughter and daughter in law everyday, sometimes I initiate call or sometimes they do but it always happens.
I speak to my 3 brothers once a week, spreading calls out over the week. Extended family etc [I have lots of cousins] is more sporadic birthdays or if one of them has news etc.

GrannyRose15 Sat 06-Mar-21 00:05:21

I call my children when I have something to say or something to ask them. They call me occasionally for a chat.

I speak to each of my sisters every week. We always have a long chat.

nanna8 Sat 06-Mar-21 00:11:17

One daughter more or less every day, one once a week, one once a fortnight and the other one now and again, she is super busy at work and not a ‘talker’. They all live within 200 km, 3 of them within 40 km, which isn’t far for us.

muse Sat 06-Mar-21 00:16:13

I send lots of texts to my daughter but leave it to her to ring. I get a ?? or a smile back from her. Her days are so full of work and granddaughter. When she does ring, it's a long long call and sometimes a facetime one.

I text my son and about 1 in 3 times he replies. Again, his work is full on and when he finishes, it's a meal then bed. Weekends are with his daughter, who is with mum (separated).

mokryna Sat 06-Mar-21 00:22:29

It is a very sad situation, back in the day I use to phone to speak to my mother but nowadays I feel I am intruding on DDs’ time and text instead. Texting takes me so long and sometimes misunderstandings can happen very quickly.

vegansrock Sat 06-Mar-21 02:52:24

We have various WhatsApp groups, a general family one with everyone , including my siblings etc on it which tends to have photos of the children, pets, tv recommends, pictures of what anyone’s cooking or their garden etc, usually a few messages a day on that, plus individual ones or smaller group ones . Big zoom meet ups used to be weekly but now about once a month, individual chat on phone with children about once a week, we tend to take it in turns to call, it’s usually me though who does the calling unless they’ve got a favour to ask or a bit of news they don’t want to spread around.