Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(91 Posts)
12Michael Sat 06-Mar-21 06:24:24

Good Morning Everyone,
Its daylight here in Brackley but its dry at the moment and no doubt cold outside this morning.
Today , quiet day , Cycling on TV later this morning , from Italy .
Maybe later will go and get a Chinese Take Away , as I have yet to have one since returning from hospital .
Take Care,
Mick

Mapleleaf Sat 06-Mar-21 08:23:27

Good morning all,

It’s a grey but dry start to the day here in South Yorkshire. No sign of the sun just yet, but it might break through for a while.

Up a bit earlier today as I woke up and couldn’t get back off to sleep so thought a cup of tea would be a better plan rather than tossing and turning and disturbing DH from his slumbers.

Lots of good news for you Pittcity. I hope all the packing goes well and you enjoy your new home. Good to hear you are having your second vaccination. I’m still waiting for my first. I’ve had the letter, but the sites on offer are some distance away, so I rang the surgery and they will text me shortly when it’s time to book an appointment for a much more local venue, so fingers crossed it won’t be too long a wait.

Lovely photos Ashcombe. I don’t think it will be too long before we have tree blossom out, but nothing is on show just yet, only the beautiful daffodils, snowdrops and crocus.

Hope all is going well in the maternity shed, sheepandcattle and that you are not too exhausted.

Another “nothing much happening” day today other than the usual chores. Goodness, we’ll be like children in a sweetie shop once we are allowed to do more, overwhelmed by choice and uncertain what to choose first! Hugging loved ones will be top of my list, especially as some of them have been quite poorly recently. It’s awful not being able to visit, isn’t it? Not long now, I keep telling myself.

To all with troubles and sadness, I send my thoughts to you. ?

Take care, everyone.

Susan56 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:26:19

Good morning from Shropshire where it’s a very chilly start?

A quiet day after two days of childcare.We took the children to the park after school yesterday, they had a lovely time but we were exhausted!

Thinking of all suffering bereavement, illness and worries?

Also thinking of Lins, dragonfly and all our missing goodmorningers?

BlueSapphire Sat 06-Mar-21 08:27:00

Good morning from an overcast Northampton; we have also had a frost but it is thawing now. The papers have just come, so looking forward to the Saturday crosswords.
Nothing else planned for today, but I have plenty of recorded programmes on tv to catch up with. Plus my knitting of course. And a favourite programme, Treasure Quest, to listen to on local radio this morning.
Saw on Facebook yesterday that my surgery will be sending letters out when second vaccinations are due, mine should be in about 4 or 5 weeks time.
Take care and stay safe everyone.

Gelisajams Sat 06-Mar-21 08:29:40

Good morning from a cool grey Morecambe Bay. My post just disappeared mid typing grrrrrr!
I’m feeling a bit delicate this morning as I have a touch of migraine. I hope it passes as I have earmarked today to sort out my gardening shed.
We had an interesting sunset last night, the setting sun turned everything it shone on orange. Not a spectacular sky, but unusual. I will try attaching a photo, but if it doesn’t work I will not keep trying.
Pleased to hear that Gagagran's DH and Sars DD are recovering well after their ops.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

grannysyb Sat 06-Mar-21 08:30:27

Yet again, grey and chilly here, 3 degrees according to my phone. A bit of cleaning this morning, this afternoon I have a hospital appointment, a follow up to my fall last year. Duck breasts for this evening and that's about it! Glad to hear that Gagagrans DH has had his op. Hope everyone has the best day possible.

Grandmabatty Sat 06-Mar-21 08:32:45

Good morning all. 0° in Polmont this morning and cloudy. However the clouds are broken up, not the leaden lumps we've had here for days.
Last night was our family escape room via zoom in honour of dd's big birthday. It was such good fun. I was the communicator and had to lie and persuade various individuals to help us with our plans. Drama Queen Batty loved it. We were also introduced to ds's new girlfriend and that was nice. They've been friends for years and years but have very recently taken their relationship to the next stage. If my children are happy,then I'm happy. I did most of the housework yesterday so today will be a visit to Aldi and change the bedding. It's exciting to hear about your imminent move, Pittcity. And lovely to see trees in blossom, Ashcombe. It's still too cold here for that, although my bulbs are pushing through and the crocuses are flowering. I'm glad to hear your dd is keeping well Ginny. We never stop worrying about them, do we? Nannytopsy, I haven't had cramps for years but I still remember the pain! Right, second cup of coffee now before I begin my day Have a good day all.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:32:50

Good morning Mick and all

It’s grey outside and looks chilly here in S E Essex

Hope your DH had a comfortable night gagagran I do not envy you packing up your home pittcity , hard work but very exciting. I do hope all goes smoothly for you both.

Good to hear your DD is ok Sar53 crack on with your painting grin

Off to local butchers this morning and to get some vegetables is the total of my excitement for today, might go really mad
and put the washing machine on!!!!

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Marydoll Sat 06-Mar-21 08:33:18

Good morning all from Glasgow. As Kalu says, its cloudy and only 2° C. I too shall do a bit of gentle pottering in the garden. I slept very badly due to hip pain and dreamt that we had a huge GN meet up in Bagg's house! All the regular posters were there. It was really bizarre, Sorry Baggs, I have no idea why I was dreaming about you!
GM, it was very kind of you to start off today, even if you didn't know what day it was!wink

First job is to sort the new solar lights, as my SIL, kindly put them up on the trees yesterday, but they are not working. I think he forgot to switch them on. grin
The second task is to drill holes in the fairy doors which came yesterday. I hope my jewellery making Dremel drill will be perfect for the job , without having to ask Mr Huff and Puff to do it!?

Task three is to take photos of our decking, which badly needs replaced. Kalu, the company seem very keen, but I will take your advice re checking them out.
The other company I contacted a week ago are dragging their heels, so I'm ruling them out.

Under my supervision, winkeveryone did a sterling job yesterday. I am hiring out my son in law if anyone needs their windows washed, he did an excellent job, as he is so precise about everything.
DD bagged all the leaves, and took them to the tip, along with the other stuff waiting to go. There is a complicated system for recycling at our tip and DH has been procrastinating. ?
I looked out and there was Mr Foolhardy, balancing on a ladder with a chain saw! Fortunately my SIL was there to keep an eye on him.

The Tesco delivery was a complete disaster yesterday. No milk, out of date bread and NO cream cakes, which I had ordered as a treat for the workers.?
I also received stuff I hadn't ordered. ? Tesco refunded the items and gave me £10 voucher as an apology. All said and done, I still had no bread, nor milk! ?

When I'm needing a bit of fresh air and not up to doing much, I go out and sweep the driveway of leaves. It passes the time, isn't taxing and usually one of neighbours stops to chat.
I was catching up with two DIL's mother, when two women passed on the other side of the road. It was only when they came closer, that I realised that it was my close friend from school out walking with her friend, on the anniversary of her husband's death. Her friend lives near me and she is in a bubble with her.

I haven't seen her, since I started shielding and didn't recognise her, she had gone from a pixie cut to long hair!!! She is attractive, tall, slim and elegant and I always looked like the wee, fat and frumpy teacher beside her. grin
We had been messaging regularly, but I hadn't let on how unwell I am, so I had to come clean, well sort of! Its not something to reveal in a WhatsApp. ☹

So pleased to her Mr Gaga is recovering, you will be relieved when he is at home in his own bed, Gaga
I continue to keep Georgesgran, Merlot, Travelsafar and Dragonfly in my thoughts and prayers.
Auntieflo, hoping you are finding some relief from your debilitating pain. ?

Have a good day everyone.

brook2704 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:38:58

Gorgeous photo of the orange sunset gelisajams and your garden looks lovely too!

Grandmafrench Sat 06-Mar-21 08:39:33

Good Morning everyone from sun-has- just-vanished South of France ??

Wonderful weather yesterday. Hairdressers first thing, then warm baguette, croissants and coffee back home in a lovely sunny corner of the garden, where yesterday it was 18 degrees.

Vet later, where our smallest dog needed a blood test, but miraculously escaped as the Vet’s magic diagnostic machine needed some ‘refills’ which failed to arrive as promised. Nice chat, consultation, no charge.....we’ll go back Tuesday to see if Ludo’s thyroid medication needs tweaking.

Went to buy some wine from the Cave where the owner let me cuddle her new 8 week baby Staffie. Adorable, felt like a Seal pup! Already, if you call her, she runs to your side and sits down. Dog treats are a wonderful thing.....she probably thinks ?.

We had a free bottle of wine and a reduction in the price of our purchases. Lovely to be appreciated for supporting small businesses.
On then to the beach for a stroll amongst the dunes. Tide was on the turn so dogs can be a bit too keen to investigate the water’s edge sometimes. Fortunately yesterday no beach full of jellyfish or even, as once, a little dead goat ?, ?but off the lead we do need to keep an eye on them. Hunting dogs forever hunting!

Evenings are lighter, mornings too. The Spring colours are wonderful and there’s blossom everywhere.
I’m still weary from our Vaccine appointment - 700kms was a tough drive, but so worth it, and I feel a lot more optimistic about months to come.

So shocked and sad for you, Georgesgran. Please take life very slowly until you feel a bit stronger. Hopefully the kind thoughts and wishes from all the Grans here will help just a little with your pain and loss x ?

Have the best Saturday, all, and be resolved to ? smile at something today. Wishing you sunbeams, warm breezes, the scent of Spring flowers ? and the optimism to just keep going! Nearly there now....

Hugs, ?‍♀️?

Greyduster Sat 06-Mar-21 08:44:42

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Maple has our South Yorkshire weather spot on today. We are not doing much today (surprise surprise!); I am trying a cake recipe that DD sent me, and DH is cleaning the car, then he will be glued the footy on tv.

Pitt it will be all systems go for you now, then. Good luck with the packing. I hope this will be a good move for you!

Have a good day folks

Gagagran Sat 06-Mar-21 08:51:53

Morning everyone! The sun is shining and I am feeling much better after the best sleep for a long time. It was daylight when I woke up which gave me a surprise as I am used to creeping round in the dark when I get up at my usual crack of dawn.

Spoke to DH who is sore but not in much pain and very chipper. He is in the private wing of the hospital which has been commandeered for us ordinary folk as they try to get through the backlog of operations. He said it's no different to the room he had when he was in last summer for 5 weeks but of course he is in a much better state than he was then.
He is waiting to hear what and when he can start to eat again now.

I have been for my paper and put a wash on, and updated family with a health report so am a bit late on here - sorry folks!

DDiL scalded her right hand on their Quooker yesterday which meant a trip to A and E for them - another worry last night but she tells me she is in much less pain today. I have always been wary of those things and consider them dangerous.

Thanks again everyone for all your kind messages. Gransnet at its best. xx sunshine

cornergran Sat 06-Mar-21 08:53:50

Morning Mick, morning All. Our corner of Somerset began bright now the clouds are arriving. It was very chilly, perhaps will warm up a little now. We’ve a visit to our bubble son later so today will be a good one, or will if I can wake up, sleep seemed to miss me out last night. Good news about your husband gagagran, a busy week ahead for you pittcity. Hope someone brought you some bread and milk marydoll, maybe a cream cake or two as well.

Take care everyone, special thoughts for those with heavy hearts.

Stilllearning Sat 06-Mar-21 08:56:39

Morning from a still and cold S Lanarkshire. A thorough clean of the bathroom today, washing down walls etc to complete a ‘cleaning week’ which was badly needed. Then the excitement of opening a parcel which arrived yesterday, I still leave post etc for a day or two. It’s a new bread bin, because after a year of looking at my higgelty piggelty kitchen, I have to embarked on an attempt to streamline it. This is what I am reduced to ?
A surprise yesterday was delivery of a package flowers from my Oban girl. They arrive in a flat box but look really lovely after two days.so something to look forward to.
Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Pittcity Sat 06-Mar-21 08:58:16

Thank you all for your good wishes. We will be in a smaller more manageable house in the town centre. There is a lovely park between us and our larder, so not as handy as Urmston's

BTW I will be sending Urmston a full valuation by pigeon post grin

Urmstongran Sat 06-Mar-21 08:59:48

Good morning everyone from South Manchester where it’s dry and cold. Himself will be going on a bike ride this afternoon with our 8y old boy wonder. I shall meet up with the rest of the little family in the park for a walk and talk. It’s lovely to see them all once a week, weather permitting. It’s only 5 minutes from the square. I shall put on extra layers and take over some coffees for us in a little ‘egg tray’ type carrier.

Will shower & hairwash on return, put on clean pj’s and order curry for tonight.

Time to get cracking - Saturday = fried bacon & egg on toast.

Hope Saturday is good to us all. Great news about second jabs Pantglas and Pittcity! Plus you’re on the move Pittcity how exciting. Lovely description of life in France GrandmaFrench makes me eager to get on a plane again, sit in the sun and stroll along the paseo looking at the sparkling Mediterranean again! That said, my sister who lives in Casares now they’ve retired, said it was cold and raining where they are yesterday. Stopped me feeling envious.

Loved that orange sunset Gelisajam and your dry stone wall is gorgeous.

Thinking of our missing posters this weekend. Hope you all come back soon. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Pittcity Sat 06-Mar-21 09:01:38

We are only getting our first jab as we are mere spring chickens!!

Urmstongran Sat 06-Mar-21 09:04:41

Oops! Sorry. I did think you were super lucky!!
?

Kalu Sat 06-Mar-21 09:06:06

What a lovely dream Marydoll. If Baggs reads this; you won’t mind if we turn up at yours I’m sure. ?. Good luck with your search finding someone to do your decking. Coming up with ideas is the best part, finding someone to do the job is a different story.

Berylsgranny Sat 06-Mar-21 09:27:47

May I join? Been watching this thread for a while. It's a glorious sunny but cold day here but so nice for a walk which I intend to today. So much to keep an eye on on this thread and I'm not sure if I will remember everything everyone is doing so forgive me please. Hoping everyone has a good day, sun lifts your spirits.

GrannySomerset Sat 06-Mar-21 09:39:06

Early sun has now vanished behind thin cloud and it is still very chilly, but with nothing in the diary a walk to the village and maybe some gardening will fill the day. A friend passed on a bag of dark brown sugar which she bought in error and doesn’t like or use, so I may make a ginger cake to share with her. That’s quite enough for one day!

Hope Marydoll gets her cream cake, that the various convalescents makes good progress and that the bereaved and suffering know that we are thinking of them.

Auntieflo Sat 06-Mar-21 09:40:16

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all. Dry and bright here, but probably cold.
Had my visit to the oncologist yesterday, and was given a handful of pamphlets to read, regarding the tablets that I shall have to take after an assessment by the nurses. I will have to start having an infusion, 4 weekly, of a substitute for the Alendronic acid that I take at present. Regular blood tests are also forecast. DH and DD were with me, she taking copious notes as usual. As we have my brother's funeral in a couple of weeks, the consultant said that I could start my treatment afterwards, as my immune system would likely be lowered. I must admit to feeling low after the visit.
Still, today is another day, and we need to do a shop for fresh items.
Love to see the pictures that are posted with signs of spring.

Glad to hear that Gagagran's DH is recovering well, and also Sar53 DD .
Thinking of Merlot, Dragonfly,and Georgesgran.
Marydoll, please don't go overdoing things.
Take care everyone, and have a good day.

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 09:41:47

Good morning Mick and all from dry but cold Anglesey.
A warm welcome to Berylsgranny, where are you in the world?
Glad you had a good sleep at last Gagagran and hope Mr Gaga is safely home soon.
Exciting news Pittcity, looking forward to hearing about your lovely new home in due course.
Super photos of blossom trees, blue sea and a gorgeous sunset.
Thinking of our bereaved friends coping with their sadness.
Wishing you all a random pink flamingo in the Lego of life. grandMattie knows what I mean.

Marydoll Sat 06-Mar-21 09:42:41

Grannysomerset, I would have made cream cakes, but the cream was missing too! However, I have a few tired strawberries, which I will turn into strawberry tarts. I am the master of invention.
We also have some tired oranges and lemons, which may go into a sponge cake.

Weicome, Berylsgranny!

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 09:44:40

Auntieflo, such a struggle for you flowers.